Lite on DVD writer stops working

mar2010

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
Hi,

I have a Lite-on dvd burner IHAS124-04 in a home built system. Its connected via sata to an MSI 870 G45 mobo. It has worked well for about six weeks, then about 3-4 weeks ago, it stopped working. Rebooting didn't help. Opening the case and reattaching the cables seemed to fix it.

SInce then it works intermittently. Rebooting sometimes helps. It was working this morning (played Dragon's Age origins) and now at lunch the drive isn't working. The dvd burner does not appear in WIndows 7 under device manager. Scanning does not find it. THe dvd burner does not show up in the BIOS. Rebooting does not work.

Why does it stop working? I could open up the case and reattach the cables again, but that doesn't tell me what happens to make it stop working.

Jonmor68

Distinguished
We can't tell you why, sometimes they just do, could be faulty components, workmanship or both.
I bough a new Lite-On sata burner a few weeks ago and it couldn't read any dvd, but worked fine on cd's, I took it back the next day and got a replacement which is now working fine.