Strange files

I just looked in my downloads and have 52 files with an extension of .BAK???
I have NO idea where it came from or why?
Some things are not showing up after a marathon download session ONLY of
skins and objects, no hacks, except what I had and are working.
If anyone can tell me why this happened or what to do with these .BAK's, I'd
be SO grateful.
Thanks, Sage
31 answers Last reply
More about strange files

    "Sage" <lbee@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    >I just looked in my downloads and have 52 files with an extension of
    >.BAK???
    > I have NO idea where it came from or why?
    > Some things are not showing up after a marathon download session ONLY of
    > skins and objects, no hacks, except what I had and are working.
    > If anyone can tell me why this happened or what to do with these .BAK's,
    > I'd be SO grateful.
    > Thanks, Sage

    Typically, .bak files are backup copies of files that an installation
    routine has changed. So, if you later uninstall whatever changed the files,
    it restores the files by renaming the .bak files to their original names.
    What probably happened is this:

    1) you automatically installed a download (or downloads) by opening a
    ..sims2pack file (or files).
    2) the installer tried to add one or more of these files to the downloads
    directory, but found a file with the same name already there.
    3) it renamed that file's extension to .bak
    4) it inserted its own file into the directory in the other file's place.

    Sage wrote:

    > I just looked in my downloads and have 52 files with an extension of .BAK???
    > I have NO idea where it came from or why?
    > Some things are not showing up after a marathon download session ONLY of
    > skins and objects, no hacks, except what I had and are working.
    > If anyone can tell me why this happened or what to do with these .BAK's, I'd
    > be SO grateful.
    > Thanks, Sage

    Isn't .bak the usual extension for backup files?

    -georg

    "Schfooge" <schfooge@NOSPAMFORME.rogers.com> wrote in message
    > "Sage" <lbee@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    >>I just looked in my downloads and have 52 files with an extension of
    >>.BAK???
    >> I have NO idea where it came from or why?
    >> Some things are not showing up after a marathon download session ONLY of
    >> skins and objects, no hacks, except what I had and are working.
    >> If anyone can tell me why this happened or what to do with these .BAK's,
    >> I'd be SO grateful.
    >> Thanks, Sage
    >
    > Typically, .bak files are backup copies of files that an installation
    > routine has changed. So, if you later uninstall whatever changed the
    > files, it restores the files by renaming the .bak files to their original
    > names. What probably happened is this:
    >
    > 1) you automatically installed a download (or downloads) by opening a
    > .sims2pack file (or files).

    Thank you! Thank you!!! I did open some .sims2pack files... That's probably
    what did it.
    BUT I don't find the same files in Download or Objects, now how do I get the
    ..bak files to show up? Is there a way?
    I think I'm going to Give UP on downloads for awhile, either they don't show
    up or they go to a .bak. I did know I *must* have clicked on Something I
    shouldn't have. Thanks so much for the speedy reply...
    Sage

    > 2) the installer tried to add one or more of these files to the downloads
    > directory, but found a file with the same name already there.
    > 3) it renamed that file's extension to .bak
    > 4) it inserted its own file into the directory in the other file's place.

    change the 'bak' extension to 'package' and see what happens ...
    i mean if those files already exist in the download folder, windows
    won't let you rename the bak ones telling they already exist
    then you can delete the remaining 'bak' s
    or to make it a safe way create a new folder apart,
    move all the 'bak' there, rename them as 'package' and
    try to move them in the download folder
    you"'ll be asked by windows to you want to replace the existing
    one and then you can choose which one you want to keep
    (u get the information on size and date)

