Problems playing internet radio in high quality

January 8, 2005 3:38:57 AM

I'm using WMP 9 on Pocket PC 2003.

When I'm streaming internet radio (http://www.dr.dk/netradio/p3-wmp.asx)to the device it keeps playing it in 20 kbps even when I'm opening a 64 kbps stream?

It there some sort of limitation in WMP 9?? or can someone else be happing?

January 8, 2005 7:25:16 AM

I also get 20 kbps at http://www.dr.dk/netradio/p3-wmp.asx but it streams on
my desktop computer at 64 kbps.
I tried at location mms://66.98.238.9 ( CBC Radio One Vancouver) at it
streams at 32 kbps on my pocket pc.
I can get 309 kbps for streaming video ( audio portion is 32 kbps) from one
of the selections available at web page
http://windowsmediamobile.theplatform.com/wifi.asp.

I can get a 1133 kbps stream, the audio portion is showing as 128 kbps.
That's from my local Intranet where I am broadcasting a t.v. show (for my
personal use) . The pocket pc I am using is a Toshiba e800.

You are getting 20 kbps probably because the server detects what version you
are running (I.E. version? or media player version I don't know which) and
downgrades to a lower kbps.

"TA via PocketPCJunkies.com" <forum@PocketPCJunkies.com> wrote in message
> I'm using WMP 9 on Pocket PC 2003.
>
> When I'm streaming internet radio (http://www.dr.dk/netradio/p3-wmp.asx)to
> the device it keeps playing it in 20 kbps even when I'm opening a 64 kbps
> stream?
>
> It there some sort of limitation in WMP 9?? or can someone else be
> happing?

January 8, 2005 3:04:34 PM

Probably the streaming end is 'detecting' that you've got under 64kbps
available network bandwidth. Usually this is done by the player
telling the server what network connection speed's available to it.

Of course you'd have to actually have a better than 64k connection to
see a 64k stream in the first place, and if you're syncing AvantGo or
surfing or collecting email/newsgroups, that'll eat into the available
bandwidth for the device.

If you check Tools->Settings->Network in WMP9 and choose connection
speed of LAN, do you get 64k streams then ? What happens if you set it
to ISDN (which is 64kbps top end I believe, though it might be
128kbps).

I'm thinking the server might be seeing you have 64k tops, and it
needs 64k just for the stream data (plus some more for network
overhead) so it would negotiate the next smallest bitrate which
appears to be 20kbps in your case.

HTH
Cheers - Neil

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 00:38:57 GMT, "TA via PocketPCJunkies.com"
<forum@PocketPCJunkies.com> wrote:

>I'm using WMP 9 on Pocket PC 2003.
>
>When I'm streaming internet radio (http://www.dr.dk/netradio/p3-wmp.asx)to the device it keeps playing it in 20 kbps even when I'm opening a 64 kbps stream?
>
>It there some sort of limitation in WMP 9?? or can someone else be happing?
January 8, 2005 5:01:44 PM

Thanks for the suggestion - I have tried setting the Connection speed to LAN without any difference.

I'm connected via WLan at 512Kb.

Could you please try the link http://www.dr.dk/netradio/p3-wmp.asx and see if you get the same result?

January 8, 2005 8:09:23 PM

Does it play at 20 using other players too?

"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
| Probably the streaming end is 'detecting' that you've got under
64kbps
| available network bandwidth. Usually this is done by the player
| telling the server what network connection speed's available to it.
|
| Of course you'd have to actually have a better than 64k connection to
| see a 64k stream in the first place, and if you're syncing AvantGo or
| surfing or collecting email/newsgroups, that'll eat into the
available
| bandwidth for the device.
|
| If you check Tools->Settings->Network in WMP9 and choose connection
| speed of LAN, do you get 64k streams then ? What happens if you set
it
| to ISDN (which is 64kbps top end I believe, though it might be
| 128kbps).
|
| I'm thinking the server might be seeing you have 64k tops, and it
| needs 64k just for the stream data (plus some more for network
| overhead) so it would negotiate the next smallest bitrate which
| appears to be 20kbps in your case.
|
| HTH
| Cheers - Neil
|
| On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 00:38:57 GMT, "TA via PocketPCJunkies.com"
| <forum@PocketPCJunkies.com> wrote:
|
| >I'm using WMP 9 on Pocket PC 2003.
| >
| >When I'm streaming internet radio
(http://www.dr.dk/netradio/p3-wmp.asx)to the device it keeps playing it
in 20 kbps even when I'm opening a 64 kbps stream?

| >It there some sort of limitation in WMP 9?? or can someone else be
happing?

