Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Completed Custom LCS

Last response: in Overclocking
November 7, 2010 2:23:20 AM

Hey Toms just completed my first LCS I want to thank several Toms members for all their valuable input. ortoklaz, rubix_1011, and Shadow703793.

It was a FUN (and frustrating) project learned alot from the countless hours of research. I also want to comment that XFX RMA service took 5 days to ship me 2 new 5870's WOW

Temps are 49c on prime95 for 2 hours @ 4.1Ghz and idle 29c
Parts
Swiftech MCP-655
CPU Waterblock- Koolance CPU-360
Radiator- Thermochill PA-120.3
Fans- Scythe sy125ssl "slipstream"
Reservoir- XSPC 5.25 Dual bay
Distilled water
Silver coil

Front

Inside

More about : completed custom lcs

November 7, 2010 5:37:21 AM

nice job. let me ask you what that device near your graphics card is?
November 7, 2010 5:42:33 AM

blackpanther26 said:
nice job. let me ask you what that device near your graphics card is?

By the bottom GPU?? If that's whats whats you are talking about it is a drain valve. On the backside of that valve is a hose that leads to the front of the case with a stopper on the end. (makes it easy to drain loop)
Related resources
November 7, 2010 10:27:17 AM

lol. I have one for my setup. yes it's a lot easier. I have the koolance drain plug.
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 7, 2010 12:30:14 PM

Looks good...you seem pretty happy with it. Temps seem pretty good; what is your stock CPU clock? ...wanted to know how much it was OC.

Also, I almost guarantee you'll want to add your GPUs into your loop. GPU temps are typically about about 50% lower when WC, but you are going to need another radiator.
November 7, 2010 2:20:17 PM

blackpanther26 said:
lol. I have one for my setup. yes it's a lot easier. I have the koolance drain plug.

That is a koolance also

November 7, 2010 2:27:16 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Looks good...you seem pretty happy with it. Temps seem pretty good; what is your stock CPU clock? ...wanted to know how much it was OC.

Also, I almost guarantee you'll want to add your GPUs into your loop. GPU temps are typically about about 50% lower when WC, but you are going to need another radiator.

rubix I am pretty happy, accept I don't care for the look of the drain plug area. May end up changing to a smaller drain valve. I may add the GPUs to the loop, but gonna wait a bit. Just got the 2 new gpus after that wild experience (as I am sure you know of) Hopping I can get away with a thermochill or xsps 12. What do you think? Again thanks for all of your recommendations!! :D 

Oh yea the stock processor is 2.8Ghz turbos to 3.2Ghz
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 7, 2010 3:24:07 PM

Hi miwanuma ,i'm glad everything worked out for you(RMA'd components),how long it takes for you to get rid of bubbles? I don't think you flash your rad prior to the installation so draining your loop after couple days should help .Looks like you got very good flow rate in the res,try to change pump speed from 5 to 3~3.5 and check the temps
November 7, 2010 3:57:27 PM

ortoklaz said:
Hi miwanuma ,i'm glad everything worked out for you(RMA'd components),how long it takes for you to get rid of bubbles? I don't think you flash your rad prior to the installation so draining your loop after couple days should help .Looks like you got very good flow rate in the res,try to change pump speed from 5 to 3~3.5 and check the temps

Thanks for all your assistance!!! You got the best answer on my other thread! I did flush it the water had a "cloudy" look to it. Now it looks clear I am going to put a smaller drain valve in it. Should I leave the speed on 3.5 for this small of a loop all of the time or just to test the temps? Also if I add the 2 gpus would a 120 be enough?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 7, 2010 4:08:14 PM

You will be fine with the speed on 3 ;) ,you could probably squeeze 140mm on the bottom (not sure tho),you need some kind UV light now to get full effect of this tubes
November 7, 2010 8:09:43 PM

That looks great, I was following the other thread and it's good to see the finished product. I also use the Scythe Slipstream fans (SY1225SL12SH) and that 1900RPM is much too loud for my tastes. However, running on 5V they spin at about 1100RPM and are much quieter but still move enough air to keep things cool.
November 8, 2010 12:16:06 AM

ortoklaz said:
You will be fine with the speed on 3 ;) ,you could probably squeeze 140mm on the bottom (not sure tho),you need some kind UV light now to get full effect of this tubes

