Your question

Ati 9.4 drivers are out

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 8, 2009 7:35:14 PM

The new ATI 9.4 drivers are out ;) 

Looks like the biggest change is the New ATI OverDrive auto-tuning application

More about : ati drivers

April 9, 2009 8:05:25 AM

:sigh: How I wish ATI drivers were as good as the Nvidia ones.

Oh, and what is the change?
April 9, 2009 1:13:53 PM

I'll skip this driver.

9.3 was good for me though. It gave me a noticeable improvement in crysis and crysis wars. I think it helped for GTA IV too.
Related resources
April 9, 2009 3:15:11 PM

If you're unsure of it's benefits it's a good idea to wait and see what Brown can do for you, errr.... what the new drivers offer you.

I usually upgrade to whatever I can get, but then again I like to tweak them and test them anyways.

Rags, what's the point of your post? Other than trolling? Both are pretty much the same quality wise (why else would nV have launced, err... leaked 4 Betas in a single week?).

This thead is about the new drivers, stick to it, not Red vs Green.
April 9, 2009 3:33:35 PM

well, red vs green is a viable thing to argue, imo. I love NV's constant driver releases and their support, Ati...not so much. Though, if I had to choose, I'd go with ATi, the 48** series has been phenomenal for me, and my favorite card ever was the X1950XTX (GDDR4 FTW!)
April 9, 2009 3:53:43 PM

ATI 9500 pro for me
April 9, 2009 5:44:06 PM

FYI, I just tested the new auto tune feature last night, it clocked my 4850 too high and blue screened. Looks like there are still some bugs of their new Auto-tune feature that needs to be worked out

April 9, 2009 6:36:16 PM

Annisman said:
well, red vs green is a viable thing to argue, imo...

Sure in another thread, cause this is the thread about this driver, you don't have input on the driver itself, go elsewhere (especially outside of the ATi forum).
I don't give a FAQ if you like one or the other IHV. S3's drivers are better than both, so there!

I'm sick, meaning no skiing this long weekend, so not going to put up with this stuff today; and if I need to punt the punters I have no problem doing so and you can whine to the site Admins.

Get the hint? [:thegreatgrapeape:4]

Stick to the driver itself, pretty simple. And if you don't use it then move along !
April 9, 2009 6:50:10 PM

Just tested 9.4, and I am so happy to report that Brothers in arms hells highway is fianally working properly! Even though it did not say anything about it in the release notes. I am having a blast playing it.

Also, like Kyeana says, the auto tuner is still whacky. It wanted to clock my 48701Gb to 840 Core and get this.... 1130 Memory! Of course it resulted in a BSOD. I felt like it was going to keep going and going and fry my card! My advice, stick with Riva tuner.

Ape: Calm down man, I'm not trying to start any trouble here, hope you feel better.
April 9, 2009 6:52:45 PM

Wheres the spikes?
April 9, 2009 6:55:01 PM

OK, OT. Im wondering if its giving highest mem and core without combining the 2 and causing the crashing?
April 9, 2009 7:19:50 PM

Well, it did the core first, then memory, while keeping the core clock at the new frequency. But who really knows.

Bad news, just tried out Empire Total War, and....looks like these drivers completely have corrupted my game. It is really unplyable. Now ETW has a lot of problems, but it never gave me this much trouble on 9.3
April 9, 2009 7:31:53 PM

Gah, the Witcher is crashing now too!
April 9, 2009 7:38:44 PM

I wonder if it will fix a graphics issue in Sacred 2 where the game keeps running, but the screen is frozen...
April 9, 2009 7:46:18 PM

Annisman said:
Gah, the Witcher is crashing now too!

Witcher plays fine here with 9.4 (2 4870 X2s). Empire Total War needed to be reinstalled, just don't delete the saved games. When you upgrade drivers it is common for game to need to be reinstalled, so try that.
April 9, 2009 7:47:42 PM

Well if it dosent bring any improvements then im not bothering, guess i may as well mention in case its of any relevance to anyone who joins the thread that these drivers dont support any cards below the 2000 series.

Mactronix
April 9, 2009 7:47:44 PM

Onus said:
I wonder if it will fix a graphics issue in Sacred 2 where the game keeps running, but the screen is frozen...

That is the generic freeze in the game. It is likely caused by an unstable overclock, bad installation, corrupted drivers, or an old version of DirextX if it is DX9.
April 9, 2009 7:54:05 PM

mactronix said:
Well if it dosent bring any improvements then im not bothering, guess i may as well mention in case its of any relevance to anyone who joins the thread that these drivers dont support any cards below the 2000 series.

Mactronix

Not til maybe CAT 9.6, or quarterly, as theyve dropped the monthly updates on the 1xxx and older cards
April 9, 2009 8:05:47 PM

I hope they are clear on when they will be relevant or indeed include anything of benefit for those people using older hardware.

