Sign in with
Your question

CnQ Is Messing Things Up!

Last response: in Overclocking
November 7, 2010 11:06:06 AM

Hey everybody, Im new here. But not that new to technology. So let me start from the beginning. One day, im in the bios, i wanted my RAM to run at the speeds it was supposed to. When i leave, everything is fine, then i restart my computer for some mundane reason im sure. When it reboots, the monitor doesnt display anything, however the computer is running, if maybe a bit quite. So, im fairly familiar with tech, so i trouble shoot the problem. First i retried everything. Then i tried the computer on another monitor, still nothing displayed. So now i know its obviously the computer thats the problem. I crack it open, assuming it likely has something to do with the video card, and yes, it did it seemed. Knowing the thing that likely messed it up was the BIOS, i pressed the BIOS reset button on my motherboard. Now i can finally get it to display, but then i get a black boot screen having the option to reset the BIOS, and saying everything is wrong :lol:  . I try different options, seems like its freezing up, so i press power, and then back on. After that, everything works relatively normal like it should, login, then bam, desktop is there and beautiful. HOWEVER, when i try to get the OC back i wanted, i noticed that similar to CnQ, just a defective type, the multiplier is locked at 4x, so im stuck at 800 MHz. No going up in load, just sticking at 800 MHz, and its kinda slowing things down. Whenever i try to enter the BIOS now, same problem. I dont mind not being able to enter the BIOS, but i need to get this thing running at full speed. Please help! :bounce: 

More about : cnq messing things

November 7, 2010 11:40:12 AM

BTW, my CPU is a X4 955, and with a 4890.
m
l
a c 235 K Overclocking
November 7, 2010 12:20:18 PM

You need to completely Clear the CMOS settings, some M/Bs clearing button does'nt completely clear the CMOS, obviously what happened was a partial clearing and it did not clear completely, follow your manuals instructions, completely clear the CMOS and reset the settings.
m
l
Related resources
November 7, 2010 12:26:19 PM

4Ryan6 said:
You need to completely Clear the CMOS settings, some M/Bs clearing button does'nt completely clear the CMOS, obviously what happened was a partial clearing and it did not clear completely, follow your manuals instructions, completely clear the CMOS and reset the settings.

How do i completely clear the CMOS?
m
l
a c 235 K Overclocking
November 7, 2010 12:35:37 PM

If you don't have a manual, pull the power from the wall, remove the M/B CMOS battery for a few minutes, it's about the size of a nickle on the M/B itself, re-insert it just like it looked to you when you removed it, plug the power back in and boot up.

You'll have to reset all the settings you previously had set plus the Date and Time.
m
l
November 7, 2010 12:40:17 PM

4Ryan6 said:
If you don't have a manual, pull the power from the wall, remove the M/B CMOS battery for a few minutes, it's about the size of a nickle on the M/B itself, re-insert it just like it looked to you when you removed it, plug the power back in and boot up.

You'll have to reset all the settings you previously had set plus the Date and Time.

I know of this, but couldnt this just screw things up more? Would it definitely fix my problem?
m
l
a c 235 K Overclocking
November 7, 2010 1:01:18 PM

Ooops said:
I know of this, but couldnt this just screw things up more? Would it definitely fix my problem?

Ooops said:
Hey everybody, Im new here. But not that new to technology. So let me start from the beginning. One day, im in the bios, i wanted my RAM to run at the speeds it was supposed to. When i leave, everything is fine, then i restart my computer for some mundane reason im sure. When it reboots, the monitor doesnt display anything, however the computer is running, if maybe a bit quite. So, im fairly familiar with tech, so i trouble shoot the problem. First i retried everything. Then i tried the computer on another monitor, still nothing displayed. So now i know its obviously the computer thats the problem. I crack it open, assuming it likely has something to do with the video card, and yes, it did it seemed. Knowing the thing that likely messed it up was the BIOS, i pressed the BIOS reset button on my motherboard. Now i can finally get it to display, but then i get a black boot screen having the option to reset the BIOS, and saying everything is wrong :lol:  . I try different options, seems like its freezing up, so i press power, and then back on. After that, everything works relatively normal like it should, login, then bam, desktop is there and beautiful. HOWEVER, when i try to get the OC back i wanted, i noticed that similar to CnQ, just a defective type, the multiplier is locked at 4x, so im stuck at 800 MHz. No going up in load, just sticking at 800 MHz, and its kinda slowing things down. Whenever i try to enter the BIOS now, same problem. I dont mind not being able to enter the BIOS, but i need to get this thing running at full speed. Please help! :bounce: 

Apparently you are the one that caused this problem in the first place going into the BIOS and playing around with your RAM speeds, as you've already said. My suggestion will take you back to square one, you can select Load Optimized Defaults and set the Date and Time, and probably be back where you were before you started.

If you are not familiar with setting your BIOS, it's always a good idea to write down all the settings Before you change anything, just in case something like this very thing happens to you, and learn how to Clear your CMOS especially if you further intend on overclocking.

m
l
November 7, 2010 1:15:37 PM

4Ryan6 said:
Apparently you are the one that caused this problem in the first place going into the BIOS and playing around with your RAM speeds, as you've already said. My suggestion will take you back to square one, you can select Load Optimized Defaults and set the Date and Time, and probably be back where you were before you started.

If you are not familiar with setting your BIOS, it's always a good idea to write down all the settings Before you change anything, just in case something like this very thing happens to you, and learn how to Clear your CMOS especially if you further intend on overclocking.

So just pull the battery thing out, wait for like 15 minutes, put it back in, and then hit load optimized settings?
m
l
November 7, 2010 1:30:52 PM

Yes. Follow 4ryan6's advice and you should get back to the original optimized settings. Then you can make changes from there. Also, as he said, write down ALL your settings first so you have a handy record to backtrack with in case of problems.

Also, scour these forums for advice before overclocking so you can accurately diagnose your issues as they arise.

Quote:
I dont mind not being able to enter the BIOS, but i need to get this thing running at full speed. Please help

Not being able to enter bios should never be acceptable. If you can't get to bios, something is very wrong.
m
l
November 7, 2010 2:24:13 PM

Thanks, now CnQ works properly. Not locked at 800 Mhz. Might turn it off later, but dont want this madness again. Now...where did i put those thumb screws :lol: 
m
l
November 7, 2010 5:38:21 PM

Quote:
Now...where did i put those thumb screws :lol: 

Ha!
m
l
!