Sign in with
Your question

A couple of questions

Last response: in Overclocking
November 7, 2010 5:05:55 AM

Hey guys, I have a couple of questions for you. Firstly, for my rig (below), is 50C a good temperature at max load? Will it allow me to OC to at least 3.8GHz as desired? This is a result of running prime95 on large FFTS at stock settings (2.8GHz including turboboost, which I will probably turn off). EDIT-My idle temperature is 20C.

Secondly, CPU-Z reports my RAM timings at 9-9-9-24 while my RAM details here(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) say they should be 7-8-7-24. Do I need to change these in the BIOS before OC'ing?

Am I completely prepared to overclock? (My plan is to go to 3.3GHz, then to 3.8GHz, and after that possibly to 4.0GHz, so I can ensure system stability).

Complete System Specs:
CPU- Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I5750

MOBO- ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM

HDD- SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

GPU- [SLI] EVGA 768-P3-1362-TR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked 768MB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

PSU- CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

CASE- Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

HSF- Scythe SCMG-2100 Sleeve CPU Cooler

Thermal Paste- ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound

ODD- Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model AD-7260S-0B - OEM

EDIT- Sorry, one more question. I noticed that my pre-superclocked SLI GPUs heat things up quite a bit during gameplay. Will this significantly affect core temperatures?

More about : couple questions

a b K Overclocking
November 7, 2010 5:26:48 AM

Well 50*C is actually really good, well after all you did get the Mugen 2. Anyway yes, you'll reach 3.8 even 4.0ghz with the Mugen 2. You'll probably get to 4.0ghz and when you prime95 reach around high 60s to low 70s so you really just want to aim below 70. But yeah your ready to OC.

Your memory timings don't need to be changed to OC, but you should fix them as they affect your memory performance. Like during things like WinRar.

Well your SLI 460s will get hot as most Fermi cards in general get hot during SLI. The 460s don't get as hot as the 470s and 480s in SLI but they do still get hot, at least the top part will. However if by core you mean CPU, if you have good case airflow (which you should since you have the 300 Ill.) then you should be fine.
m
l
a c 241 K Overclocking
November 8, 2010 7:52:59 AM

GTX460 more enough for boil egg, replace New VGA cooler aftermarket like Prolimatech MK-13 VGA Cooler
m
l
Related resources
November 10, 2010 6:11:03 AM

50 degrees is actually quite in the comfort zone. The timings do seem a little wacked out... o-o When did you get them?? and it might just be a fault on cpu-z. I would just change them in bios and crank the OC up. The problem is the Graphics card though. How hot does that thing gets? lol if it cranks up to over 60 degress, it could warm up the core significantly if you dont have proper exhaust.

Use some type of Fan controller software, such as speed fan and crank up the exhaust and your Graphics card fans up by like another 10% on your Graphics and like 50% on your exhaust. after that, try the 3.4, and test it. if it is stable go up to 3.8 then. but be cautious. I wouldnt even try the 3.8 if the core temp is anywhere above 70 degrees on 3.4 though.
m
l
November 11, 2010 12:11:15 AM

@ Darkraven: I got the memory timings on the day I posted. Right now cpu-z still shows the wacked out timings under the memory tab, since I have not got a chance to change them yet; however, I will check in the bios sometime and post here before making any changes. My graphics card cooling seems pretty good. During Crysis (on all high settings rather than very high, since I have not OC'd yet, and am bottlenecking), I just noticed, with a quick feel, that the top of my PC gets a little bit hot. The front of the computer is actually very cool at all times, even during games. Is there any way to test my graphics cards temperatures before trying to change the fan settings? (It is safe to change them, right?)

Thanks everyone for the help! I am quite a bit more confident in my temperatures now, and will try to avoid going over 70C. Hopefully I will not end up having to get an aftermarket GPU cooler, but it is a great suggestion if temperatures get way too hot after OC'ing.

EDIT-Sorry, forgot to ask a question. Obviously, Prime95 stresses the processor more than any real world application, including the epic Crysis. But my question is, when running something like Crysis that utilizes the GPUs and CPU, can the GPUs possibly raise the temperature over the max temp from Prime95?
m
l
November 11, 2010 1:04:25 AM

prime 95 simulates situations like that. so it is pretty accurate. The top and back of the computer is where all the heat goes to exit. Quickly neweggs your CPU, Case and GPU and link the urls here. ill see whats goin on...

