Sign in with
Your question

Newly built PC won't boot...

Last response: in Systems
March 17, 2009 5:23:31 PM

Help! Built my own PC but it wont boot!
Hope someone can help me here.

Bought mobo, processor, over internet (all new parts) but after i've spent 2 hours putting everything together it simply wont boot.

As soon as i power on the cpu fan spins along with all case fans and front panel led. But after just a fraction of a second everything turns off immediately.

All these parts are brand new i just think i am missing something simple. But ive just spend £250 on this system and dont know what to try next.
Really would appreciate any help you can offer.

Below is the system:

1) Processor
Intel Pentinum dualcore E5200 (2.5ghz) Socket 775 FSB800 Retail Boxed

2) Motherboard
ASRock 4CoreDual-SATAII R2.0

3) Graphics Card
ATi Radeon X1650pro AGP version

4) Power Supply
Casecom 500W

Thanks

More about : newly built boot

March 17, 2009 6:04:05 PM

there should be a tiny speaker either in the case or plugged in to the mb that gives a single beep when the computer POSTS .

have you got that connected and does it give any sound at all?
m
l
March 17, 2009 6:08:49 PM

Outlander_04 said:
there should be a tiny speaker either in the case or plugged in to the mb that gives a single beep when the computer POSTS .

it doesnt even get to POST, all it does is spin the case fan a little...
m
l
Related resources
March 17, 2009 6:11:18 PM

Outlander_04 said:

it doesnt even get to POST, all it does is spin the case fan a little...
m
l
March 17, 2009 6:18:53 PM

im thinking the power supply just may be doo doo , have you got a buddy with some parts to swap to see what may be doa>?
m
l
March 17, 2009 6:23:59 PM

JaredAudiophileGamer said:
im thinking the power supply just may be doo doo , have you got a buddy with some parts to swap to see what may be doa>?

hmm... the power supply worked before in my old PC but maybe i might have connected things up wrong this time :( 
would reverse polarity damage bits?
m
l
March 17, 2009 6:41:59 PM

For a system to shut off that quickly suggests a short or overload. Did you mount the mobo on standoffs? Could a screw or other debris be on or under the mobo?
Disconnect everything not needed to POST (all drives and case fans). See what it does. If it POSTs, add devices one at a time, checking their power connections closely.
m
l
March 17, 2009 6:43:27 PM

carefully check your work. Quick turn on turn off means severe current draw. something is grounding out. If you have a multimeter, ohm out your 5,12,3 -5 to ground. This can be done at the connection where the main 20 or 24 pin connector plugs in from the power supply. 5 ohms on 5v line is 1 amp draw.
m
l
March 17, 2009 6:46:08 PM

Onus said:
For a system to shut off that quickly suggests a short or overload. Did you mount the mobo on standoffs? Could a screw or other debris be on or under the mobo?
Disconnect everything not needed to POST (all drives and case fans). See what it does. If it POSTs, add devices one at a time, checking their power connections closely.

yes it is mounted on standoffs, i will try other suggestions and get back to you...
m
l
March 17, 2009 6:47:17 PM

I had this happen to me. The problem I found was that I hooked up the LED, Power etc wires from the case wrong on the motherboard. Look at your motherboard manual and make sure they are correctly hooked up. Also if you have no CPU heatsink or if its not properly mounted it won't boot.
m
l
March 17, 2009 6:52:30 PM

as jtt283 says then its most likely a short or overload

also check that you have both mb power cables in securely

and you dont mention hard drive . is it by any chance a seagate 7200.11?

m
l
March 17, 2009 7:02:49 PM

kdbrier said:
I had this happen to me. The problem I found was that I hooked up the LED, Power etc wires from the case wrong on the motherboard. Look at your motherboard manual and make sure they are correctly hooked up. Also if you have no CPU heatsink or if its not properly mounted it won't boot.

all wires correctly fitted, double checked the user guide for reference... cpu might have been dislodged during installation, will check tomorrow...
m
l
March 17, 2009 7:04:31 PM

Is your video card plugged in correctly? Meaning the cables coming from your PSU, sometimes people use the wrong cables to power their video card. Another problem double check your video card or memory is seated fully, sometimes it requires a bit more pressure than most people realise.
m
l
March 17, 2009 7:06:53 PM

Outlander_04 said:
as jtt283 says then its most likely a short or overload

also check that you have both mb power cables in securely

and you dont mention hard drive . is it by any chance a seagate 7200.11?

dont need HDD to boot for first time but its a Maxtor DiamondMax 22 - 500 GB - 32MB cache
m
l
March 17, 2009 7:14:45 PM

nickhoff said:
Is your video card plugged in correctly? Meaning the cables coming from your PSU, sometimes people use the wrong cables to power their video card. Another problem double check your video card or memory is seated fully, sometimes it requires a bit more pressure than most people realise.

they are all seated and plugged properly :) 
m
l
March 17, 2009 7:15:20 PM

nickhoff said:

they are all seated and plugged in properly :) 
m
l
March 17, 2009 7:34:09 PM

GeffreyB said:
dont need HDD to boot for first time but its a Maxtor DiamondMax 22 - 500 GB - 32MB cache

you need a drive to boot , but not to POST .

As you may know the seagate 7200.11's shipped with faulty firmware . The one I had was so bad it caused a fault almost identical to the one you describe .

Since nothing is wrong with your pc and it still doesnt work then strip it down , clean all the sockets/ power conneter sockets with compressed air ,
Then reinstall the cpu , one stick of RAM and the gfx card and see if it POSTs
m
l
March 17, 2009 8:16:36 PM

Outlander_04 said:
you need a drive to boot , but not to POST .

As you may know the seagate 7200.11's shipped with faulty firmware . The one I had was so bad it caused a fault almost identical to the one you describe .

Since nothing is wrong with your pc and it still doesnt work then strip it down , clean all the sockets/ power conneter sockets with compressed air ,
Then reinstall the cpu , one stick of RAM and the gfx card and see if it POSTs

sorry not very good with computer lingo, but my HDD is new so i'll need to install OS before boot... i will strip it down to minimum and see what happens...
m
l
March 26, 2009 5:42:00 PM

dont worry everything is fixed now, duff PSU, good job it didnt destory any components
m
l
!