Do you think this will get too hot. Help before I buy!

dekleining

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
I am currently designing a system build for an Antec 300 case that will contain the following:

EVGA X58 SLI mobo
Intel Core i7 i920
12GB of OCZ 1333 RAM
2x GTX260 core216
Corsair 750W PSU
2x WD Caviar Black 640GB HDD

I figure it will look a lot like this system (pic i found online) http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/2694/sli8800gtxnq1.jpg

I plan on installing as many fans as possible, including the side fan.

DO YOU THINK IT WILL BE TOO HOT!?

I do not plan on overclocking anything.

Any input would be nice. I need to order everything else by tomorrow...

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
12gb of ram is complete overkill unless you are doing video editing or CAD.

If you install enough fans then it should be fine. Get a couple 120mm fans to go in the front of the case and one to go over your GPU's and it should be fine.

dekleining

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
Hey xthekidx you've really been helping me out alot and i really appreciate it.
Yeah i'm loading up on fans.

What concerned me was the lower card's proximity to the psu but i understand that the top fan is taking air in, which is good.

So should i drop down to 6GB of ram, and put that money into ensuring I get the second video card?

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
Yes you won't see any improvement in gaming if you get 6 vs 12gb of ram. Get this kit of ram and call it good:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227381

You should have enough clearance for your cards from your PSU. One thing that might be troublesome though is the length of the antec 300, I have read a lot of reviews of people saying they had to move their HDD's around because their large GPU's extended into the HDD area. You could probably make it all fit, but it might be tough. I would recommend getting a larger case personally. The CM 690 has excellent airflow and is long enough for those large gpu's. Just go with 1 kit of ram and you should be able to afford the cost differnence.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
Ok, airflow will be restricted though, there isn't much space for air to move around those components in that case...idk. I think it would be worth the upgrade, but the Antec will do the job too.

dekleining

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
Would installing the side fan help at all?

The only reason I'm pushing for the Antec so much is b/c i need this to look as LOW profile as possible, because it will be in my dorm. If there are low profile cases with air flow as good as the gaming style setups, please let me know.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
Installing the side fan will help because it will push air directly onto your gpu's. The Antec 300 is probably a good fit for your situation, I just don't know if you will have room to mount the side if you have two gpu's in there.

dekleining

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
True story...

I think I'll go with the CM in that case then...

The only issue i can see with the CM is that the hard drive bays are opposing the intake of the front fan by being positioned like that...

Looks like xthekidx has got you covered. :) I'd agree on the 6GB vs 12GB RAM deal. Can't see the point in doing 12GB right now.

The Antec cases are pretty good. That Antec 300 is going to be a tight squeeze though. One thing to take into account. That picture you listed shows 2 8800GT cards in it. I'm pretty sure the GTX 260 Core 216 is a longer video card (10.5"?).

I could be wrong, but if it is longer than those 8800GT's, it's not going to fit very well.

This thread discusses the 8800GT as being 9" long. The GTX 260 is 10.5" long. So comparing how tight those 8800GT's fit in that image, you won't get an extra 1.5" of room in there I'm thinking....?
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/246525-33-8800-card-dimensions

dekleining

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
Would this system be able to stay cool in Antec's professional series style cases? the ones that don't have a huge number of fans in the front, etc.
?
I need a subtle look, really badly. And my last system had nothing but problems with heat so I'm trying to avoid that...

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
Well you could look at Lian Li cases for that look, they have it perfected, however those cases are usually more than $100 so idk how you feel about that...

The CM 690 does a pretty good job of it too, it has one blue LED fan in the front but if you really don't like it then you can just take it out and replace it with a different one, or even swap the exhaust fan and intake fan so the blue light is on the inside of the case.

dekleining

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
Do those cases prove adequate air flow though? I've always been under the impression that a gaming case offered the best airflow.

G

if you don't go with the 6 gigs of ram, upgrade to the antec 900 with the extra cash. it has 4 fans and more space. you'll be much happier.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
if you don't go with the 6 gigs of ram, upgrade to the antec 900 with the extra cash. it has 4 fans and more space. you'll be much happier.
I think you missed the part where is looking for something that is low profile and not flashy.

dekleining

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
Hey guys I was just looking at the Antec P182.
http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=NQ==
I figure I can remove the top hard drive cage, but then I will have to put all 3 of my drives in the bottom cage..., and the only fan down there is the one sucking air in from the front to go through the PSU. Do you think this will cause maybe heating issues? Why would they design it with the inability to put a fan in front of the lower hard drive cage? unless its a nonissue.
What do you think?
Should I try it?

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
Well that case is designed for noise control, so it has foam padding where ever possible to reduce noise...which tends to have an insulating effect, not a cooling one...Idk you can try it but it won't have airflow like the CM 690 or that Lian Li. For a dual GPU setup, you should really look into a gaming case IMO.

dekleining

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
Oh shoot didn't realize that, thanks.

I decided to drop the second GTX and use the money on a much better motherboard (graphics cards are easier to upgrade later). So for now I only have to be concerned with fitting one GTX

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
Which mobo did you decide on? I personally think that the Asus P6T Deluxe V2 has the best mobo layout for dual GPU's because of the spacing in the PCIE slots, most other boards cram them close together so they can fit another PCIE slot on there (which is usually worthless IMO, who needs 3-way SLI?). The V2 is an overclocking champion and a great mobo, It would be the one I would chose for and SLI i7 rig.

dekleining

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
I've been reading about horrible things with all the middle range boards. Like 64bit compatibility issues and RAID problems.
I haven't read anything bad on the more expensive ones, and they seem to be built with much higher quality (all I really care about because this system needs to last me through college)

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
I use a middle-low range board P6T non deluxe and haven't had any problems to complain about. But if you can afford to go for that board then by all means, its an excellent choice, just trying to save you a little bit of money.

TRENDING THREADS