Sign in with
Your question

HAF 932 vs Cosmos S: Attack of Cooler Master!

Last response: in Systems
March 17, 2009 6:26:23 AM

Im looking to buy either one of these. although Im not sure which one. The Cosmos S is very quiet and is very sleek where the HAF 932 is Noisy, but really cool. Any input from others who have, or currently own one of these would be appreciated. I have looked at other cases like Antec 1200, Thermaltake Spedo, Lian Li's PC-X2000; and decided against them.

This is the first Purchase I am making towards building a Westmere/DX11 machine. My current Comp is no slouch with a E8400 @4.0GHZ 8800GT SLI, but I figured to help with the money down the road, I can upgrade some parts now. IE Going from 4GB DDR2 to 6GB DDR3, Mid-Tower to Full Tower, Sound Card, etc. Then when DX11 cards and Windows 7 are released this Fall I can upgrade those, and upgrade my Mobo/CPU next Year with a Westmere CPU/x68* chipset.

*Guesstimate
March 17, 2009 6:59:45 AM

Westmere will run on x58 I'm pretty sure.

The Haf is by no means a noisy case, its large fans are very quiet. What makes the Cosmos quieter is hat it has sound dampening material which muffles the sound of your other noisier components.

You should also give this case a look, its very comparable to the HAF and I think its a better value, currently $40 off at newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
March 17, 2009 7:11:15 AM

Yeah I saw the Sniper Series, but I am looking at Full Tower Cases. I don't want Midtower's anymore, as I live on a subtropical island and need better airflow.

As for Westmere and the X58 they should work together. However i'm sure a newer chipset will come out by then.
Related resources
March 17, 2009 7:17:24 AM

...you will have a tough time finding better airflow than the storm sniper I think, it rivals the HAF. Larger cases take more fans too cool because they are so large. It is 10" wide and you have endless options of places to mount fans on the side pannel without interfering with your heatsink or video cards. And the storm sniper is by no means a small case, its extraordinarily roomy for a midtower. The price difference will easily pay for some extra fans to stick in there. In fact I'm kinda puzzled as to why it is labeled as a midtower and not a full tower.

Demensions: Storm sniper: 22" x 10" x 21.7", HAF 22.7" x 9" x 21.5"
March 17, 2009 7:47:46 AM

xthekidx said:
...you will have a tough time finding better airflow than the storm sniper I think, it rivals the HAF. Larger cases take more fans too cool because they are so large. It is 10" wide and you have endless options of places to mount fans on the side pannel without interfering with your heatsink or video cards. And the storm sniper is by no means a small case, its extraordinarily roomy for a midtower. The price difference will easily pay for some extra fans to stick in there. In fact I'm kinda puzzled as to why it is labeled as a midtower and not a full tower.

Demensions: Storm sniper: 22" x 10" x 21.7", HAF 22.7" x 9" x 21.5"

OCC Did a Comparison Temp Test on the Sniper vs the Cosmos S and Sniper won, so I will take a look at it when I hit up Goodwill this weekend. (In Japan Goodwill is like Fry's)
March 17, 2009 2:28:18 PM

hawtfrank said:
My current Comp is no slouch with a E8400 @4.0GHZ 8800GT SLI, but I figured to help with the money down the road, I can upgrade some parts now. IE Going from 4GB DDR2 to 6GB DDR3, Mid-Tower to Full Tower, Sound Card, etc. Then when DX11 cards and Windows 7 are released this Fall I can upgrade those, and upgrade my Mobo/CPU next Year with a Westmere CPU/x68* chipset.

Be careful there. Does your current motherboard allow you to take out the DDR2 and put in DDR3? There are only a few motherboards who support both. Even if yours does support it, I think it's a bad idea. DDR3 will not bring any noticeable speed improvement over DDR2, and it's expected to become cheaper by the Fall too.
March 17, 2009 10:19:53 PM

honestly unless you plan on doing some heavy overclocking then you should just go with the one that looks better
!