Mactronix
April 9, 2009 8:16:41 PM

I believe its been "established" as quarterly, and itll be in the listings as usual. The older cards have gotten most of everything theyre going to get.. OpenCL etc, who knows if it/they will be compatible down the line?
April 9, 2009 8:19:46 PM

The_Blood_Raven said:
That is the generic freeze in the game. It is likely caused by an unstable overclock, bad installation, corrupted drivers, or an old version of DirextX if it is DX9.

Hmmm, I took off my OC, tested RAM, underclocked my GPU, and tried multiple ATI driver versions. The times varied, but the freezes would still happen. I do have DX9, so I'll check that, and maybe re-install the game (hoping it keeps my saves). Nothing else I have crashes.
April 9, 2009 9:25:31 PM

You should be able to manually back up your save files, just to remove that worry
April 10, 2009 3:21:01 AM

Can there be stability issues if you have nvidia drivers for your previous card installed and install catalyst on top of it for an ATI card? I still have my old nvidia drivers of my old card and I think there are stability problems.
April 10, 2009 4:18:30 AM

yea you got to remove all the nvidia stuff (use driver sweeper) before installing the ati drivers
April 10, 2009 4:58:01 AM

if you're playing farcry2 then stay away from 9.4 . .

i just lost 6 fps on average lolerskates. im stickin with 9.3
April 10, 2009 9:13:36 AM

@ kyeana

I think I'm just going to reinstall OS. I prefer fresh installs.
April 10, 2009 9:35:32 AM

*** ed up steam for me. no games work on it now, just loads up the valve bit and then the screen stays black and i cant exit so i have 2 restart the pc.

April 10, 2009 11:52:19 AM

The_Blood_Raven said:
Witcher plays fine here with 9.4 (2 4870 X2s). Empire Total War needed to be reinstalled, just don't delete the saved games. When you upgrade drivers it is common for game to need to be reinstalled, so try that.

Thats certainly news to me...
April 10, 2009 2:08:09 PM

FYI, just got a blue screen caused by the 9.4 drivers when i was waking windows from sleep mode (no OC on cards).

I don't think that has happened to me sense roughly the 8.11/8.12 drivers.
April 10, 2009 2:29:38 PM

I'm doing OK with the drivers, except that any amount of AA in Far Cry 2 amounts to a 10-20 FPS hit.
April 10, 2009 4:11:49 PM

these drivers look like another fail for the red team, when I'm done playing BIA:HH I am gonna go back to 9.3
April 10, 2009 8:26:27 PM

Haven't had a single problem with 9.4 so far, playing lotro, mass effect and a little bit of the witcher. The new Overdrive auto-clock is ridiculous, although it might be more accurate than the old version. It seems to take forever and I dislike that silly screensaver while it's doing it.

The old autotune would put my 4870 as high as 840/1100 memory but it's really only stable at 800/1000, 820/1050 on a good cold day. The 9.4 autotune reckoned 780 core was the best bet but it was taking so long I had to stop it and just clocked it by hand instead lol.

Also, has anyone noticed that alt tabbing seems a lot faster? It feels much better with 9.4 but i dunno if I'm just imaging it.
April 10, 2009 8:40:01 PM

Scratch that about Overdrive being more accurate. I just tried it again and it reckons a huge 5mhz overclock on the memory is the best I should go for. :p 

Overclock it manually and forget the autotune exists, it's rubbish.
April 10, 2009 9:39:34 PM

Recommendations please...

I have a ATI HD3850 AGP 512MB card, but my driver set is the CCC 8.12 package.

I just upgraded my machine from an ATI 9250 and 512 MB system RAM to the above card and replaced my PC-133 RAM with Corsair DDR2 2x 1GB sticks (2G total), and a 500w PSU to drive all this.

So far, I can now play S.T.A.L.K.E.R., F.E.A.R. (haven't tried FEAR 2), Dead Space, and Freelancer, all on high graphics modes. I haven't seen any problems with the driver set I have installed.

Is there any compelling reasons I should try the 9.4 driver set?
April 11, 2009 7:09:20 AM

If you are happy with your performance then there is no reason at all to change.
Depending on your CPU you may see some improvement as 9.2 and above have been said to help where performance is CPU limited.
Personally im still running on 8.11 My system has a 3850 PCIE 2GB Ram and a E4600. I have seen no need to upgrade yet.

Mactronix
April 11, 2009 12:26:35 PM

Thanks mactronix.

If it matters, I have a single core P-4 531 @ 3GHz, and standard clocking on all components in my box. For what I'm doing now, and the games I play (at the moment) everything seems just fine.

So I guess I should stay where I'm at then, right?