    "Sage" <lbee@ix.netcom.com> a écrit dans le message de

    > "Schfooge" <schfooge@NOSPAMFORME.rogers.com> wrote in message
    > > "Sage" <lbee@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    > >>I just looked in my downloads and have 52 files with an extension of
    > >>.BAK???
    > >> I have NO idea where it came from or why?
    > >> Some things are not showing up after a marathon download session ONLY
    of
    > >> skins and objects, no hacks, except what I had and are working.
    > >> If anyone can tell me why this happened or what to do with these
    ..BAK's,
    > >> I'd be SO grateful.
    > >> Thanks, Sage
    > >
    > > Typically, .bak files are backup copies of files that an installation
    > > routine has changed. So, if you later uninstall whatever changed the
    > > files, it restores the files by renaming the .bak files to their
    original
    > > names. What probably happened is this:
    > >
    > > 1) you automatically installed a download (or downloads) by opening a
    > > .sims2pack file (or files).
    >
    > Thank you! Thank you!!! I did open some .sims2pack files... That's
    probably
    > what did it.
    > BUT I don't find the same files in Download or Objects, now how do I get
    the
    > .bak files to show up? Is there a way?
    > I think I'm going to Give UP on downloads for awhile, either they don't
    show
    > up or they go to a .bak. I did know I *must* have clicked on Something I
    > shouldn't have. Thanks so much for the speedy reply...
    > Sage
    >

    > > 2) the installer tried to add one or more of these files to the
    downloads
    > > directory, but found a file with the same name already there.
    > > 3) it renamed that file's extension to .bak
    > > 4) it inserted its own file into the directory in the other file's
    place.

    I think what might have happened is that these files are objects. When
    using SimPE to make objects it seems to save some files as back ups and the
    creator has forgotten to rename them to make them usable. Try renaming them
    to package files. I had the same thing just yesterday, renamed it and
    discovered a lovely set of bedding I'd downloaded but hadn't turned up in
    the game (I'm very careful to check all my object files - I'm a bit
    obsessive that way). I don't know if this will cause any problems though
    because it's not something I'm familiar with. If you want to check to see
    what they are - take everything else out of your Downloads folder and just
    leave the suspect files there - fire up the game, enter an empty lot and
    check out the build and buy section - if they're not there you might have a
    look at skins or walls and floors.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    "Lefourbe" <lefourbe@free.fr> wrote in message
    > change the 'bak' extension to 'package' and see what happens ...
    > i mean if those files already exist in the download folder, windows
    > won't let you rename the bak ones telling they already exist
    > then you can delete the remaining 'bak' s
    > or to make it a safe way create a new folder apart,
    > move all the 'bak' there, rename them as 'package' and
    > try to move them in the download folder
    > you"'ll be asked by windows to you want to replace the existing
    > one and then you can choose which one you want to keep
    > (u get the information on size and date)

    I thought of moving them but not renaming them, I'll try that.
    Thank you, Sage

    >I think what might have happened is that these files are objects. When
    > using SimPE to make objects it seems to save some files as back ups and
    > the
    > creator has forgotten to rename them to make them usable. Try renaming
    > them
    > to package files. I had the same thing just yesterday, renamed it and
    > discovered a lovely set of bedding I'd downloaded but hadn't turned up in
    > the game (I'm very careful to check all my object files - I'm a bit
    > obsessive that way). I don't know if this will cause any problems though
    > because it's not something I'm familiar with. If you want to check to see
    > what they are - take everything else out of your Downloads folder and just
    > leave the suspect files there - fire up the game, enter an empty lot and
    > check out the build and buy section - if they're not there you might have
    > look at skins or walls and floors.
    >
    > Best wishes
    > Maxon

    I used SimPE too! Maybe that made the backups. I know a lot isn't showing
    up. I can't wait for the time when I can move them somewhere and rename them
    to see... I'm so surprised you had the same thing happen. I'll try
    everyone's suggestions and hopefully I'll see something new!
    BTW, a lot of them were .rar files and I *always* seem to have trouble with
    that. When they didn't show up, I tried to extract them again... could that
    be the problem? I expected to see a message asking if I wanted to replace
    the file if it had been there before. I'm babbling, I know, just don't know
    how to talk about something I don't understand... Now I'll have something to
    eat and then get busy on this mess! I'm saving these messages so maybe I
    will understand what I'm doing.:-/
    Sage

    > "Sage" <lbee@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Schfooge" <schfooge@NOSPAMFORME.rogers.com> wrote in message
    >> > "Sage" <lbee@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    > of
    > .BAK's,
    >> >
    >> > Typically, .bak files are backup copies of files that an installation
    >> > routine has changed. So, if you later uninstall whatever changed the
    >> > files, it restores the files by renaming the .bak files to their
    > original
    >> > names. What probably happened is this:
    >> >
    >> > 1) you automatically installed a download (or downloads) by opening a
    >> > .sims2pack file (or files).
    >>
    >> Thank you! Thank you!!! I did open some .sims2pack files... That's
    > probably
    >> what did it.
    >> BUT I don't find the same files in Download or Objects, now how do I get
    > the
    >> .bak files to show up? Is there a way?
    >> I think I'm going to Give UP on downloads for awhile, either they don't
    > show
    >> up or they go to a .bak. I did know I *must* have clicked on Something I
    >> shouldn't have. Thanks so much for the speedy reply...
    >> Sage
    >>