Cant get a 140 tried to set a 140 fan I have pump gets in the way. Looks like I will have to settle for a 120 on rear outside where blue exhaust fan is. A 140 would have look good. pump on 3.5, 5 hours prime 50c @4100Mhz
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 8, 2010 12:26:58 AM

If you willing to mount the rad outside, go with min 220/ 240 rad,120 won't be enuf

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
November 8, 2010 1:19:52 AM

ortoklaz said:
If you willing to mount the rad outside, go with min 240 rad,120 won't be enuf

ok i see I I thought of something I can do i can add a res/pumpholder I have from before I bought the other one. I can mount under the hdd rack will 2 gpu work with ..
ThermoChill PA120.2 2x120mm High Performance Radiator - 15mm Spacing with
XSPC RX240 - 2x120mm Radiator Rev. 2
and
Swiftech MCB-120 Rev 2 Radbox Radiator/fan housing - Black
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 8, 2010 2:22:09 AM

i never liked Radbox's -to expensive ,nylon raisers are great and cheep ,can buy them in almost any hardware store (spray paint them if you desire ),PA120.2 or XSPC RX240 are great it's your choice
November 8, 2010 3:06:44 AM

ortoklaz said:
i never liked Radbox's -to expensive ,nylon raisers are great and cheep ,can buy them in almost any hardware store (spray paint them if you desire ),PA120.2 or XSPC RX240 are great it's your choice

Done I will use the risers when I add gpu to the loop. Gives me a chance to redo bottom of my existing loop My 655 from my research should be enough.

Something like this

Maybe i will do during the Christmas break
November 14, 2010 4:53:50 AM

Made a slight change because of the previous drain valve position (on the gpu)

November 14, 2010 4:57:00 AM

I just finished my water cooling build as well. I'll have pics up as soon as I can find my camra.
November 14, 2010 5:03:42 AM

blackpanther26 said:
I just finished my water cooling build as well. I'll have pics up as soon as I can find my camra.

Nice, I have enjoyed my build been educational and fun!! get them up!!
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 14, 2010 5:55:11 AM

miwanuma said:
Nice, I have enjoyed my build been educational and fun!! get them up!!

where is the pump? :(  that pic doesn't show much :na: 
November 14, 2010 6:12:14 AM

ortoklaz said:
where is the pump? :(  that pic doesn't show much :na: 

In the res on bottom it a res pump combo. I had it from my first purchase I was going to return it, but I decided to use it to change the drain plug area.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/xsacdu5refor1.html

Res

Back of res
November 14, 2010 6:36:25 AM

One more view

November 14, 2010 7:15:34 AM

I will post my temps though on full load. I know they are not the best temps as my block is really not the best. it's the DD-MCP.

sry about the blured photos
November 14, 2010 6:53:18 PM

Cool.. what kind of pump are you running?
November 14, 2010 10:25:41 PM

Got ya!
November 14, 2010 11:14:15 PM

only thing is with the case closed the temps are around 70c. I may replace my 140mm fans with higher airflow ones.
November 14, 2010 11:24:28 PM

Cable management will help also. What size rad are you using?
November 15, 2010 6:53:04 AM

yeah. I'm not the best at cable management but I do have some of the cables going behind my motherboard. That's why I have a modular PSU from NZXT.
November 19, 2010 3:32:52 AM

Hello all well after a pretty horrible week ending up in the hospital for 4 days I now have a few weeks at home. (to rest lol) So I figured I am going to finish up my rig and add the 2 gpu's to the loop. So I ordered 2 ek 5870 v2 black/acetel and a XSPC 240 from sidewinder. Based on my calculations my mcp655 should be enough to cover the entire loop. I am guessing I will have 7 feet of tubing.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 19, 2010 3:48:21 AM

that's weird..i broke my ankle two weeks ago,got to use crutches for another 4 weeks but any way your MCP655 will do the job no problem
November 19, 2010 7:41:24 AM

well hey make good time of being home. Btw what happened miwanuma?
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 19, 2010 12:28:49 PM

I'm running a MCP655 for a D-tek v2, dual Swiftech MCW60's, dual MCR320's and dual acrylic reservoirs that I made. Works like a charm...and I can see water churning in the res's the entire time...that pump is a beast.
November 19, 2010 1:34:31 PM

blackpanther26 said:
well hey make good time of being home. Btw what happened miwanuma?

