Lian-Li 140mm fans, who sells them?

aln688

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
Where can I buy a standard 1200 RPM Lian-Li 140mm fan? Not something with disco lights sprouting from it, just a standard, plain black 140mm fan. I need an extra one for my case.

Thanks.

aln688

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008

Not only have I had a bad experience with AVADirect, after inquiring they told me they don't have them in stock (despite the fact their web-site indicates otherwise). Thanks for the link.

aln688

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008

Different subject, just curious and had to ask, I notice you have a P6T Deluxe V2 like I do. How is your board operating, problem free? Also, when installing your GTX 295, did you notice a tendency for the card to dip at one side due to the weight? Thanks.

foolycooly

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
I love the V2 so far...the only issue I have with it is trouble coming out S3 sleep mode...but this is a known issue with a lot of x58 boards. I just turned my sleep mode off in windows since I like to keep messaging programs up 24/7 anyway.

The installation of the gtx295 did have me sweating profusely. I couldn't even get it in the PCIe slot to begin with. It didn't look like it was lining up correctly at all, but I eventually got it in. Then I had the issue you were describing where it was drooping because I couldn't get the tool-free clips on the cm690 to secure over the card bracket. However, with some force I was able to secure the clips and the card is rock solid...my suggestion to you if you're having this problem is either to use screws to secure it to the expansion slot or make sure w/e clips your case has are secured well.

aln688

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008

So the S3 issue is more common than I thought then. I don't really use S3 sleep mode in a desktop PC, other than my laptop as it takes so long to boot up. So hopefully that won't be a problem for me, unless Asus fixes it with a BIOS update and maybe by then I'll try it out.

It sounds like you had the same concerns about installing your graphics card I'm having. I have the ATI 4870 X2, this thing is literally two bricks stuck together end to end. In my Lian-Li A17B case, it's the only plug-in card where I can barely (I mean barely) get the two screws in to tighten it up at the back of the case. On my Lian-Li instead of screw-driver screws, it uses thumb screws to tighten up plug-in cards.

It sounds like your case is better than mine by having a card retention mechanism, my card is purely held in by the two thumb screws at the back of the case, the right side of my card dips down a few millimeters. I'm thinking of putting some tension on the PCIE 6-pin and 8-pin power cables for the card, and use those to sort of "pull" the card up slightly. I don't know what else to do in order to give it support.

I've tried looking for a third party heatsink for this card, nothing exists. I will admit I'm worried about the long term effects of this card dipping at one end, other than using the plug-in cables as support I'm not sure what else to do.

foolycooly

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
Yeah, this is one of my build pictures:

DSC00076.jpg

the blue clips are the ones I'm talking about. It looks to be sitting pretty level...i can't imagine the card (or your 4870x2) having much flex within its own dimension...maybe post a picture of what you have and see if we can come up with some suggestions?

aln688

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008

Wow, your card is straight from left to right! Alright, tomorrow morning I'll take a picture of the card installed, flash photographs need the levels balanced correctly and I don't have software installed to do that. Tomorrow morning I'll post a picture of my 4870 X2 installed. Thanks.

aln688

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008

Well I'd like Scythe 140mm fans except they are deceptive, yes they are 140mm fans but the hole spacing is 120mm. Yate Loon is sleeve bearing, something I wouldn't think would last long, which doesn't leave many other alternatives. I'm not interested in the "Aero Cool" models which from what I've saw so far all have disco lights.

In fact most 140mm fans are sleeve bearing, even the Scythe's, the only exception seems to be the Lian-Li's and some Xigmateks. From what I've saw, quality 140mm fans are not as easy to find as 120mm versions. I've even looked on Newark.com, a large electronics web-site, nothing there either except an EBM-Papst 140mm at $166 each!

daft

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
and then with those you get a jet engine in the computer. for that price, i would expect something a little less noisy than 70db

aln688

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008

True, but I like long-life components in my PC.

Pictures of that card coming up, and the reason it dips at one end...

aln688

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008

I finally have some pictures, converting from RAW takes a long time. It looks like the card is actually warped, I held a steel ruler on it and there's a gap on the right, you can see that in the pictures. I've also installed the card as well.

IMG_4331.jpg

IMG_4332.jpg

IMG_4333.jpg

IMG_4334.jpg

foolycooly

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
interesting...I agree that your card looks warped, however I don't see TOO much droop with it installed. Honestly, if the screws holding it to the expansion slot are nice a snug I don't think you have much to worry about. Then again, if you're uncomfortable, I'm fairly certain you will be able to RMA the card since it does appear to have a minor warp. However, you might find the same thing if you get a new one...could just be the way they are manufactured.

aln688

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
I never thought the entire card would be slightly bent like that, I hope the card works alright. I've had it for a couple of months as I've been busy on other projects and not had a chance to use it, but am doing so very soon, so to RMA would be out of the question. I think you're right, it's very likely a new card would be the same, I think a slight bend in the card is "normal" for these cards.

Maybe it looks worse than it is, I just don't like any droop on a piece of hardware like that. Putting the thumb screws in is difficult as the card backplate screw hole doesn't completely reach over the hole in the case, it's do-able but with difficulty. When I get my hard-drives setup I'll power on the system to see if it works fine or not.

I've been reading reports about this card running hot, I'm considering using front and rear Scythe "G" fans, they're slightly loud but the inside of my case will be cooler as a result. I've also got "F" fans but they don't seem to move a lot of air. The Lian-Li 140mm fans are for the side, but I can't seem to locate them.

foolycooly

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
yeah, the only kind of droop that would really concern me is where the actualy PCIe connection is made...like if the card was bending down perpendicular to the mobo...something less than a 90 degree angle in essence. To me, it looks like you might have a small bend within the card's length and the overall setup looks pretty square with the mobo.

daft

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
yeah, with the weight of those x2 cards, a slight bend is very common. though i would agree with foolycooly on the cheaper fans, for the price of the fan that you are thinking, and those fans, you could get about 30 of them and i doubt its to hard to replace a fan in any situation. but of course you get about 1/5 the airflow with the yate loon as well.