    >> > 2) the installer tried to add one or more of these files to the
    > downloads
    >> > directory, but found a file with the same name already there.
    >> > 3) it renamed that file's extension to .bak
    >> > 4) it inserted its own file into the directory in the other file's
    > place.

    > BTW, a lot of them were .rar files and I *always* seem to have trouble
    with
    > that. When they didn't show up, I tried to extract them again... could
    that
    > be the problem? I expected to see a message asking if I wanted to replace
    > the file if it had been there before. I'm babbling, I know, just don't
    know
    > how to talk about something I don't understand... Now I'll have something
    > eat and then get busy on this mess! I'm saving these messages so maybe I
    > will understand what I'm doing.:-/
    > Sage

    i tell you the way i'm managing it with rar or zip
    i created a folder named sims_downloads apart of any EA folders
    and put all new downloads in
    when i go extracting them i let them being extracted there
    winzip and winrar create new folders inside of this 'sims_downloads' one
    then i move the zip or rar to an archive folder to be burned on cd
    back to my newly created folders i just click on each package file
    this opens simsPE and i can see what it is before moving it to
    the real download folder if i want to
    J-M

    Yes, I do this - everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) gets downloaded
    elsewhere and then I look at stuff before I put them in the Downloads
    folder. I really dislike WinRar, I really don't know why people use it.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    > i tell you the way i'm managing it with rar or zip
    > i created a folder named sims_downloads apart of any EA folders
    > and put all new downloads in
    > when i go extracting them i let them being extracted there
    > winzip and winrar create new folders inside of this 'sims_downloads' one
    > then i move the zip or rar to an archive folder to be burned on cd
    > back to my newly created folders i just click on each package file
    > this opens simsPE and i can see what it is before moving it to
    > the real download folder if i want to
    > J-M

    > Yes, I do this - everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) gets downloaded
    > elsewhere and then I look at stuff before I put them in the Downloads
    > folder. I really dislike WinRar, I really don't know why people use it.

    I use IZArc for .rar files. Much nicer than WinRar.

    HTH.

    CK

    > Yes, I do this - everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) gets downloaded
    > elsewhere and then I look at stuff before I put them in the Downloads
    > folder. I really dislike WinRar, I really don't know why people use it.
    >
    > Best wishes
    > Maxon

    I also dislike WinRar! Some sites say they use it because of Large Files,
    I'd like to know why they can't use .zip files, with large or small files...
    I've never had a problem with it.
    Very good Idea about a folder to check what you have before putting it in...
    I've gotten so confused with all the Junk in my download folder that I
    should just empty it and use SimPE before putting them back... Is there
    anything that I should be careful about? I don't know how to use SimPE
    really, just started using it when everyone else was talking about it.
    Sage

    >> i tell you the way i'm managing it with rar or zip
    >> i created a folder named sims_downloads apart of any EA folders
    >> and put all new downloads in
    >> when i go extracting them i let them being extracted there
    >> winzip and winrar create new folders inside of this 'sims_downloads' one
    >> then i move the zip or rar to an archive folder to be burned on cd
    >> back to my newly created folders i just click on each package file
    >> this opens simsPE and i can see what it is before moving it to
    >> the real download folder if i want to
    >> J-M

    Thank you... I will do that from now on. This download method with
    everything in ONE folder is plain Stupid! Sure makes a lot more work for the
    players...
    Sage

    I have noticed that rar files do seem more compressed than zip files, as in
    the final file size is smaller. I use ExtractNow for rar files as it is
    free and handles them just fine :)

