Sign in with
Your question

Help Choosing an SSD

Last response: in Storage
October 5, 2010 11:54:54 PM

Hi all. I am looking to get an SSD as part of a partial upgrade to my system and I have a few questions.

Aside from storage size, what do you look for in an SSD? Are the differences in read/write speeds noticeable? Is there something else I should be looking for (aside from user feedback)?

I am considering:

OCZ Agility 2 OCZSSD2-2AGTE60G 2.5" 60GB for about $150 ($130 after rebate) which reads/writes at about 280 MB/s.

Kingston SSDNow V Series SNV425-S2/64GB 2.5" 64GB for $120 with reads/writes at 200/110 MB/s.

It seems like the OCZ would be the better drive, but I don't know too much about this topic and want a little feedback before I buy it.

Thanks!

More about : choosing ssd

a c 99 G Storage
October 7, 2010 2:13:45 AM

OCZ. Stay away from Kingston (that's why they are on sale/cheaper).

Once the OS is installed (writes), boots/loads (reads) are what SSD are all about, with ubber-fast access times.

As long as you have Windows 7, which automatically adjust settings & stuff for the SSD, all will be good.
m
l
a b G Storage
October 7, 2010 2:48:42 AM

^+100. YES. Get the OCZ. The Kingston V series is pretty low end and not worth the money.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b G Storage
October 7, 2010 3:28:02 AM

Better yet the Intel 80m is on sale for 179 or something.
m
l
October 7, 2010 11:57:49 AM

foscooter said:
OCZ. Stay away from Kingston (that's why they are on sale/cheaper).

Once the OS is installed (writes), boots/loads (reads) are what SSD are all about, with ubber-fast access times.

As long as you have Windows 7, which automatically adjust settings & stuff for the SSD, all will be good.

So read and write is what I am looking for mainly. Thanks.

Can anyone explain the difference between the OCZ Agility 2 and the OCZ Vertex 2?

The Vertix has a 4k random write aligned value of 50k IOPS, while the Agility has 10k. I don't know what that means, though.
m
l
a b G Storage
October 8, 2010 3:46:37 AM

Indilinx vs sandforce. The Vertex 2 drives use sandforce controllers and, therefore, are top of the heap as of today.
m
l
a b G Storage
October 8, 2010 10:38:47 PM

^ Basically, yeah.

Quote:

Which read/writes? Random or sequential? A RAID0/10 set up with F3s,etc can do about the same sequential read/write as a SSD.
m
l
October 9, 2010 12:26:26 AM

Shadow703793 said:
^ Basically, yeah.

Quote:

Which read/writes? Random or sequential? A RAID0/10 set up with F3s,etc can do about the same sequential read/write as a SSD.

I don't know. I was just replying to foscooter who stated reads/writes are important, so I was looking at the sequential speeds.

I mentioned the difference in random speeds for the Agility 2 and the Vertex 2, and the Vertex was recommended. An article I read on Anandtech mentioned higher numbers here is better, so I guess that is what differentiates these two drives.

Again, I really am not that well versed in all this yet. Thanks.
m
l
a b G Storage
October 9, 2010 2:04:50 AM

^ I think foscooter was referring to the random read/write. And yes, higher 4K read/random makes a difference in an SSD esp. for an OS drive. And yes, higher the better.
m
l
a c 99 G Storage
October 18, 2010 7:06:13 PM

Based on what you originally asked, the link you provided, and other websites, I just picked up an OCZ Agility 2 60GB SSD for my other rig. Works great!

It has the SandForce1200 controller, too.

I will post benchmarks once I'm done installing everything, as I got sidetracked.
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 21, 2010 11:06:52 PM

Buy the Samsung 64GB SSD drive for sale on NewEgg today for $114.99. It's got much higher performance than the value drives from OCZ and Kingston. And Samsung, unlike the other manufacturers, makes the flash and the controller. Most source their flash from Samsung and add 3rd party controllers.
m
l
a b G Storage
October 21, 2010 11:26:28 PM

^ What's your point? Show me a single benchmark/testing where the Samsung controller beats the Sand Force 1200. The Vertex 2/ Agility 2 are NOT value drives. They are some of the highest performing drives out there. They are only beaten by some of the highest end Enterprise SLC based SSDs.
m
l
a b G Storage
October 22, 2010 12:12:01 AM

Guys, the OP's gone. There is no point discussing this further. Contacted a mod to lock this.
m
l
!