Burning died on Win7-64. Symptoms described

jonathan7007_95

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hello All,
Running Win7-64 Home Premium, lots of RAM, good processor, mobo. Two DVD writers: a Sony Optiarc AD7241S and Toshiba TSST S223L. I believe I broke something in the OS, not the DVD writers.

I was going to burn some folders under Windows alone. I chose to format for computer play as a CD/DVD disc. Then I made a mistake: after dragging one folder to the optical drive (a CD-R was mounted) I dragged another while the drive showed a dialog saying it had started formatting. That stopped the format cold and a dialog said "Windows was unable to complete the format".

I have tried uninstalling both drives in Device Manager and they re-appear upon restart. Same problem occurs. I have tried reading optical media I burned a few years ago on DVD and they do that OK. I downloaded ImageBurn because I had not put that on this machine yet and it could not see the blank media either.

Since that hiccup (or hurl) neither drive will format or (sometimes) recognize blank media. One interesting symptom: For burning I am only offered the choice to burn as a USB-like storage medium, not the CD option, and that format will not work either. If I drag files to the drive icon results in the that dialog box: "Windows was unable to complete the format". So sometimes it DOES try with blank discs.

BTW, I am ending up with a lot of coasters here.

Any suggestions appreciated. I haven't run a Repair" routine from the Win DVD yet but wonder if that is necessary.

jonathan7007

jonathan7007_95

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I looked in my system log and there are 5 straight cdrom paging errors noted at the time I was (probably) trying to format that first CD-R and interrupted it with another folder. Actually, these were listed as "Warnings" not Errors.

I was hoping for something more definitive.

jonathan7007k