Anonymous
January 8, 2005 8:30:00 PM

Yep, agreed - 20kbps on WM9/PPC and 64kbps on WM7/9/10 on Win2000 and
XP. I had a look at the packet sniff from my PC, seems to negotiate a
link bandwidth of 1.4mbps here (on a 1mbps DSL), but obviously it's
more tricky to packet sniff the PPC's packets.

Not sure what we can do here - I got a line in the ASX of
e02ch03m?wmcontentbitrate=300000 filename, but entering that directly
into WMP on PPC you get an invalid content error.

My thoughts are they're detecting what they think is the client, and
deciding what bitrate it can support. Maybe this would be OK for
dialup on a smartphone GSM, but it's not appropriate for somebody at
home wanting to roam with a wifi radio.

Really can't think of anything you can do about this other than
contact the provider and ask them to remove the content negotiation
which seems to be specific for Pocket PCs. Nobody else seems to do
this ;-)

Cheers - Neil

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 14:01:44 GMT, "TA via PocketPCJunkies.com"
<forum@PocketPCJunkies.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the suggestion - I have tried setting the Connection speed to LAN without any difference.
>
>I'm connected via WLan at 512Kb.
>
>Could you please try the link http://www.dr.dk/netradio/p3-wmp.asx and see if you get the same result?
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 8:30:58 PM

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 04:25:16 -0800, "Gary Mount"
<gary_mount@hotmail.com> wrote:

>You are getting 20 kbps probably because the server detects what version you
>are running (I.E. version? or media player version I don't know which) and
>downgrades to a lower kbps.

Entering the asx URL into WMP9/PPC gives the same results, so it'll be
content negotiation with the player and server, rather than PIE and
the web server.

Cheers - Neil
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 5:56:48 PM

Well, no, it won't play at all cause it's windows media ;-)

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 17:09:23 -0000, "alan smith"
<alan@REMOVEmral.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>Does it play at 20 using other players too?
>

>"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
>| Probably the streaming end is 'detecting' that you've got under
>64kbps
>| available network bandwidth. Usually this is done by the player
>| telling the server what network connection speed's available to it.
>|
>| Of course you'd have to actually have a better than 64k connection to
>| see a 64k stream in the first place, and if you're syncing AvantGo or
>| surfing or collecting email/newsgroups, that'll eat into the
>available
>| bandwidth for the device.
>|
>| If you check Tools->Settings->Network in WMP9 and choose connection
>| speed of LAN, do you get 64k streams then ? What happens if you set
>it
>| to ISDN (which is 64kbps top end I believe, though it might be
>| 128kbps).
>|
>| I'm thinking the server might be seeing you have 64k tops, and it
>| needs 64k just for the stream data (plus some more for network
>| overhead) so it would negotiate the next smallest bitrate which
>| appears to be 20kbps in your case.
>|
>| HTH
>| Cheers - Neil
>|
>| On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 00:38:57 GMT, "TA via PocketPCJunkies.com"
>| <forum@PocketPCJunkies.com> wrote:
>|
>| >I'm using WMP 9 on Pocket PC 2003.
>| >
>| >When I'm streaming internet radio
>(http://www.dr.dk/netradio/p3-wmp.asx)to the device it keeps playing it
>in 20 kbps even when I'm opening a 64 kbps stream?
>| >
>| >It there some sort of limitation in WMP 9?? or can someone else be
>happing?

Anonymous
January 10, 2005 1:49:12 AM

Thanks Neil - I'll try to contact the provider and see if they can help.

Regards,
Torben