Sign in with
Your question

P4 vs. P8 will my cpu work???

Last response: in Components
June 18, 2009 5:38:02 PM

Hey everyone,

I have a gigabyte GA EP45 UD3P motherboard and it has a P8 connector for the cpu, my cpu is an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, in the motherboard manual it says to use a P8 connector when using Intel Extreme Edition processors (130w). Now i have a modular PSU and it would suit me better to use the P4 connector rather than the P8 due to space etc. I assume in the manual when it says 130w it means TDP? and i have had a look on here and the TDP for the E8400 is 65w. But I have read the P4 was initially used for Pentium 4 CPUs, and i had a look with not much luck apart from wikipeia and most of the TDPs were between 85w-110w

Basically i just want to make sure it will be ok to use the P4 connector with my CPU and Motherboard? thanks for all the help in advance i'm quite new to

computer building and i am getting a bit of a headache! thanks again

Rob

More about : cpu work

June 18, 2009 6:09:39 PM

Yes You will be OK. 8 pin only required for high overclocks with quad CPU's
June 18, 2009 6:26:49 PM

brilliant, thanks alot btw do you know if there will be any performance issues with the GPU because of the P4 in my CPU? its only a XFX4830, because i had a faulty psu and it made the screen kinda flicky (lame description because it wasn't that bad...) i think it might have been the phase? it was noticable on COD4 when i plugged the P8 with my new PSU i think it looked slightly better, but i guess its because of a DVI to VGA signal, anyway thanks again

Rob
Related resources
June 18, 2009 6:43:24 PM

Does not affect GPU at all, it only delivers power to CPU
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 18, 2009 7:22:16 PM

When I saw the title, I was honestly thinking "When was the Pentium 8 released?" :( 
June 18, 2009 8:08:55 PM

lol sorry mate, can u imagine that be like a bloody powerhouse, i wouldnt have enough p4 p8 connectors!
June 18, 2009 8:10:12 PM

btw sweet system specs, whats the mobo like?
!