Thermaltake v9 case fans

D3LTA09

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
Just thought id ask this because Im sure this is not just me being stupid, my thermaltake v9 gaming case comes standard with 2 120mm and a 230mm case fan but the fan plugs are 4 pin molex females (this annoys me to start off with as I like to run my fans into my mobo) and therefore cant plug into my corsair hx-1000 psu as funnily enough all psu molex plugs are female too. (could have my female and male round the wrong way but you get the idea)

Has any1 got a psu with male molex plugs? None of mine ever have from memory. I couldnt even find a male to male molex adapter which is strange in itself but just further reinforces the point that, why would a mfg make fans that cant be pluged in without an adapter or extra moding? Or does every psu brand except TT and corsair have said molex plugs and ive just overlooked this?

To fix the problem I just cut off the molex plugs and wired up the fans to 3pin plugs to go into my mobo headers. So its not a problem but I always meant to ask this so I have.

Also I had always heard people saying that you can fry your mobo some how using the fan headers, can someone explain this to me as well? Would be quite annoyed if I killed my p6t deluxe.

Finally as my fans have only a ground and positive wire I cant read or adjust RPM, I assume there is no way I can run a signal wire into the fans?

any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Er, male has prongs, female has slots to put prongs in. Moving on . . .

The boys and girls in this picture seem to be anatomically correct:

http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/thermaltake_v9/index6.php

- Nice fix on the wiring.

- Dunno anything about frying a mobo that way.

- Fans that have a tachometer come with the three pin plug. Those that don't . . . don't.

D3LTA09

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
Thanks for the reply, Just found something interesting on the 2 120mm fans that came with it. when you lift the TT sticker up there is a 3rd terminal with no wire coming out of it that you could solder a sensor wire to and thus get RPM reading/control so gona give it a go when I get a spare moment.

D3LTA09

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
Will do once I get home, this may sound a little stupid but what kind of voltage output am I looking for when I test it?

Any lol.

Seriously, I don't really know how the tachs work, but the simplest way would be some kind of DC pulse the timing of which would increase with fan speed. Normally I'd say a 5V pulse, but in any case its likely be lower than the minimum operating voltage of the fan.

Another way would be an analog signal, ie, a voltage proportional to the speed of the fan.

I'd check low voltage, both AC (may show a pulse better than DC) and DC. If you get any needle movement, it's worth assuming the tach is operating.

Or just solder it up lol.

D3LTA09

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
Lol roger that, Think Il test it before I solder anything as really cbf going through hassle if its just going to mean Il have a pretty yellow wire that does nothing.

Just had an thought, Il check a similar 120mm fan that does have the sensor wire already and see what kind of readings I get and then compare.

D3LTA09

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
Dont worry havent forgotten! just need some free time at home, at the library studying pretty much every hour Im awake atm.

D3LTA09

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
Had a bit of a play around today, and theres no voltage output from the terminal, all though I checked a fan that does have a sensor wire and the output was about .001 volt so almost could of been my cheap volt meter not reading. But any way tried soldering a wire into there and put a terminal on the end and plugged it in but didnt work. This was on a arctic cooling 80mm fan I had lying around which had the extra terminal as well. couldnt be bothered removing my case fan.

So not looking so good atm, but gona try a few more things tommorow with different fans etc.

On a side note I installed a 120mm 1900rpm scythe fan onto my mugen 2 cooler today and god its loud and temp difference was only a couple of degrees in the end so back to stock 1200rpm scythe fan.

Thanks for the info on the tach. Shame it doesn't work.

Is your mobo controlling the cooler fan, or is it set to run at 100%? Because if the two fans make the same noise at the same rpm, maybe they are both running at 100%? Which might not be necessary for the faster fan.