    > > Yes, I do this - everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) gets downloaded
    > > elsewhere and then I look at stuff before I put them in the Downloads
    > > folder. I really dislike WinRar, I really don't know why people use it.
    > >
    > > Best wishes
    > > Maxon
    >
    > I also dislike WinRar! Some sites say they use it because of Large Files,
    > I'd like to know why they can't use .zip files, with large or small
    files...
    > I've never had a problem with it.
    > Very good Idea about a folder to check what you have before putting it
    in...
    > I've gotten so confused with all the Junk in my download folder that I
    > should just empty it and use SimPE before putting them back... Is there
    > anything that I should be careful about? I don't know how to use SimPE
    > really, just started using it when everyone else was talking about it.
    > Sage
    > >

    > >> i tell you the way i'm managing it with rar or zip
    > >> i created a folder named sims_downloads apart of any EA folders
    > >> and put all new downloads in
    > >> when i go extracting them i let them being extracted there
    > >> winzip and winrar create new folders inside of this 'sims_downloads'
    one
    > >> then i move the zip or rar to an archive folder to be burned on cd
    > >> back to my newly created folders i just click on each package file
    > >> this opens simsPE and i can see what it is before moving it to
    > >> the real download folder if i want to
    > >> J-M
    >
    > Thank you... I will do that from now on. This download method with
    > everything in ONE folder is plain Stupid! Sure makes a lot more work for
    the
    > players...
    > Sage

    Well the compression does make sense but I still don't like it.
    Do you remember off-hand where you got ExtractNow?
    If not, I'll search...
    Sage

    >I have noticed that rar files do seem more compressed than zip files, as in
    > the final file size is smaller. I use ExtractNow for rar files as it is
    > free and handles them just fine :)
    >
    > "Sage" <lbee@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >> > Yes, I do this - everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) gets downloaded
    >> > elsewhere and then I look at stuff before I put them in the Downloads
    >> > folder. I really dislike WinRar, I really don't know why people use
    >> > it.
    >> >
    >> > Best wishes
    >> > Maxon
    >>
    >> I also dislike WinRar! Some sites say they use it because of Large Files,
    >> I'd like to know why they can't use .zip files, with large or small
    > files...
    >> I've never had a problem with it.
    >> Very good Idea about a folder to check what you have before putting it
    > in...
    >> I've gotten so confused with all the Junk in my download folder that I
    >> should just empty it and use SimPE before putting them back... Is there
    >> anything that I should be careful about? I don't know how to use SimPE
    >> really, just started using it when everyone else was talking about it.
    >> Sage

    > one
    >>
    >> Thank you... I will do that from now on. This download method with
    >> everything in ONE folder is plain Stupid! Sure makes a lot more work for
    > the
    >> players...
    >> Sage

    http://www.extractnow.com/
    That was easy, lol.
    Actually tried getting to the site thru the program, but apparently the
    program lists the old site.

    > Well the compression does make sense but I still don't like it.
    > Do you remember off-hand where you got ExtractNow?
    > If not, I'll search...
    > Sage

    > >I have noticed that rar files do seem more compressed than zip files, as
    in
    > > the final file size is smaller. I use ExtractNow for rar files as it is
    > > free and handles them just fine :)
    > >
    > > "Sage" <lbee@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message

    > >> I also dislike WinRar! Some sites say they use it because of Large
    Files,
    > >> I'd like to know why they can't use .zip files, with large or small
    > > files...
    > >> I've never had a problem with it.
    > >> Very good Idea about a folder to check what you have before putting it
    > > in...
    > >> I've gotten so confused with all the Junk in my download folder that I
    > >> should just empty it and use SimPE before putting them back... Is there
    > >> anything that I should be careful about? I don't know how to use SimPE
    > >> really, just started using it when everyone else was talking about it.
    > >> Sage

    > > one
    > >>
    > >> Thank you... I will do that from now on. This download method with
    > >> everything in ONE folder is plain Stupid! Sure makes a lot more work
    for
    > > the
    > >> players...
    > >> Sage

    LOL... Too easy! But thank you, I'm off to get a copy.
    Sage

    > http://www.extractnow.com/
    > That was easy, lol.
    > Actually tried getting to the site thru the program, but apparently the
    > program lists the old site.
    >
    > "Sage" <lbee@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    >> Well the compression does make sense but I still don't like it.
    >> Do you remember off-hand where you got ExtractNow?
    >> If not, I'll search...
    >> Sage
    >>
    >> "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have noticed that rar files do seem more compressed than zip files, as
    > in
    >> > the final file size is smaller. I use ExtractNow for rar files as it
    >> > is
    >> > free and handles them just fine :)
    >> >
    >> > "Sage" <lbee@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

    > Files,
    >> > files...
    >> > in...