Started with an abdominal pain which got progressively worse over a couple of days it turned out to be diverticulitis. (intestinal infection) which was operated on. Also newly diagnosed diabetic. when it rains it pours.
November 20, 2010 6:23:18 AM

rubix_1011 said:
I'm running a MCP655 for a D-tek v2, dual Swiftech MCW60's, dual MCR320's and dual acrylic reservoirs that I made. Works like a charm...and I can see water churning in the res's the entire time...that pump is a beast.

Should be interesting as I will have the pa 120.3, XSPC 240, 1 XSPC 5.25 dual bay, 1 XSPC 655/res combo, thanks to all your info I think I made a good choice with the 655. :bounce:  Should have everything by Tuesday
November 20, 2010 9:31:41 AM

I'm thinking of doing a dual loop so I can add my 5870 to the list as well as the NB mofset and SB.
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 20, 2010 12:28:53 PM

No reason to WC NB, SB, RAM and mostfets, unless you like spending money on blocks. Most people who watercool only stick to CPUs and GPUs...the rest are perfectly fine with the fans and heatsinks on the MB. If you don't feel they are adequate, just get a better HSF if you want. Most of those NB/SB/RAM/mosfet blocks are overly restrictive.
November 22, 2010 3:16:40 AM

Question what's the best way to clean a dual bay res? There is a "film" covering the inside of the res.

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 22, 2010 4:34:15 AM

acrylic reservoirs are pain in the..s .. to clean ( that's why i recommended you know what ) and you end up buying two :( 
here is what you do;
1-fill about half of res with soapy water and some rice and shake,shake,..if that wont work
2-use Pinesol, about 1-2 tablespoons per liter of water..if that won't work
3-mix white vinegar/distiled water only for very short time
then rinsing thoroughly with distilled water.. never use tap water it leaves huge amounts of mineral deposits
November 22, 2010 4:59:30 AM

ortoklaz said:
acrylic reservoirs are pain in the..s .. to clean ( that's why i recommended you know what ) and you end up buying two :( 
here is what you do;
1-fill about half of res with soapy water and some rice and shake,shake,..if that wont work
2-use Pinesol, about 1-2 tablespoons per liter of water..if that won't work
3-mix white vinegar/distiled water only for very short time
then rinsing thoroughly with distilled water.. never use tap water it leaves huge amounts of mineral deposits

lol I just looked at the previous thread and you suggested a res that had a removable front...I see why now. (bowing down) :lol:  Thank you as usual At home for another week so I will finish the gpus in the loop. Then back to the doctor to see if I will need surgery
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 22, 2010 5:03:41 AM

hope you get better,clean you thermochil ,good luck
November 22, 2010 7:05:00 AM

miwanuma said:
lol I just looked at the previous thread and you suggested a res that had a removable front...I see why now. (bowing down) :lol:  Thank you as usual At home for another week so I will finish the gpus in the loop. Then back to the doctor to see if I will need surgery

Hey why not water cool your entire board. ;)  It'll look cool that way. 8)
November 22, 2010 7:12:44 AM

Best answer selected by miwanuma.
November 24, 2010 8:50:10 AM

Hey guys my water cooling items arrive tomorrow, but as I read the waterblock instructions I realize I dont have mx3 thermal paste, I only have as5, and the thermal grease from koolance that came with my cpu360. Can I use what I have??
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 24, 2010 1:11:52 PM

You can use whatever paste you want, shouldn't be a problem as long as you do it right.
November 24, 2010 4:53:50 PM

rubix_1011 said:
You can use whatever paste you want, shouldn't be a problem as long as you do it right.

^thx rubix!! Will post pics when complete!!
November 25, 2010 3:29:31 AM

Just installed water blocks, however now my computer wont boot. I get the post beep but that's it no bios, it tries to load express gate but stops any thoughts
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 25, 2010 4:05:28 AM

any water spills ?,are the cards properly sited?,any beep codes ? ,try to clear CMOS
!