GA-EP45-UD3P And Vista 64 bit install

GEOJO2

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
I have been having alot of problems installing vista 64 bit on my new build. So far I replaced my ram and mobo

I was getting pool errors etc. when vista is installing while loading files and is about 1/4 way thru the install process.

I finally got it installed when I took out one stick of ram...I guess it did not install right because when I started it up it said there was problems and wanted to start in safe mode.. Plus when Iinstalled the drivers from my Gigabyte disk it kept shutting down. When the screen came back up it would continue installing the drivers. I can't see how these drivers were installed properly. This morning when i started it back up my video card was missing and defauted back to the reg. windows card.

Also when I installed the other stick of ram it wanted to start in the safe mode.. I just took it as to shut the computer down, disconnect the power, install the other stick of ram and power up. Was there something else I should have done??

I did notice that when I was installing vista there was a spot where I could "LOAD DRIVER". Was I supposed to load a driver in there from my gigabyte disk???????. Or is just something I should disreguard?? In the gigabyte manual it says: The procedure assumes that only one RAID exists on your system.. What does this mean???? Well anyway, right now I erased my HD back to -0-'s. Cleared the CMOS Values, And set the mobo to load optimized defaults.

I am waiting to see If I can get some advice first before installing vista again.

My PC: Case Antec Sonata
Power Sup Corsair 650
Intel Core2 Quad 9550
G Skill 4gb 2x2 GB DDR2 SDRAM 1066
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P MoBo
WD 1 TB HD
Zalman CPU Fan
GeForce GTX 260 Video Card
Samsung DVD

GEOJO2

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Thanks, I will change the setting on the ram.

Should I just go ahead and install Vista on the one stick of ram? That seems to be the only way I got vista to install the first time. If I do this with the one stick ram will I have to go back into the bios when the second stick is installed???

Also right now my Hard Disk Boot Priority is:
first boot=floppy (don't have one)
sec boot=HD
third boot= CDROM
Is this OK or should i change the 1st boot to CDROM?

Should I just go ahead and install Vista on the one stick of ram?

Yeah, that's fine. Until the OS and system drivers are installed, one DIMM keeps it simple. Set the DIMM to specs in BIOS before loading the appliation (Vista) voltage, speed and timings. RAM is often the cause of system failure when loading software.

That seems to be the only way I got vista to install the first time. If I do this with the one stick ram will I have to go back into the bios when the second stick is installed???

When you get to BIOS, the RAM can be set to specs. right from the start.

Also right now my Hard Disk Boot Priority is:
first boot=floppy (don't have one)
sec boot=HD
third boot= CDROM
Is this OK or should i change the 1st boot to CDROM?

To load the Vista DVD, set the first boot device to DVD, Vista is a DVD. After the DVD is installed boot priority should be set manually to look more like:

1 = HD
2 = DVD
3 = floppy

If you never use the floppy, consider disabling it in BIOS so the machine boots faster not wasting time looking for it to initialize it into the system. You can always reenable it if you need the drive. Settin the HD as first boot device makes for a beter boot up time also.

GEOJO2

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Yes, everything is OK now. On my last post I more or less said the same thing but after that I started coming up with shutdown problems and blue screens. I e-mailed G.Skill and they came up with some solutions on altering the bios to make the ram compatable with the Mobo and so far, so good.

Thanks for your wisdom. It was well appreciated