    >> > one

    > for
    >> > the

    Me too, Extract Now works great. I've been very lucky in that I have
    not downloaded and files that made my game crash. I have only had one
    item that showed up bright blue and I got rid of it.

    Ali

    Bluegenie2 wrote:
    > I have noticed that rar files do seem more compressed than zip files, as in
    > the final file size is smaller. I use ExtractNow for rar files as it is
    > free and handles them just fine :)
    >
    > "Sage" <lbee@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Yes, I do this - everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) gets downloaded
    >>>elsewhere and then I look at stuff before I put them in the Downloads
    >>>folder. I really dislike WinRar, I really don't know why people use it.
    >>>
    >>>Best wishes
    >>>Maxon
    >>
    >>I also dislike WinRar! Some sites say they use it because of Large Files,
    >>I'd like to know why they can't use .zip files, with large or small
    >
    > files...
    >
    >>I've never had a problem with it.
    >>Very good Idea about a folder to check what you have before putting it
    >
    > in...
    >
    >>I've gotten so confused with all the Junk in my download folder that I
    >>should just empty it and use SimPE before putting them back... Is there
    >>anything that I should be careful about? I don't know how to use SimPE
    >>really, just started using it when everyone else was talking about it.
    >>Sage

    > one

    >>Thank you... I will do that from now on. This download method with
    >>everything in ONE folder is plain Stupid! Sure makes a lot more work for
    >
    > the
    >
    >>players...
    >>Sage

    Hi Sage,

    I don't use SimPE except for emergencies. When I'm putting new stuff in, I
    take everything out of the Downloads folder then install stuff by type.
    Walls and floors, skins and then objects. I check each stage - checking the
    walls and floors show up in Homecrafter, the skins in Bodyshop and finally
    the objects when I run the game. I could have a look at the objects with
    SimPE but have just got into the habit of using the game to do it. I have a
    lot on one of my neighbourhoods which is just a box shaped house and I test
    all objects in there - and also walls and so on if I want to see what they
    look like in the game. Using the design tool (looks like a swatch) in buy
    mode to check out the recolours is really great - someone mentioned it on
    this list last week and I've found it very useful. I also have all my stuff
    sorted into sub-folders in Downloads - you can have sub-folders for:

    walls
    floors
    objects
    hacks (if you use them, I don't)
    And anything else I can't think of.

    Your skins needs to be in the Downloads folder loose (i.e. not in a
    sub-folder) - BUT if you don't create your own skins, you can also put these
    in the Saved Sims folder. If you do make your own skins, I wouldn't do this
    as your own stuff will get mixed up with the skins and you won't be able to
    find it.

    I use Clean Installer to check out repeats in the Downloads folder and to
    weed out any hacks that get past my vigilance (this doesn't happen often)
    but I delete most stuff I don't want from inside the game (or Bodyshop or
    Homecrafter).

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    "Sage" <lbee@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

    > I also dislike WinRar! Some sites say they use it because of Large Files,
    > I'd like to know why they can't use .zip files, with large or small
    files...
    > I've never had a problem with it.
    > Very good Idea about a folder to check what you have before putting it
    in...
    > I've gotten so confused with all the Junk in my download folder that I
    > should just empty it and use SimPE before putting them back... Is there
    > anything that I should be careful about? I don't know how to use SimPE
    > really, just started using it when everyone else was talking about it.
    > Sage

    Hi Maxon... You're really a Big help, thank you!!!
    I'm saving this post to refer to later. I'm not as careful as you are, I put
    all of one site or creator in all at the same time. I'm not known for my
    _patience_ and don't think we should have to go through this for the game.
    This is my biggest disappointment with it.
    I do use the design tool, which has been Very helpful and do have
    sub-folders with the skins in downloads loose. I don't make anything myself
    so that's one headache I can check off the list.
    The one box type house is a very good idea, I'll do that from now on. I have
    2 painting hacks and the Mirror hack, as well as the no-blur... they all
    seem to work fine and I've had no crashes at all. Just this pesky download
    problem and having some NOT showing up at all. I got ExtractNow and will use
    that for any .rar files... Whew! I'm so happy not to _have_ to use WinRar...
    Thank you so much!
    Sage

