giannioviero

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Hi all. I want to replace my 80 gb IDE hdd with a 250 gb one. My mobo ia an Asus P4BM. Will my mobo recognize it? If not, what is the max hdd size it can recognize? And finally, 5400 or 7200 rpm? Thanx

pmoshik

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010

hi, i think that your mobo will recognize.
and in your mobo user guide there is no Reference to the capacity off a hdd.
i hope i help you moshe
:D :pt1cable:

giannioviero

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010

thank you

From ASUS' web site there is a technical document that states that the P4B-M has had 48-bit LBA (i.e. > 128 GB) HDD Support since BIOS Version 1003.

So if you're running with BIOS Version 1003 or later you shouldn't have a problem with the 250 GB.

And, you have to be running Windows XP SP1 or newer to support hard drives over 127GB.

But, you can't install Windows XP pre SP1, then upgrade to SP1 +. It'll top the drive out at 127GB. But there are ways around it. But not simple.

**Edit** My bad. Paperdoc below pointed out SP1, not SP3, as I opriginally stated.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
More precisely, to use 48-bit LBA (for HDD's over 137 GB) with Win XP, it must be SP1 or later, not necessarily SP3. However, no matter how you start out, if you use XP, I definitely recommend you do the upgrade to SP3.

What version of Windows is already on your 80 GB HDD? IF it is XP original (no Service Packs) or earlier, you MUST update BEFORE making the drive upgrade. But if you have at least SP1 already running, or if your OS is Vista or Win 7, you have no worries. Wherever you buy your new HDD from, check the unit's manufacturer's website for a cloning utility. Both Seagate and WD have very good ones you can download for free, and they do a LOT more than just cloning. Seagate's is Disk Wizard; WD's is Acronis True Image WD Edition. With each there is a small trick to watch for in going to a much larger drive - you usually have to set the size of the new Partition on the new HDD manually, because the default often is to make it the SAME size as your old drive!.

giannioviero

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010

Hi ko888 and thank you for your reply. How do i check that my Bios version is 1003?My old Hdd is dead and that is why i want to replace it, so i can not boot up and check for it. Is there another way to find out? Thanx for your time.

During POST (Power On Self Test) the BIOS version should be displayed. You don't even need a hard disk drive to be connected to the computer.

You can also use a boot diskette that has DOS and the AFLASH BIOS update utility to determine your current BIOS version.