Sign in with
Your question

RAID 5 - ASUS Rampage III Extreme w/ Windows 7

Last response: in Storage
October 6, 2010 11:25:38 PM

Hey Everybody,

I built a new rig a couple of months ago and recently bought a 3rd TB hard drive and am looking to set up RAID 5.

So currently I have
3 x 1TB WD HD's
ASUS Rampage III Extreme Mobo
Windows 7 Home Premium

I've been looking for a couple of days now on a solid thread to help set up RAID 5 on this config but I haven't found much help. I have no experience setting up RAID in any regard so any help is greatly appreciated.

I understand that in the BIOS I need to set up a the 3 hard drives to be recognized as one by the OS but I don't understand how. And also when doing this and one of these hard drives is my boot drive will this screw up my OS? Am getting a SSD to be my boot drive asap but I would like to set this up before hand.

I am also wondering if it matters what SATA connections these hard drives are connected to, considering right now i have 2 connected to my SATA 3 ports and one connected to a SATA 2 port.

Again any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance!

Keith
February 22, 2011 6:57:41 PM

I am waiting for one of these boards to come in, but after looking at the specs more on newegg, raid 0/1/5 is only supported by the 6 3gbps links, and not the 2 6gbps links.
m
l
February 28, 2011 11:16:28 PM

Yea I eventually figured it out... made it out to be way harder in my head than it actually was though. Have my 3 x 1 TB drives in raid 5 on the SATAII Connections and then a Revodrive x2 in a PCIe slot. Also just a word of warning to you (mylogic) I could tell absolutely NO difference between SATAII and SATAIII (using a proper SATAIII HD and appropriate wire that came with the board). If that's a selling point for you then don't get this board. The OC'ing on this thing is great though.
m
l
!