    > Hi Sage,
    >
    > I don't use SimPE except for emergencies. When I'm putting new stuff in,
    > take everything out of the Downloads folder then install stuff by type.
    > Walls and floors, skins and then objects. I check each stage - checking
    > the
    > walls and floors show up in Homecrafter, the skins in Bodyshop and finally
    > the objects when I run the game. I could have a look at the objects with
    > SimPE but have just got into the habit of using the game to do it. I have
    > lot on one of my neighbourhoods which is just a box shaped house and I
    > test
    > all objects in there - and also walls and so on if I want to see what they
    > look like in the game. Using the design tool (looks like a swatch) in buy
    > mode to check out the recolours is really great - someone mentioned it on
    > this list last week and I've found it very useful. I also have all my
    > stuff
    > sorted into sub-folders in Downloads - you can have sub-folders for:
    >
    > walls
    > floors
    > objects
    > hacks (if you use them, I don't)
    > And anything else I can't think of.
    >
    > Your skins needs to be in the Downloads folder loose (i.e. not in a
    > sub-folder) - BUT if you don't create your own skins, you can also put
    > these
    > in the Saved Sims folder. If you do make your own skins, I wouldn't do
    > this
    > as your own stuff will get mixed up with the skins and you won't be able
    > find it.
    >
    > I use Clean Installer to check out repeats in the Downloads folder and to
    > weed out any hacks that get past my vigilance (this doesn't happen often)
    > but I delete most stuff I don't want from inside the game (or Bodyshop or
    > Homecrafter).
    >
    > Best wishes
    > Maxon
    >
    > "Sage" <lbee@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >> I also dislike WinRar! Some sites say they use it because of Large Files,
    >> I'd like to know why they can't use .zip files, with large or small
    > files...
    >> I've never had a problem with it.
    >> Very good Idea about a folder to check what you have before putting it
    > in...
    >> I've gotten so confused with all the Junk in my download folder that I
    >> should just empty it and use SimPE before putting them back... Is there
    >> anything that I should be careful about? I don't know how to use SimPE
    >> really, just started using it when everyone else was talking about it.
    >> Sage

    I did the sub-folder by site thing for a while, then happened to think about
    certain things that have been put on 2 or more sites, like at modthesims2
    and another site. Or at TSR and another site. So I rearranged my downloads
    subfolders into function instead. Makes it a lot easier to find duplicates.

    >I did the sub-folder by site thing for a while, then happened to think
    >about
    > certain things that have been put on 2 or more sites, like at modthesims2
    > and another site. Or at TSR and another site. So I rearranged my
    > downloads
    > subfolders into function instead. Makes it a lot easier to find
    > duplicates.

    I wish I'd done that.... I have too much stuff to go through now to find it
    all and sort it, OR I'm just too lazy to do it. Should have done it when I
    first installed Uni and lost most of my downloads. Instead, right away I
    wanted Downloads Back!
    I have used Sims2Pack Installer and wow, did it find a lot of duplicates.
    Now that I've done that the folder doesn't look too bad. I want to thank you
    BG, for suggesting ExtractNow, I really like it. With all the help I've
    gotten from such great people like you, I'm not doing TOO bad now. I'm
    Actually going to play a little bit tonight...WooHoo!
    Sage

> [...]
    >> >
    >> > walls
    >> > floors
    >> > objects
    >> > hacks (if you use them, I don't)
    >> > And anything else I can't think of.
    >> >
    >> > Your skins needs to be in the Downloads folder loose (i.e. not in a
    >> > sub-folder) - BUT if you don't create your own skins, you can also put
    >> > these
    >> > in the Saved Sims folder. If you do make your own skins, I wouldn't do
    >> > this
    >> > as your own stuff will get mixed up with the skins and you won't be
    >> > able
    >> > find it.
    >> >
    >> > I use Clean Installer to check out repeats in the Downloads folder and
    >> > weed out any hacks that get past my vigilance (this doesn't happen
    > often)
    >> > but I delete most stuff I don't want from inside the game (or Bodyshop

    I agree with you - it's a bit much to have to manage a game to that extent.
    I wouldn't do it myself except that I am rather obsessive about these
    things. I WANT to know what all these things are doing.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    "Sage" <lbee@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Maxon... You're really a Big help, thank you!!!
    > I'm saving this post to refer to later. I'm not as careful as you are, I
    put
    > all of one site or creator in all at the same time. I'm not known for my
    > _patience_ and don't think we should have to go through this for the game.
    > This is my biggest disappointment with it.

