4890 crossfired with 4870

kusanagisan18

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Just got a 4890 and plan to go crossfire and to save some money I was thinking about getting a 4870 to go with it. I was just wondering if anyone had any benchmarks they could point me to or if there's anything I need to know about a setup like this.

I know you can mix cards with crossfire.. but I also heard that the faster card is clocked down to match the slower card and was wondering if this was true as well.

rangers

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
that was the case but not now, the 4890 will not be down clocked it will pick up the slack from the 4870, the way i understand it in a crossfire setup where both cards are the same, one card will do the top half and the other card will render the bottom half, but in a system where one card is faster you would probably get a 60/40 split.

kusanagisan18

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009

ah! That's very good to know! The 4870 still looks to be a good buy and the two together should preform well, I would think

kusanagisan18

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Well your taking advice from a guy who says "the way I understand it...", which is translated to, "I'm not sure but I think". (no disrespect rangers)
You need to read the FAQ and do research on ATI's website or maybe try ATI tech support, I would think they would be the ones to ask.
Before you go spend a bunch of money on something thats not gonna work correctly together and also make sure you have plenty of leftover amps on your power supply.

I'm aware of all the requirements and all of my parts are compatible my current setup is

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
Intel Core i7 920
Cosair CMPSU-750TX
ATI 4890
3x2gigs gskill DDR3 1600 memory

Everything matches with ATI's system requirements.. except the chart on ATI's website needs to be updated (the one here http://ati.amd.com/technology/crossfire/charts.html) and asking here is my research lol. But thanks for the tips though, i'm going to give ATI customer service a call

rangers

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Well your taking advice from a guy who says "the way I understand it...", which is translated to, "I'm not sure but I think". (no disrespect rangers)
You need to read the FAQ and do research on ATI's website or maybe try ATI tech support, I would think they would be the ones to ask.
Before you go spend a bunch of money on something thats not gonna work correctly together and also make sure you have plenty of leftover amps on your power supply.

none taken mate, its been some time since i researched crossfire, but im almost certain that the advice I gave is right

Techno-boy

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Actually, from what I know, is that the faster card will be bottleneck by the slower card if they both are crossfired. The speed of the faster card will be lowered to the slower card's speed if they both are crossfired. Unlike SLI, crossfire will allow us to use 2 different card models together but still, at the end it would make more sense to crossfire 2 same card models together. It would be better to crossfire HD 4870 with another HD 4870 unless if HD 4890 is cheaper. Also, 2 same card models would scale better than using 2 different card models together.

kusanagisan18

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009

Just ot let you know I called ATI/AMD they told me that the 4890 would be clocked down to meet the 4870, but maybe they're just saying this to get me to buy a more expensive 4890? lol

Nah, I believe them. I was just hoping I could save some money by doing this... maybe I can get another 4890 before the rebate offer ends

Its funny but generally speaking the higher spec card will down clock to the lower one, im kinda playing devils advocate here but i do know of at least one confirmed occasion where the lower card actually clocked up to the higher one. very un comon but it does happen.
Also being nit picky i always thought ATI Crossfire used AFR by default and not split frame or checkerboard, has this changed ?

Mactronix

rangers

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
from what i remember the faster card was downclocked, but seem to remember that they changed that but im not a 100%.

most of the time tech support don't know there @ss from there elbow, maybe TGGA can come in with the answer, i would like to know myself

rangers

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
looked around a bit and found some thing on anand forum

"Catalyst 8.1 correctly identifies the cards. We could see one HD3870 and one HD3850 card and we could access them separately in the Overdrive section. You can overclock them and the driver allowed us to change GPU and memory clocks on each card regardless from the other card's settings. However, this didn't give us much in terms of performance, but we're still pleased to see that you can mix these R670 based cards and set the clocks independantly."

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Threaded&catid=31&threadid=2152458

seems to suggest different clocks

Kalidae

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
Hey guys I know im a little late answering this thread but I just bumped into it then. I have a gigabyte 4890 OC edition and a reference sapphire 4870. Both are crossfired and the 4890 does not down clock to the 4870 clocks. In fact I have both clocked to 1100Mhz memory and the 4890 @ 955mhz core and the 4870@ 810mhz core.

QuiddlerX

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
I have the same setup as Kalidae, however, I have a sapphire vapor-x 4890 and a sapphire vapor-x 4870, and both can be clocked independently in overdrive. I had done the research, and found people had success with the combo and their futuremark vantage scores for the 4890-4870 combo was almost the same as the 4890-4890 cores. Installing the cards and installing the catalyst 9.9 software worked perfectly and recognized each card with no errors. It was just like I had 2 4870's installed, but one had higher clock speeds. And for the record, having one 4890 and one 4870 performs significantly better than 2 4870's while playing Crysis.

TRENDING THREADS