drkailinium

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
I am having serious problems (still) with my pc the heating in pc is really messed up. My CPU and MPH (thats the Northbridge right?) are getting very hot the CPU, MB, cooler and RAM (plus settings) are part of a overclockers bundle so its not like I have pushed it past what its supposed to go past (they test it before hand).But I have just found that it can crash in prolonged playing of CPU intensive games (the two so far are Far Cry 2 and bad company 2). There seem to be no other problems with the hardware which I have check over. I assume it must be a problem with the amount of thermal paste I put on the CPU as when I tried to move around the cooler I accidently rubbed off most of the paste and the problem got worse (as you can tell I am rather an idiot). So is thermal paste the problem? or could it be how I mounted the cooler?

my system
Windows 7
i7 930 4GHz
6GB 1.6GHz RAM
2x5870 1GB
750 Watt Coursair PSU
640GB HDD

get some arctic silver or any other good thermal paste and re-do the mounting (put just a thin film of paste on processor - it is designed to fill in minute imperfections in contact between the cpu and the heatsink, not as an additional layer; less is more in this case).
run prime95 for a day or so, checking temps all the time.
If temps get high, I would suggest resetting to default clocks and running these tests again.
If temps are now OK, then yes, it's a cooling problem by design; the cooler can not dissipate the extra heat generated when overclocking. If really need overclock, start again little by little in small increments and run these tests in between.
It's a PITA, but really, you want this done properly, instead of having to deal with crashes all the time.

Plumble

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
First of all re-seat the CPU fan. If you take the CPU fan off, you have to clean, and the re-apply thermal paste. As you already did that, you need to sort it soon.

How high are you tempsand what are you using to measure them?

drkailinium

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
to give more info without overclock my idle temp is about 43-44 Celsius and with overclock (before i buggered up the thermal paste completely) was about 64-68 as read by core temp. Also to stress the point I did not overclock it it came overclocked as part of a bundle from overclockers they do extensive tests to make sure it works so thats why I think its me not the overclock.

I doubt that you will encounter significant performance increases from overclocking with day-to-day activities. Even gaming, I always prefer stability vs. gaining a few fps. The testing done by the overclockers for sure did not last a whole day under stress. I would take that more as an assurance that the components are of good quality, able to handle stress.
I would re-do the re-seating and stick with stock speeds. Those idle temps that you posted assure me that under stress the temp will not go above 70-something.
If overclocked the idle temp is already 68, then under stress prolly you're pushing 90. That will invite short life span for your cpu and instability.

HSF for overclocking very good for Proc healthy keep Cool although you don't OC LOL, adding 2 fan for exhaust

cinnaman

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
Another issue that could cause crashes after prolonged use is too low a Vcore. causing instability, run prime 95 and time how long it takes to crash if it's your vcore it should only take around 20 mins at most.

cinnaman

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
well im kinda surprised its over heating at 64-68 a i7 can take a lot more than that. specially the 930's they are built to OC to 4.0ghz i'll ask a stupid question is there anything restircting air flow to your case? like a book ontop of it or in a really tight area? And check inside if you have 5LBS. or wires packed between your intake and your mobo that will cause issues though i dont see why it is overheating at so low a temp. RMA time?

OMG sorry i just re read your last statement. i though 68C was your load. if thats your idle damn. well if it is call the manufacture and send us a pic of your heat sink cause im asumming its the stock heat sink in which case the maufacture should have told you they weren't gunna upgrade it.