    I sort my store by site - it really helps.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

> [...]
    > > > floors
    > > > objects
    > > > hacks (if you use them, I don't)
    > > > And anything else I can't think of.
    > > >
    > > > Your skins needs to be in the Downloads folder loose (i.e. not in a
    > > > sub-folder) - BUT if you don't create your own skins, you can also put
    > > > these
    > > > in the Saved Sims folder. If you do make your own skins, I wouldn't
    do
    > > > this
    > > > as your own stuff will get mixed up with the skins and you won't be
    able
    > > > find it.
    > > >
    > > > I use Clean Installer to check out repeats in the Downloads folder and
    > > > weed out any hacks that get past my vigilance (this doesn't happen
    > often)
    > > > but I delete most stuff I don't want from inside the game (or Bodyshop

    Just wait til you accidently grab the same object from different sites tho
    :(

    > I sort my store by site - it really helps.
    >
    > Best wishes
    > Maxon

    > > I did the sub-folder by site thing for a while, then happened to think
    > about
    > > certain things that have been put on 2 or more sites, like at
    modthesims2
    > > and another site. Or at TSR and another site. So I rearranged my
    > downloads
    > > subfolders into function instead. Makes it a lot easier to find
    > duplicates.
    > >
    > > "Sage" <lbee@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi Maxon... You're really a Big help, thank you!!!
    > > > I'm saving this post to refer to later. I'm not as careful as you are,
    > > put
    > > > all of one site or creator in all at the same time. I'm not known for
    my
    > > > _patience_ and don't think we should have to go through this for the
    > game.
    > > > This is my biggest disappointment with it.
    > > > I do use the design tool, which has been Very helpful and do have
    > > > sub-folders with the skins in downloads loose. I don't make anything
    > > myself
    > > > so that's one headache I can check off the list.
    > > > The one box type house is a very good idea, I'll do that from now on.
    > > have
    > > > 2 painting hacks and the Mirror hack, as well as the no-blur... they
    all
    > > > seem to work fine and I've had no crashes at all. Just this pesky
    > download
    > > > problem and having some NOT showing up at all. I got ExtractNow and
    will
    > > use
    > > > that for any .rar files... Whew! I'm so happy not to _have_ to use
    > > WinRar...
    > > > Thank you so much!
    > > > Sage
    > > >

    > > > "Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message

    > > in,
    > type.
    > checking
    > > finally
    > > with
    > > have
    > > they
    in
    > > buy
    > > on

    > do
    > able

    > > often)
    Bodyshop
    > > or

    > > Files,
    > it
    > there
    > SimPE
    > it.

    You mean when lots have been packaged and objects turn up from other sites -
    or do you actually mean stolen stuff?

    I downloaded a pair of my own glasses from the Exchange a while back - from
    someone else.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    > Just wait til you accidently grab the same object from different sites tho
    > :(

    No no no, I mean like some that post stuff at mts2 and on their own sites
    too. Sometimes you don't realize you already have the object. So say you
    got something made by Brianna at mts2, then got it again at WDS. You would
    have the same object in different folders. :)

    > You mean when lots have been packaged and objects turn up from other
    sites -
    > or do you actually mean stolen stuff?
    >
    > I downloaded a pair of my own glasses from the Exchange a while back -
    from
    > someone else.
    >
    > Best wishes
    > Maxon

    > > Just wait til you accidently grab the same object from different sites
    tho
    > > :(

    Oh OK - yes, I do see what you mean. It's because MTS2 has Beta testing
    forums which is really useful if you're developing a hack.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    > Oh OK - yes, I do see what you mean. It's because MTS2 has Beta testing
    > forums which is really useful if you're developing a hack.
    >
    > Best wishes
    > Maxon

    Tell me. What is the definition of 'a hack'?
    is it an object that changes the normal running of the program?
    Like the selection mirror?