Edit. LOL nevermind on that url thing. ill do it nowz.
m
l
November 11, 2010 1:13:13 AM

Okay. the gtx models. ALL OF THEM RUN HOt. dont be worried about it at all. they are electricity hoggin, and heat making machines. but they own with performance. i had a few lol. everything should be okay. not really sure about the memory though. you should call g skill and ask about the timings though. they might rma you a new pair :D ...
But yeah. dont be worried at all. If your pc does reach around the low 70's it should be okay. just dont overstress it. I would get like a pci slot exhaust fan just to make sure its stable. something like this. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also. did you put in the extra fan on the side panel? if you didnt, i highly recommend it because you get fresh cool air directed towards your sli video cards and cool them right down.

definitly go for the max OC you can do though. I wouldnt test anything over 3.8 for extended times though. be careful man. :D  Good luck :p 
m
l
November 12, 2010 5:33:38 AM

The extra side fan was included with the case for some reason (1 side, 1 top, 2 front). Those pci slot exhaust fans look wonderful for the price, and convenient since my case is rather full inside. Thanks for the great find! I would love to buy two of those, if only for improved temperatures, since they are cheap.
EDIT- Sorry, misinformed you guys here. It has 4 fans, but rather than a side fan, it has a back fan.

Yes, I will probably be sticking to 3.8 since I tend to be cautious, but I suppose if max temperatures are really good at that point I could go up a little.

I will update you guys about all this stuff sometime during this weekend. I am ready and excited for my first OC!

EDIT- I just wanted to let you guys know that the 9-9-9-24 memory timings are really in the BIOS as well. I will change them before OC'ing to specification.
m
l
November 14, 2010 10:09:53 PM

-UPDATE-

I just wanted to say that my RAM timings adjusted from 9-9-9-24-1N to specification at 7-8-7-24-2N fine. As for overclocking, I got 3.4 GHz fine, and now I am running at 3.8GHz. My temperatures were very good after large FFTS for 2 hours 30 minutes: 59-62C (with spikes of 63 and 64). This is after adjusting the CPU voltage to the lowest stable at 1.25V, with load line calibration enabled (reported as 1.264V total in CPU-Z). My system also ran fine, but with a little higher temps, at the default 2.88V. This leaves me with only one question: since my temps are so good, should I go for 4.0GHz?

By the way, performance increase was great in Crysis!
m
l
November 15, 2010 12:59:21 AM

Lets see. 3.8 should be good enough. Can you OC your graphics card anymore? o-o lol if so try it
m
l
November 15, 2010 1:17:14 AM

I would be a bit afraid of doing that, since it already is pre-superclocked (not to say it is impossible, though).
m
l
November 15, 2010 4:11:10 AM

yeah true. does what you got cut it?
m
l
November 15, 2010 5:31:28 AM

Yeah, the graphics are pretty great, even on this old monitor. Everything should look spectacular on the new monitor I ordered (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...). It looks pretty sweet for gaming, and will certainly be better than this old 17"1280x1024 resolution. I think my results were pretty great from the Crysis CPU benchmark, on max settings:
Run 0: Min FPS-47.85 Avg. FPS-59.09 Max FPS: 85.29
Run 1: Min FPS-47.85 Avg. FPS-73.67 Max FPS: 88.69
Run 2: Min FPS-47.85 Avg. FPS-75.47 Max FPS: 103.64
Run 3: Min FPS-47.85 Avg. FPS-74.20 Max FPS: 103.64

These results seem pretty good to me. Obviously I could probably tweak my rig and Crysis settings to get higher fps, which I will of course attempt. I think I will wait a couple days, though, to see how everything runs at 1900x1200 on my new monitor. I would imagine 1900x1200 will give at least a slight fps decrease, but I can live with that, especially since the 2ms response time will cut down on ghosting.

As far as tweaking my OC settings, feel free to suggest anything. One question for you: is it safe to run my computer at 4.0GHz if I can keep it under 70C? Is it actually worth the time and extra voltage, too?

Thanks for all the help!

m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 15, 2010 9:12:03 AM

Your running 3.8, at that point 3.8-4.0 is really no difference unless your like a benchmark freak, I don't think it's worth the effort imo. But if you can actually keep it below 70 (I think it should be below 65-68ish) then it'd be worth the effort.
m
l
November 15, 2010 2:16:48 PM

No, I am not really a crazy benchmark guy. I just checked it out, and even on max settings on the crazy last level Crysis never goes below 40fps (avg. 60), which is excellent for this game! Before my OC, there was major bottlenecking, so this is a huge improvement. The only time I might turn down my graphics (to gamer spec), actually, is during online play, so I do not have any lag. Or I could also work on a custom config. I think the natural mod will look pretty good on my new monitor.

Anyway, I will try and see sometime if 4.0GHz will stay under 70C. If not, I am really not too concerned.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 15, 2010 9:22:34 PM

OK so yeah then 3.8 is good enough, I leave mine at 3.6 because I don't notice a difference but I get way lower temps since I don't even up the voltage above stock.
m
l
!