Sign in with
Your question

5 computers all need backup.

Last response: in Storage
October 7, 2010 4:29:45 AM

Hello, out of all the PCs in our house (2 win7, 1 vista, 1xp, 1 mac), one has full backup, one have partial backup, and three have none at all. I'm concerned about this, and realize the most affordable way to go about backing them up would be backing up all the computers over the network somehow.

My friend has a nas server, although I'm not eager to go that route as NAS servers are costly and the only old desktop we could convert to a nas server, is well, too old and doesn't support SATA. I thought of putting a big hard drive in the win7 desktop and just get everyone to save to the network, but I'm not sure how I would make sure everyones files were private.

Regardless of the method used, I'm also concerned about getting backup software running on FOUR differant OSes.

Do you guys have any suggestions on what I should do?

Forgive me if this is the wrong forum, and please move this to where it should be.

More about : computers backup

a b G Storage
October 7, 2010 4:44:48 AM

Windows 7 has image backup utility built in for complete system backups. For Vista & XP (and W7 as well if you want) you could use the Macrium Reflect Free Edition Drive Image. http://www.macrium.com/ You could use a Large external USB drive some that also come with backup software.
No clue about the Mac. You will probably need seperate drive and software for it.
m
l
a b G Storage
October 7, 2010 4:53:35 AM

Well, I'd recommend Acronis True Image Home 2011 and a NAS, or a USB drive of suitable capacity for the 5 backups you need to make.

Backups can be encrypted and as wlong as everyone remembers their passwords all will be fine :) 

It may well be that different backup methods are not so bad. Some PCs can easily have file-only backup, forcing OS and program installs if HD fails. Others can do repeated full-image, or periodic full images plus interim change files. I have one system where the only backup uses Windows toy that keeps files/folders synched to the NAS.

But if you want one approach, you need a good package and a NAS, or folks just won't do it. SOmehow plugging in that USB drive is just too much work :) 
m
l
Related resources
October 7, 2010 6:26:57 AM

Ty for the advice so far, mind if i ask what your opinions are about getting a dedicated nas server as opposed to a win7 desktop with a networked drive? I'm tempted to lean towards the latter due to price issues, upgradability, and the need to network to this anyways because its hooked up to the tv and printer.

Edit: may forget about the mac for the moment. What i've read about nas backups so far is horrifying.

m
l
a b G Storage
October 8, 2010 4:30:00 AM

If the PC in question is always available or always on for other reasons, and if it recovers from sleeping disks well, it will work fine. Personally, I don't like my backup disks spinning all the time, and NAS/USB just works.
m
l
a b G Storage
October 12, 2010 2:58:19 PM

A dedicated NAS box, the size of a toaster, may be a bit more money but considering all of the people who contact me every week trying to recover data that wasn't backed up, I consider it worth it.

The major NAS vendors include software for Windows, Mac & Linux workstations to backup to the NAS, automatically.

ReadyNAS from Netgear is my favorite, but other brands are very good also. Some vendors even offer a cloud backup solution for the NAS to backup to the cloud automatically - sweet.

I have info/reviews on several home NAS's at my site: http://networkstoragetips.com/home-or-home-office-netwo...

Best,
Roger.
m
l
a b G Storage
October 12, 2010 2:58:56 PM

Twoboxer said:
If the PC in question is always available or always on for other reasons, and if it recovers from sleeping disks well, it will work fine. Personally, I don't like my backup disks spinning all the time, and NAS/USB just works.

Love your avatar!
m
l
a b G Storage
October 12, 2010 11:59:35 PM

TYVM - that flight was the next to last item on my Bucket List.
m
l
May 22, 2011 11:56:45 PM

Check out www.netcdp.com, you can backup to NAS or Amazon S3. You can actually get it for free now.

deltadevil said:
Hello, out of all the PCs in our house (2 win7, 1 vista, 1xp, 1 mac), one has full backup, one have partial backup, and three have none at all. I'm concerned about this, and realize the most affordable way to go about backing them up would be backing up all the computers over the network somehow.

My friend has a nas server, although I'm not eager to go that route as NAS servers are costly and the only old desktop we could convert to a nas server, is well, too old and doesn't support SATA. I thought of putting a big hard drive in the win7 desktop and just get everyone to save to the network, but I'm not sure how I would make sure everyones files were private.

Regardless of the method used, I'm also concerned about getting backup software running on FOUR differant OSes.

Do you guys have any suggestions on what I should do?

Forgive me if this is the wrong forum, and please move this to where it should be.

m
l
a c 289 G Storage
June 3, 2011 1:06:26 PM

On the storage side, you could just buy one or more large external drives. I would recommend eSATA if your machines support it, or USB. This option is less convenient than using a NAS, but cheaper. I defer to my esteemed colleagues on the backup software.
m
l
August 31, 2011 10:07:02 AM

Apparently you need a home server backup software to do schedule backup for your PCs.
Try easeus todo backup standard version. We are using it and it does good job for us.
m
l
August 31, 2011 11:44:08 PM

I am looking in to getting a Synology DS411slim Diskless System DiskStation Network Storage and 4 Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD5000BEVT 500GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Total $527.00 with all the sw.

Check out this thread for details:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/273049-32-synology-sd...
m
l
!