Sign in with
Your question

P5Q Cold Boot Problem

Last response: in Motherboards
August 31, 2009 12:39:18 PM

Hi,

I have been having a strange issue for quite some time now and tried different solutions, I can't tell you for how long exactly it now persisted, but read yourself::

My problem:

In the evening I shut down my pc through windows start menu - I DO NOT PULL the power cable off or anything like that.

The next morning I get "no video signal" out of the graphics card for my monitor. The pc boots completely normal I can here it reaching the log in screen. At that point I restart or reset my pc and it suddenly starts completely normal with video signal and everything. It runs absolute stable (no bsods whatsoever) I can play for hours, I can restart it as often I want... until I leave it shut down over night.

I tried two different graphics boards

1. NVIDIA ASUS GTX260 --> it gives out a video signal even at cold boot in the morning, but is only recognized as "standard vga adapter" till the daily morning reset. After that it runs just fine! (Fan always turns, I can always have at least a low resolution vga signal)

2 Radeon 4850 from Sapphire --> it doesn't give out a signal at all till you morning reset the rig. (Fan always turns; at morning start screen stays completely black)

I don't have the slightest idea which part of the machine is to blame

Monitor?
Graphics cards?
Mainboard?
PSU?
RAM?
Bios?
Drivers?
---

I will try out a new set of RAM soon, but since I can only try one change a day its pretty annoying... so maybe you could help me out with some ideas!

My Specs, none of these are or have ever been overclocked!

Asus P5Q Motherboard
X-Fi Soundcard
Nvidia GTX 260 or Radeon 4850
4 GB Corsair Ram (2 x 2GB)
Intel E6600 (Dual Core 2x 2,6 GHz)
Enermax Liberty 600W PSU

thank you!

More about : p5q cold boot problem

a c 156 V Motherboard
August 31, 2009 3:20:14 PM

Probably the PSU. In the morning, before you try to turn on the machine, pull the AC power cord out for 10 seconds. Plug it in. If the machine starts normally, you have a flaky PSU.

Flaky is good in a pie crust :)  , not so good elsewhere. :( 
a b V Motherboard
August 31, 2009 10:33:51 PM

Posted this on other threads as well.
My Asus P5P800 did this. Raising the Vcore drastically reduced the occurances (irrelevant of CPU overclock or not). Buying a new motherboard totally removed the problem all together (same CPU, same PSU), even when the chip was undervolted.

I'm no genius though, so try the PSU trick first, I'm just passing on what I've found with my old setup.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 1, 2009 7:31:44 AM

I used to have a similar problem.

I have a Samsung 26 inch and when I boot, I see my system automatically switching between the different input signals to detect the active one I guess.

Whenever cold booting, it kept on switching without detecting and selecting the correct input signal.

It might sound strange, but since I made sure the cable from my screen to my gpu and the powercable from my screen are as good as possible attached, I don't have that problem anymore.

The exact explanation why this seems to solve the problem is beyond my understanding, but you could try it,

good luck
September 1, 2009 9:21:30 AM

thank you for your suggestions so far, but yesterday evening the same thing happened on a complete different (my old) system, which uses the same monitor.

So I think we have found the culprit - the reason why I didn't suspect this earlier is that the other computer has never had this issue before... mainly because it is used by my family after I leave my pc, when the monitor is already warmed up. But yesterday nobody used the monitor for about three hours after me... at least I think so after this mornings events:

So today (morning) I first turned on the monitor and waited while no pc was on... at first the power button just blinked for a while and after 1 min or so the screen startet flickering and the signal search (analog/digital) startet coming up, the flickering decreased until the picture was normal.

So I startet my vista rig and... black screen, but I heard vista logo sound etc.

SO this time I tried every button on the monitor, the signal selection... nothing helped then I pulled the monitor cable off the graphics card and put it on again, suddenly I had a picture!

This has to be the monitor right? Since the mainboard must have fully detected the graphics card to let this happen...

I will try leaving it in standby through this night, I think the monitor doesn't work properly when its still cold. Its a Samsung Syncmaster 226BW. If this aint the problem I will try your suggestions.
September 1, 2009 9:55:35 AM

Well, your problem seem to be exactly the same as the one I used to have. It booted, but the monitor didn't turn on. I also have a Samsung and my card is a 4850x2.

When I then reinserted the cable in my graphics card, the monitor suddenly turned on.I think it has something to do with the graphics card, it's driver and the monitor. Maybe some sort of "wake-up signal" the card/driver sends to the monitor is to weak or not fully ok.

I used to use Vista 64 bit, but it's slowness, this problem and a few others made me go back to good old XP 32.
September 1, 2009 10:08:18 AM

This forum never letts me edit my posts so...

edit: the driver nor the OS can be the problem since the monitor should turn on before those are loaded. As I remember I did update my bios, but that didn't solve it. I think I got rid of it by making sure the power and graphics cables where inserted as good as possible.
a b V Motherboard
September 1, 2009 10:20:09 AM

manually set EVERYTHING in the bios, give ram 1.9v and set the speed to 1:1 or lowest speed for ram posible and see what effect that has
September 1, 2009 12:01:09 PM

Ok I have now made sure the cables are connected as good as possible.

Additionally I will try to leave the monitor in standby mode 10 min before I turn on the pc next time, we will see if that changes anything.

I don't think Vista 64 bit is to blame, since it happened on the old xp32 bit machine too yesterday evening.

I think I can narrow it down to two possibilities:

1. Some sort Radeon/Samsung "incompatibility" (the old pc got an radeon agp card, the new got a radeon PCI-E)

2. The monitor needs some time to warm up, the flickering today would suggest that something needs to warm up, therefore expand and make contact with something else.

ty
---

btw. the Geforce cold boot problem (starts as vga adapter) seems to be some kind of driver bug or vista64/GTX260 prob, I don't think its related to this. I dunno. There are more threads on this topic (vista64/260) strewn across the net - I'm not alone with this prob.

ps: I had already given the ram the correct settings and 1.9V, that didn't change anything. It works exactly at the
MHz/Voltage/etc. as Corsair suggest on their site. But I will try tomorrow.
September 3, 2009 8:33:02 AM

UPDATE:

OK, the faulty component seems to be the monitor - giving it a little warmup time helped - I also found a thread on the net where at least 10 other people are havng the same problems with Samsung Syncmaster 226BW Displays. It seems these PSUs got a very limited life-span. One got his/hers repaired by samsung, this problem seems related to the internal PSU of the display.

Thanks for your help, I will post when I was able to fix it.
September 19, 2009 9:51:35 AM

As promised here the last post from my side.

The solution was indeed to call Samsung support and get the monitor repaired, I dunno what they did exactly, but everything works fine now.

Thx for all of your help, cu
September 19, 2009 4:10:42 PM

thx,

now if the problem ever comes back on my monitor I'll give them a ring-a-ding too.
!