Can't install Windows 7 on fresh built computer

Badent

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
Hello! I've done a lot of research into this and I just can't find a solution.
I just built a new computer ordering the parts online & putting them together and I have come to the stage of trying to do a fresh Windows 7 install on the HDD.
But, for some reason when I get to the step of selecting which hard drive to install on, Windows can't detect my hard drive. A Samsung 1TB F3 Spinpoint SATA II.
The weird thing is that it shows up fine in the BIOS. I've tried changing SATA connection port on the motherboard (this changes which channel it is listed under the BIOS. i.e Channel 1/2/3 Master/Slave) but Windows still can't detect it.
So apparently I need to format the hard drive before I can install Windows on it. I've been told this is easily done using the Windows 7 disk but I am still having no luck. It can't detect the hard drive to format in the first place. When I press Esc to go to the boot manager there isn't an option to format there either. And when I browse for drivers under Windows installation, I click on C and format and an error message appears saying check that it's connected properly or it's read-only.
I have also tried burning boot disks and running them but they just won't run when I insert of disk and boot from CD-ROM.
So I am totally lost now, if anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Badent

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
I tried switching between IDE & AHCI, the default was IDE and when I switched to AHCI the hard drive and the DvD-RW drive were not listed under the BIOS page which shows what channel they are listed as. When I booted with AHCI mode, there is what appears to be an error message on startup text that shows for a split second. Windows was still unable to detect the hard drive under AHCI mode.

I have a DvD that came with the motherboard, I've tried putting it in but nothing happens. So not quite sure how to "use" the disk but in the manual it says it should be used after the operating system is installed. For reference, the motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3 LGA 1155.

You should have IDE mode selected in the SATA controller section of the BIOS and then all of your drives should be detected. Alternatively set AHCI in the BIOS and when the windows installation disk starts press F6 when prompted to load the SATA drivers from your motherboard CD.

Badent

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
Well originally it was set to IDE and the BIOS detected the hard drive but windows couldn't. You're saying that on IDE mode they should be detected, so what could possibly bet the reason that Windows is not detecting the hard drive?

Either way, I've loaded the motherboard CD but I don't know which driver to load. When I have "Hide drivers that are not compatible with hardware on this computer" ticked, nothing shows up. So far just found some drivers for xraid. I'll keep looking.

I will try digging around the CD with both IDE and AHCI mode set, see if I get lucky.

skaz

Distinguished
What motherboard and BIOS version are you using? A BIOS update might be in order to recognize that hard drive.

Quick Double-checks: Set BIOS to default settings. Plug hard drive into first sata slot, usually labelled Sata_0. Make sure there is a sata power connector plugged into the hard drive.

Badent

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
I'm not sure about the motherboard version, but the BIOS version is F3. Does that need an update?

Hard drive is plugged into the SATA_0 and yes there is a power connecter to it. :)

Badent

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011

Ok I will give that F6 update a go since the F8A is in Beta. The file is an .exe, so how do I run that? DvD or USB? And since I don't have an operating system installed yet. Do I just try run it when I browse for drivers? Or should it just run automatically when inserted?

skaz

Distinguished
Your manual should give you different options for installing a new BIOS. One of the options should enable you to install the new BIOS without any OS. I'll take a look at the manual for you and get back to you.

skaz

Distinguished
Chapter 4-2 for instructions in your manual. Use the Q-flash method.

EDIT: So, yes extract the BIOS file you downloaded from the Gigabyte website. Then save the new file to your usb drive. Make sure Usb drive is formatted in either FAT 32, 16, or 12.

Badent

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
Ok I formatted a flash disk specifically to FAT 16 and put the .exe file on it. When I followed the Q-flash guide and selected to load USB I got this screen:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B41LL4FF49zGMmJkMmRiM2QtM2JlNC00OWU0LTllNTQtMmU0NWUxNTVhZTc1&hl=en_US

I don't know what I am doing wrong here... This is such a simple thing I'm trying to do just installing windows :(
Anyway to develop from that point, I went and downloaded Samsung's driver diagnostic tool and ran it to see if there were any detectable problems. The tests all passed. Funny enough, I also tried a DBAN disk to try format and it couldn't detect the hard disk.

I've made an enquiry with a local tech support company as I see this to be a last resort now, so I'll see how that goes. Thank you for the advice I really appreciate it.

Bluesboy

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012

I know this is old now but thought I would reply in case it helps others. I just had the exact same issue with a new 1TB HDD and GIGABYTE MB with win7 Home Premium. The way I got around it was to start installing an old XP set up disk. This loaded some drivers before coming up with a error. I then put in the win 7 disk and voila there was the disk partition showing up. The OS loaded fine from there.

JAMES B

Honorable
May 10, 2013

All u need to do is partition the drive and it will show up worked for me and i had same problem did not change anything in bios exept to read drive install disk.........