    So a 'cheat' is a key-board entered command that is included in the
    programming by default.. Right...
    And a download, then, is any object that you put into the game which may, or
    may not be, a hack.
    What about things you alter yourself in homemaker. What are they called?

    Granny - confused - it's all those elephant guns firing right by my earhole.

    "Granny Crabapple" <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

    > Tell me. What is the definition of 'a hack'?
    > is it an object that changes the normal running of the program?
    > Like the selection mirror?

    I'd guess something that changes the coding/behaviour of the game, i.e.
    hacks into the programming code.

    > So a 'cheat' is a key-board entered command that is included in the
    > programming by default.. Right...
    > And a download, then, is any object that you put into the game which may,
    or
    > may not be, a hack.
    > What about things you alter yourself in homemaker. What are they called?

    Things you make in Homemaker. Well, 'additional content' or 'user-created
    content', I suppose.

    Granny Crabapple wrote:

    >>Oh OK - yes, I do see what you mean. It's because MTS2 has Beta testing
    >>forums which is really useful if you're developing a hack.
    >>
    >>Best wishes
    >>Maxon
    >>

    > Tell me. What is the definition of 'a hack'?
    > is it an object that changes the normal running of the program?
    > Like the selection mirror?
    >
    > So a 'cheat' is a key-board entered command that is included in the
    > programming by default.. Right...
    > And a download, then, is any object that you put into the game which may, or
    > may not be, a hack.
    > What about things you alter yourself in homemaker. What are they called?
    >
    > Granny - confused - it's all those elephant guns firing right by my earhole.

    I consider a cheat to be what you enter via the cheat window.

    A hack is an object that changes the normal program. My flamingos are
    hacks that mess with Sims moods and aspiration levels. Hacks will also
    let you alter the sims- like the inseminator mirror, or the mailbox that
    lets you become friends with everybody in the neighborhood. These hack
    into the game and mess with code.

    The objects that have only been recolored and/or remeshed are just extra
    objects. They are as the designers of the game intended them to be.

    -georg

    So you associate everything at mts2 as having to do with hacked objects?
    Because of the beta testing forums is why we have new meshes in the game
    now. And they also contributed to making SimPe work for making recolors
    possible.
    Maybe I should have used tsr as an example because that is where i actually
    found the duplicates.

    > Oh OK - yes, I do see what you mean. It's because MTS2 has Beta testing
    > forums which is really useful if you're developing a hack.
    >
    > Best wishes
    > Maxon

    > > No no no, I mean like some that post stuff at mts2 and on their own
    sites
    > > too. Sometimes you don't realize you already have the object. So say
    you
    > > got something made by Brianna at mts2, then got it again at WDS. You
    > would
    > > have the same object in different folders. :)
    > >
    > > "Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > > > You mean when lots have been packaged and objects turn up from other
    > > sites -
    > > > or do you actually mean stolen stuff?
    > > >
    > > > I downloaded a pair of my own glasses from the Exchange a while back -
    > > from
    > > > someone else.
    > > >
    > > > Best wishes
    > > > Maxon
    > > >

    > > > "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote in message
    > > tho

    mmm no - I was just citing that as an example of one of the things they do.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    > So you associate everything at mts2 as having to do with hacked objects?
    > Because of the beta testing forums is why we have new meshes in the game
    > now. And they also contributed to making SimPe work for making recolors
    > possible.
    > Maybe I should have used tsr as an example because that is where i
    actually
    > found the duplicates.

    > > Oh OK - yes, I do see what you mean. It's because MTS2 has Beta testing
    > > forums which is really useful if you're developing a hack.
    > >
    > > Best wishes
    > > Maxon
    > >
    > > "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote in message
    > > > No no no, I mean like some that post stuff at mts2 and on their own
    > sites
    > > > too. Sometimes you don't realize you already have the object. So say
    > you
    > > > got something made by Brianna at mts2, then got it again at WDS. You
    > > would
    > > > have the same object in different folders. :)
    > > >
    > > > "Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > > > sites -

    > > > from

    > sites