Graphics card update help.

blackadder3rd

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Hello guys and gals.

I'm updating my wife's pc. She doing a lot of video and photo editing. She has a Gateway 700GR with a ATI X300SE.

Budget: Up to $100.00

Thanks everyone.

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
The problem with video and photo editing is that you rely more on CPU power and memory. Sure, the graphics card allows you to see video/photo's and the video chip part on the GPU does lend itself to the quality more so than with the speed.

I stand to be corrected, but the graphics card segment of your update will not add too much to the purpose of what your wife is doing.

How does she capture video onto the PC?

rags_20

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
+1 customisbetter

On a side note, you say guys and gals. Do you really think there are 'gals' out on this forum? Just asking out of curiosity.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008

WRU Jennyh? LOL

Yes, there are. More and more "gals" are getting into serious gaming.

To the OP's concerns: For video and photo editing, along with what Vokofpolisiekar said concerning CPU power being more relative than GPU power, I'd say accurate color reproduction should be a top concern.

Side note:

Intelligent, tech-aware and tech-minded women are just plain awesome. The few I've had the pleasure of knowing in my life gave us so much more to talk about. Women who aren't into gadgets and gizmos tend to become somewhat annoying when it comes to using such things when they always ask me to do this or that for them... sigh... Sure, I feel useful, but after a while, it becomes aggravating. Such was the case with my Mom (forgive me Mom) when she always asked me to reprogram her VCR after a power outage despite my having written down and taping the directions to the top of the dang thing. I love my Mom. I just wish she would have learned to do it herself after all those years. Thank goodness for more modern technology and the ease of TiVo! LOL

@blackadder3rd: how is the Prince Regent these days old boy?
Agree with customisbetter, the 9500 would be a nice match but you might also want to add some extra RAM, that system only has 1Gb as standard unles you`ve increased that already.