Thanks again!
April 11, 2009 12:43:32 PM

Well on balance i would say yes stick with what you have.
Your P4 would be the type of chip they were aiming at as regards the CPU limited systems and so its possable that you would benefit slightly from that.

If you fancy trying it out then back up your old drivers and see if you can get hold of a set of 9.2 as they are the better performing set from whats been released of late.

Personally i wouldnt do it but i just included the info as i know some people just likek to tinker :) 

Mactronix
April 11, 2009 1:30:08 PM

i managed to read a little about these drivers, and apprently they aren't half bad. They are a step up from the previous, and aren't like the previous to lower in some games.

I think 9.4 is def a move for the 8.12 Hotfix ppl.

Apprently its 1% faster than the fastest drivers out for ATI, and adds stability and compatibility issues:) 
April 11, 2009 1:54:54 PM

Do you have any links to this info ? I have seen a couple of reviews of these drivers (translated)but it seems the usual reviews are waiting for the Easter holiday to be over.

Which drivers are the fastest depends on your card, a lot of the recent updates and upgrades are intended towards the 4 series In fact the 9.4 specifically says in its release notes that the improved Overdrive is designed for the 4 series.

I have reviewed drivers from 8.11 upwards and apart from the support for CPU limited systems,(The best driver with this feature is 9.2) there is a net loss in performance between the 8.11 and the 9.4 drivers relating to the older 3 series which both myself and the OP are running.

Mactronix
April 11, 2009 3:09:16 PM

catalyst 9.3

catalyst 9.4

tested on a 790/4200 4870 1gb // q6600 @ 3.0ghz // 1440x900 // 3gb ram.

i didnt do any other test besides this game. the moment i saw the result. i quickly uninstalled 9.4.
April 11, 2009 3:40:30 PM

Just look at the reviews for the 4890. FC2 doesnt do that well on it. This is getting to look just like nVidias drivers, where one month we see certain games increase, while others decline. This is something Im going to check in on
April 11, 2009 3:45:57 PM

its from the german site:
http://72.14.205.132/translate_c?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=ht...

overall:) 

Although its the margin of error, it does show gains none the less.

My friend tried it on his 4870 512 and apperently gets rid of the tearing in COD5 that happens when bombs explode around the player and also with his hawx it would suddenly go down to 1 fps when going through a mid air explosion, now doesn't do that anymore.

He went from 8.12 hotfix though.

Though i read these bring minimal fixes to the 4890 which have been said to come to the 9.5s is that true?
April 11, 2009 4:37:54 PM

it just takes me to the main website like mine:p 
If your using firefox and you open the link you wanted it will keep the original link you clicked on, in order to take an article (if you clicked on my link) you need to right click and open it in another tab for some reason to make that its own link and translated:p 
April 11, 2009 4:46:09 PM

So its better because its more complicated? arghhh, now theres progress heheh
April 12, 2009 6:04:39 AM

rags_20 said:
:sigh: How I wish ATI drivers were as good as the Nvidia ones.

Oh, and what is the change?

Tell that to people who get BSoD in Vista because of a unstable nVidia driver or those who can't play games like L4D because the nVidia drivers don't like Sources multicore rendering.

Or I could recite the numerous times in Windows 2K, XP Pro and Server 2003 the nVidia driver caused a BSoD for me.

Annisman said:
well, red vs green is a viable thing to argue, imo. I love NV's constant driver releases and their support, Ati...not so much. Though, if I had to choose, I'd go with ATi, the 48** series has been phenomenal for me, and my favorite card ever was the X1950XTX (GDDR4 FTW!)

I know. GDDR4 is sweet but is best with a 512bit MC. I have a HD2900Pro 1GB with a 512bit MC and GDDR4 and its bandwith is about the same as current GDDR5 4870s with the 256bit MC. Of course I have less than half the shaders.

I wounder what the memory bandwidth of GDDR5 + a 512bit MC would be like.......
April 12, 2009 7:08:58 AM

As far as my experience goes, nvidia was super stable. ATi is giving be crashes and I get BSoD in some games. I almost always get the Display driver has stopped responding and successfully recovered error. Never got a single one with nvidia.
April 12, 2009 10:43:27 AM

How I wish ATI drivers were as good as the Nvidia ones said:
How I wish ATI drivers were as good as the Nvidia ones

2 weeks ago i installed the latest forceware on my oldman's 8400gs rig. and omfg, it ate 2gb of hdd space. thats good for you?

im interested on how a 4890 performs with 9.4. my gut is telling me that this driver was meant to properly "segment" the 4870 (driver murdered)apart from the 4890. too bad 9.3 may not work (or does it?)on a 4890 so a direct comparison can not be made.
April 12, 2009 4:58:16 PM

Who're you kidding with 2gb drivers?
April 12, 2009 6:15:31 PM

Who are you kidding with the "ATI drivers suck" BS trolling? Stop lying and get a life.
!