Sign in with
Your question

Intel Announces Core i5 and Core i3

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
June 18, 2009 1:54:28 PM

Quote:
The important take away points are as follows:

1) The new brand is Intel Core. There will be three derivatives: Core i7, Core i5 and Core i3.

2) The Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad branding will eventually disappear.

3) Pentium, Celeron and Atom will remain.

4) Centrino will also go away and Intel's WiFi and WiMAX products will inherit the name starting in 2010.

Didn't even know they had a Core i3 in the works. Looks like it doesn't have Turbo either, so I'm thinking it's more for laptops/low power?

See: AnandTech:Intel Quietly Announces Core i5 and Core i3 Branding
June 18, 2009 2:28:29 PM

Shadow703793 said:

Didn't even know they had a Core i3 in the works. Looks like it doesn't have Turbo either, so I'm thinking it's more for laptops/low power?

See: AnandTech:Intel Quietly Announces Core i5 and Core i3 Branding

I wonder what will be the differences in performance between i7 LGA1366 and i7 LGA1156 ....

The hype for gamers will be definitelly i5 dual core. With turbo to achieve higher frequency.
June 18, 2009 2:35:22 PM

Anyone have anything on how the turbo will work on the duals? Cant remember if its in the AT link. I know the quads are explained, as to turbo usage. Will both cores max out in turbo? Or will one be slower than the other, like we see on the quads?
Related resources
June 18, 2009 2:41:04 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Anyone have anything on how the turbo will work on the duals? Cant remember if its in the AT link. I know the quads are explained, as to turbo usage. Will both cores max out in turbo? Or will one be slower than the other, like we see on the quads?

Good question.

Another thing i remembered: is there any difference in Cache between i7-1366 and i7-1156 ?

a b à CPUs
June 18, 2009 3:07:01 PM

Anand's preview on Lynnfield: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=357...

Some of the differences for i5 (and presumablyi3?):

2 memory controllers, instead of 3
Slower memory buss (DMI @ 2~4GB/s, instead of QPI @ 25GB/s)
adds an integrated 16 lane PCi contoller, since graphics could/would saturate the slower DMI buss.
i3 has no Turbo Mode, while i5 does.

My read on it is an i5 should not be bottlenecked in a typical desktop situation with a single GPU, and the onboard PCi (2.0) controller should have much less latency than one in the usual place (Southbridge). So for a typical gamer, this appears to be the way to go versus a more expensive i7 setup.

It *might* be bottlenecked in a Crossfire/SLI configuration if you are using a pair of high end cards, since the onboard PCi controller would be running 2 x8, instead of 1x16. It will be interesting to see if the advantage of a faster responding integrated buss can/will offset the loss of raw bandwidth. Keep in mind it's PCi 2.0 - So it's still a generous amount of bandwidth. Having said that, I do not believe anyone should want to do triple or quad graphics with an i5.
a b à CPUs
June 18, 2009 4:21:02 PM

^Agreed, for Quad/Tri SLI set ups the i5 *may* be a bottle neck. When Quad/Tri SLI i5 boards comes out Toms should do a review/investigation in to this.
a b à CPUs
June 18, 2009 4:33:34 PM

So they are going to have a 4 core version as well as a dual core with hyperthreading? Also an LGA-1156 i7 is rather a surprise. Still, it seems like some of these products will either compete with LGA-1366 and the i920, or Intel will have to phase out that part and not have any LGA-1366 CPU for less than $400 to keep that from happening. We'll see just how confusing it gets in the coming months.
a b à CPUs
June 18, 2009 5:25:34 PM

Quote:
We'll see just how confusing it gets in the coming months.

lol, this is going to be 2x the nVidia GPU naming fiasco (8xxx versus 9xxx cards, which are just the same). It was a pretty dumb idea to release 2 sockets at once. I mean I see why they did it, but really? 2 socket types?
!