• Hard Drives
  • BIOS
  • CD-Rom
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
October 7, 2010 11:01:02 AM

Hi,

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-CR353.

Hard disk broken, replaced with new hdd.

Now saying "Operating system not found", tried changing BIOS to boot from cd but does nothing - doesnt even ask to boot from cd just keeps saying "Operating system not found". BIOS recognises the new HDD. Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Should I reset the BIOS?

Many thanks,

Dean

More about : vaio hdd operating system found

a c 102 G Storage
October 7, 2010 2:00:41 PM

You are correct in that the system seems to be trying to boot from the new HDD and it can't find the OS.

Have you installed or attempted to transfer your earlier installation to the new HDD? I assume you have a blank HDD at this point.

You should be able to press one of your function keys (likely F12) right as the boot/BIOS splash screen occurs to bring up a manual selection menu to allow you to select your optical drive as the boot device.

Once you select and boot from the Windows DVD or Sony Recovery disks, make sure you watch the screen for additional instructions, like the "Press Any Key to Continue". Serious.

Once there, you will be good to go. Good luck!
September 23, 2012 9:38:46 PM

I'm having a similar problem... VAIO SVS13A190S, put it a new SSD and fresh installed Windows 7 Pro, and I have to tap F11 to get it to load, otherwise it says "operating system not found". It's recognized in BIOS, and in device manager. Up to date firmware. I'm really not sure what to do. I reformatted and installed Ubuntu no problem. Installed Windows 7 again and same problem. Any ideas?
Related resources
November 3, 2012 2:34:51 AM

agagn said:
I'm having a similar problem... VAIO SVS13A190S, put it a new SSD and fresh installed Windows 7 Pro, and I have to tap F11 to get it to load, otherwise it says "operating system not found". It's recognized in BIOS, and in device manager. Up to date firmware. I'm really not sure what to do. I reformatted and installed Ubuntu no problem. Installed Windows 7 again and same problem. Any ideas?

I'm having the same problem with a Vaio SVS131190X and Windows 8. Did you guys find a solution?
December 19, 2012 1:52:51 AM

I had this problem yesterday on my vaio VPCS133GN. As soon as machine rebooted, while the Vaio logo was displayed, I hit F1 key and the booting became normal. But should backup the data without delay, since this may lead anywhere next.
!