Sign in with
Your question

Best SSD

Last response: in Storage
October 6, 2010 1:26:23 AM

Hey guys! I'm wanting to spend approximately $200 for a SSD. I'm wanting one for gaming, apps, and possibly OS. I'm wondering if I should get one since I'm still running Windows XP Pro 32bit. My motherboard is an EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI LGA 1366 Intel X58. I'm currently using 2 Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB drives. One for the OS and the other for my apps. I think that's all the info you need to know. The only slow down I ever see is load screens for WoW. That and my slow as *beep* green 2 TB WD hard drive! Ha. I'm hearing good things about SSDs now and I though I'd finally get one but looking at what's out there I'm not 100% where I should be spending my money. Even after looking at the recent article here! I'd like speed but I want reliability the most. I still hear stories about these drives failing within a couple of years and that's just unacceptable. I assume I need around 60-100 Gigs. Heck, I probably get by with a 40 GB! So what do you guys think? Let me know if you need any more info. Thanks again

More about : ssd

October 6, 2010 1:49:52 AM

YEAH i need answer too! Corsair Reallssd vs Patriot Inferno?
m
l
a b G Storage
October 6, 2010 3:40:48 AM

I haven't heard the story of failure of which you speak.

However, I don't think I'd run an SSD on xp. Sure, it can be done, but win 7 is designed with ssds in mind. SSDs are designed with win7 in mind. Neither m$ nor SSD manufacturers are very interested in making the two (xp and ssds) work well together.

Your system rocks. I would, at least, wait until sometime next year when intel g3 ssds come out. If you were upgrading from a wd green boot drive this recommendation would be quite different.

That having been said I would still look at an intel ssd such as the 80m for a boot disk. Otherwise (as wethe says) something with the sandforce controller. I can't see the difference, OCZ, Corsair, Patriot, there are two big components, a controller, and memory. I like intel for both. Many use intel memory even with the other controllers.

Clear as mud?
m
l
Related resources
October 13, 2010 5:04:03 AM

I need to know what is the best SSD out there for XP Pro. I'm thinking to be on the safe side I may just go with Intel. From what I've read you do need some sort of utility to run so you don't kill your drive. I think even with XP as my OS that going SSD will benefit whatever apps I put on it or if I even decide to throw Windows on it! So what should I do?
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
October 13, 2010 4:07:48 PM

(1) With the newer SF-1200 Controller SSd(s) while trim Cmd is benificial, it does not have the same importance as with the Gen 1/2 drives. There is still a large market share with XP. The "garbage collection" with the SF-1200 controller is quite good (better with trim). This includes the Vortex 2 malmental mentioned and the Gskill Pheonix pro line, also the corsair Force line.

(2) as to "dying in two years" - many offer a 3 Plus year warrenty

Some tips:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/gskill-phoenix-pro-120gb-...

Benchies:
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3434/g_skill_phoenix_p...
http://www.guru3d.com/article/gskill-phoenix-pro-120gb-...
http://hothardware.com/Reviews/GSKill-Phoenix-Pro-Littl...
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
October 13, 2010 7:25:12 PM

Retired USAF 1983 ( taught Meteorological systems, Both Basic and advaced for about 10 yrs)
Worked at NASA 1986 ->2004 (Contractor) Retired
They called me Up, Jul 08, and asked if I would Like to come Back as Causal. Heck, something to kill time.
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
October 13, 2010 8:24:16 PM

Sir is for the "O-level.

How to tell a enlisted from an officer.
When they go to the head to take a leak, look to see who washes their Hand - The Officer, that's because the enlisted guys Mom taught him not to Pee on himself. O'well

Then there's that old barber shop joke - The officer get's his hair cut. The barber ask him if he would like some cologne. He replies NO, my wife will think I've been to a house of >>>>>>. The Chief get's the same treatment, but His reply is, Yes, My wife does not know what a WH... House smells like.

Then I could tell you what I told a New Lt Col, at headquarters, on How to do a 35-10 inspection to insure that a WAFs dress was not too short. (Mind you I new Him when he was my Boss, a Captain.
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
October 13, 2010 8:58:50 PM

Take care, Hope you enjoy the navy as much as I did the USAF - Had a great tour, including the 1 yr "vacation" to Siagon. Had blanket tralel orders and could travel any place in Nam with out having to ask.
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
October 13, 2010 9:23:41 PM

Visited the Great Lakes Navel base a couple of times. There was a short period of time that we sent our airman there for the Basic electronics course. Was part of the Consolidation/Colocation of Meterological Equipment training. The Navy sent thier people to the equipment phase to Chanute AFB.
m
l
!