Sign in with
Your question

What is the Best card for the money?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 9, 2009 7:31:22 AM

So i'm attemting to config a new desktop full tower but I need some help.

I want a system for about 800 ish, and i want to do the following:

Crysis is the game i really want to play, Farcry 2, COD Modern warfare, Bioshock 1/2, Halo, CSS, Half Life 2, ETC.

Additional info:
I like Nvidia powered by EVGA but i can go for anything
I'll first be running off my 27 tv then buying a monitor later
Power is no issue

So what cards are best for Gaming on a Budget?

Thanks in advance for the info.

More about : card money

April 9, 2009 7:32:18 AM

Why do none of you list the resolutions you plan on using :sarcastic: 
a c 106 U Graphics card
April 9, 2009 8:19:34 AM

For around an $800 build I'd say Radeon 4850 if you plan on getting a 1680x1050 monitor soon. If you're going to go with a lower resolution like 1440x900 when you get your monitor then you'd be fine just getting a 4830 or 4670(if you don't mind crysis on medium), so you can devote more money towards a crossfire board and suitable power supply so that you can add a second card latter on when you need the performance. If you want to get a monitor with a resolution higher than 1680x1050, then certainly go with a 4870 or a 260, whatever has a better sale ^_^.
Related resources
a c 106 U Graphics card
April 9, 2009 8:20:50 AM

It's crazy that you can reasonably add a 4870 or GTX260 to a sub $800 build now and still keep the rest of the system reasonable.
a c 177 U Graphics card
April 9, 2009 3:50:52 PM

@ LandynSilence: Like the guys have said, we really need a little more info, particularly on the resoloution you plan on using in the future.
I`ll stick my neck out though; GTX260/HD4870(1Gb). They can handle most games at high/maximum settings and getting anything less for a new build simply makes no sense, you`ll just end up upgrading sooner making it a false economy to get a cheap card now.
a c 177 U Graphics card
April 9, 2009 3:51:50 PM

P.S. you might want to post your specs and questions in the Homebuilt Forum as well.
April 10, 2009 2:20:42 AM

rewindlabs said:
Why do none of you list the resolutions you plan on using :sarcastic: 

Im sorry, the truth is i have no idea!!!!! thats why I need your help.
April 10, 2009 2:29:53 AM

So I'll come clean, I LOVE TO PLAY GAMES!!!!!! but i'm about as technically scripted as..... well a noob. I didn't even know monitor matters. I'm hopeless in a way but i have already given specs to the homebuilt and gotten a lot of ideas, it was really clear how little i knew there as well.

So If you are willing to please help me....

Im on a budget but i want to play games without issues.

So what combination should i go for Card+Monitor Best performance but lowest overall...

Thank you all for saving me from just jumping on a card because i want a desktop so bad....
I'll research more but i'm sure what you all know already would help emensly.

Thanx
a b U Graphics card
April 10, 2009 3:28:44 AM

Does that price include a monitor? If so it is going to be a low end PC. That couple hundred bucks could make a big difference.
April 10, 2009 4:28:33 AM

We will need to know all of the specs of your lcd?

Such as the model number etc so we can find the specs :heink: 
!