Ati 9.4 drivers are out

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I'll skip this driver.

9.3 was good for me though. It gave me a noticeable improvement in crysis and crysis wars. I think it helped for GTA IV too.

If you're unsure of it's benefits it's a good idea to wait and see what Brown can do for you, errr.... what the new drivers offer you.

I usually upgrade to whatever I can get, but then again I like to tweak them and test them anyways.

Rags, what's the point of your post? Other than trolling? Both are pretty much the same quality wise (why else would nV have launced, err... leaked 4 Betas in a single week?).

This thead is about the new drivers, stick to it, not Red vs Green.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
well, red vs green is a viable thing to argue, imo. I love NV's constant driver releases and their support, Ati...not so much. Though, if I had to choose, I'd go with ATi, the 48** series has been phenomenal for me, and my favorite card ever was the X1950XTX (GDDR4 FTW!)

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
FYI, I just tested the new auto tune feature last night, it clocked my 4850 too high and blue screened. Looks like there are still some bugs of their new Auto-tune feature that needs to be worked out

Sure in another thread, cause this is the thread about this driver, you don't have input on the driver itself, go elsewhere (especially outside of the ATi forum).
I don't give a FAQ if you like one or the other IHV. S3's drivers are better than both, so there!

I'm sick, meaning no skiing this long weekend, so not going to put up with this stuff today; and if I need to punt the punters I have no problem doing so and you can whine to the site Admins.

Get the hint? [:thegreatgrapeape:4]

Stick to the driver itself, pretty simple. And if you don't use it then move along !

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
Just tested 9.4, and I am so happy to report that Brothers in arms hells highway is fianally working properly! Even though it did not say anything about it in the release notes. I am having a blast playing it.

Also, like Kyeana says, the auto tuner is still whacky. It wanted to clock my 48701Gb to 840 Core and get this.... 1130 Memory! Of course it resulted in a BSOD. I felt like it was going to keep going and going and fry my card! My advice, stick with Riva tuner.

Ape: Calm down man, I'm not trying to start any trouble here, hope you feel better.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
Well, it did the core first, then memory, while keeping the core clock at the new frequency. But who really knows.

Bad news, just tried out Empire Total War, and....looks like these drivers completely have corrupted my game. It is really unplyable. Now ETW has a lot of problems, but it never gave me this much trouble on 9.3

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008

Witcher plays fine here with 9.4 (2 4870 X2s). Empire Total War needed to be reinstalled, just don't delete the saved games. When you upgrade drivers it is common for game to need to be reinstalled, so try that.

Well if it dosent bring any improvements then im not bothering, guess i may as well mention in case its of any relevance to anyone who joins the thread that these drivers dont support any cards below the 2000 series.

Mactronix

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008

That is the generic freeze in the game. It is likely caused by an unstable overclock, bad installation, corrupted drivers, or an old version of DirextX if it is DX9.

Not til maybe CAT 9.6, or quarterly, as theyve dropped the monthly updates on the 1xxx and older cards

I believe its been "established" as quarterly, and itll be in the listings as usual. The older cards have gotten most of everything theyre going to get.. OpenCL etc, who knows if it/they will be compatible down the line?

Hmmm, I took off my OC, tested RAM, underclocked my GPU, and tried multiple ATI driver versions. The times varied, but the freezes would still happen. I do have DX9, so I'll check that, and maybe re-install the game (hoping it keeps my saves). Nothing else I have crashes.

rags_20

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
Can there be stability issues if you have nvidia drivers for your previous card installed and install catalyst on top of it for an ATI card? I still have my old nvidia drivers of my old card and I think there are stability problems.