How Do You Know How Low You Can Go For Overclocking?

jut703

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
With any chipset, all manufacturers always release different motherboards at different price points. To explain my question, let's use the P55 chipset as an example, and Asus as a sample manufacturer.

Arranged in increasing price order:

P7P55D LX
P7P55D-E LX
P7P55D
P7P55D-E
Sabertooth 55i
P7P55D-E Pro
P7P55D-E Evo
P7P55D-E Deluxe

Of course, if you've got the money to burn, you can just go get the top of the line P7P55D-E Deluxe and go your merry way and overclock your i5-750 to over 4 GHz easily.

But there are others, like me, who value every penny they spend and always look at the price/performance ratio. So given this example of a line of motherboards of the same chipset, how do I know which one can achieve decent, stable overclocks at the lowest price? I don't mean getting the highest overclocks because those generally require better hardware. I'm referring more towards the highest overclocks at stock voltages, say, 3.6 GHz for an i5-750. These are not what anyone would call extreme overclocking, and do present a substantial increase in computing power over stock clocks.

Back to the motherboard issue, can the LE/LX/UD2/other-budget-monicker boards overclock as well? Or does one have to spend on the mainstream stuff like the P7P55D/UD3H/etc? How much of an overclocking difference do the low end boards have over the high end boards? What about the mid-range boards over the high-end boards?

And lastly, as a general question not applying to any motherboard line, what features can an average value-oriented overclocker do without when looking for a motherboard? I've read it's got something to do with voltage regulation, but what exactly? :D

Sorry for the numerous questions, just a learning enthusiast wanting to expand knowledge :D

jut703

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
Nope.

All I wanna know is how to find a good overclocking board without having to spend so much for other features that I can live without for the sake of value.

A follow up question as well.

Between a high-end board from a budget company and a low-end board from a higher-tier company, which would be better?

A case in point would be the Asus P7P55D-E LX vs the AsRock P55 Pro.

The P7P55D-E LX is around $40 more expensive. But yet the AsRock has more features. But then again, why is it that the Asus was used in this month's SBM over cheaper, more high end boards from budget brands?

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
Look for a quality company with the board with the best voltage regulation. Cheap or poor voltage regulation will have a direct impact on overclocking, and is sometimes over look when buying a mother board.