Overclocking principles?

tbear87

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
So I'v been thinking about overclocking lately, just the theory. I understand how computers work so feel free to use technical terms. I've never really been into overclocking as I've been always more content with the piece of mind you get knowing your system is running stock. Lately however I've seemed to have acquired an interest in the matter. I'm more interested in overclocking in regards to AMD's phenom ii X4 lineup. I hear terms like core voltage and multiplier? From what i can gather it seems like when you overclock the cpu, it also effects other components of the system as well. For all you overclocking veterans here's your chance to shine! What are the basic workings behind a cpu overclock?

Just a nickname

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
There's ton of guide on the internet telling you exactly what is overclocking.
Main idea is to increase the CPU clock which increase its speed.
To increase the clock you often need to adjust the voltage because its like the juice of the CPU, the transistors get unstable when trying to run a higher frequency than what they are suppose to do.
The temperature also affect the operating speed of transistors which is why so many overclockers spend hundred dollars just for a cooling system.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
There is a clock somewhere in the system that controls the cpu speed, and the multiplier in the cpu combines with the basic clock to determine exactly how fast the cpu runs. Depending on which cpu you are talking about, there are other aspects of the system such as the memory speed that are also affected by the clock speed. There are certain procedures for overclocking depending on what cpu you have, and to further complicate matters different motherboard manufacturers have slightly different nomenclature. Before you attempt an overclock you need to get a couple of guides for your specific cpu and read up on it. You can also search the net and probably find stories from other people about how they overclocked their version of that same cpu.