Graphics board is burning

jhyukkang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
hi, i know "burning" is too extreme but i thought i could get some attentions

my card is 2600pro HIS ICEQ OC, today i checked all temps in my system to see if everything were alright with overclocked cpu and gpu. found out gpu was little high at 72C at full load. i opened it up, i felt the board (not heatsink cuz that should be "burning") but board was very hot too, i could not touch it for more than 3 secs. also i was touching the edge of the card too.

is this not normal? i dont have super cooling case but i think i have okay cooling in my case.

i have tv tuner on bottom pci slot (i dont know why but this things pretty hot too, especially small chip(looks like old geforce 5200fx core) says something about converter.

thanks for reading

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
One day you will have just enough moisture on your hand to cause a short and you will be the quickest way to ground/earth.

You most likely touched the board directly in line with the GPU and even though you get 72C reading in Windows the actual heat will be much more on the core and hence the immediate areas around it.

That will cause the burning sensation you got.

Which software are you using to load the GPU? There`s a world of difference between 3D Mark 06 (or a game) and Furmark.
I`d suggest you restore the card to its default speeds and check the temperatures again.
Although 72C sounds hot it`s not really that bad for a GPU under full load, especially one that has been overclocked.
BTW 65C is hot enough to cause minor burns!