Cooling for GTX 470 SLI

SHNS0

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
So, my rig is almost complete. My only concern now is about the graphics cards. At first, I was going to go for a 460 1gb sli, but my budget got a bit higher so I moved to a 470 sli. The only problem now is cooling. I read everywhere that 470 run hot as hell, 90+ C° even when non-OCd. My case has a lot of air cooling (NZXT Phantom with all of the fans except lateral mounted), but I don't know if this is enough. I read about people that changed thermal paste and applied Arctic Silver, but I also read about others that were so stressed out to go liquid.
Actually, I'm quite interested in LC, but it's a very complex and EXPENSIVE topic that needs lots of experience and money so I'm really not sure.
What can you recommend?

SHNS0

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
It depends. If it's about air cooling, I woudn't give more than 100€ for everything, and it must be a very, very effective solution. Otherwise, I can spend even more but I must wait 'till I've saved enough.

SHNS0

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
I'm also open to liquid cooling, but I already know that it will cost me a lot more even if I buy used pieces and that means I wouldn't get everything working before Christmas.

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
save some money and go LC -Black Friday is just around the corner ,look in to universal blocks like MCV80,XSPC RX240 RAD or similar and swiftech pump;
http://www.swiftnets.com/

SHNS0

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
I'm in Germany lol. I buy off the net using geizhals.at/deutschland, prices are REALLY low (normally a 20-30% less than shops), and for used pieces I look on ebay.
Let's say I buy everything new, how much would it cost me a "budget" yet good quality LC system for 2 gpus? And what if I add the cpu (i7)?

SHNS0

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
So, I found these EK-FC470 GPU blocks, they sell at 70€ each. There are also backplates for sale, are they needed?
For the CPU block, I found an EK Supreme LT acetal, is this a good one or should I go for another one?

SHNS0

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
I also need a bit of advise for rad, reservoir and pump. For example, will a 360 rad be enough for this or should I go with a 480?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Are you only WC your GPUs or is the CPU included in this loop; I assume full CPU/SLI?

And it depends which 360/480 rad you are considering, most likely for a full WC loop, you will need more a 480 or more in size. Likely 2 rads.

MCP655 is a very strong pump, it's what I use, and most with a bigger loop...or you can run dual loops with smaller pumps, like the MCP355's. I'd suggest doing a TON of reading, including the stickies at the top of the Overclocking forum here at Tom's and here:http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/226970-water-cooling-essential-threads.html

SHNS0

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
Yes it's for a full CPU/SLI. Unfortunately I've got very few time to assimilate all of the information (hell I've almost got no time for gaming these days, let alone learning about wc! lol).
I could also go with a 240+480 rad setup. What do you think?
ATM I'm watching on eBay a Black Ice 480 GT Xtreme which is selling for quite cheap.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

240+480 should be plenty and the type of Radiator?, it all depends .. biggest concern is noise factor/heat dissipation ,my favorite would be ThermoChill PA/TA series or XSPC RX Series Radiators, i'm sure, after reading the links provided above you get the idea. LC is nice hobby to have and pretty straightforward IF you willing to do some research and learn the basics,so before you start blowing you money i would advise you to start with sticky's , water cooling forums,trust me you won't regret.

I don't see the problem nor any need for liquid cooling. Started Thursday nite, finished Friday...played w/ OC's Saturday and Sunday.

Built an SLI rig for my son's buddy over this past weekend. Used twin EVGA superclocked GTX 470s (700 core clock) w/ an Asus R3E, CAS 6 DDR3-1600 Mushkins in an Antec DF-85 w/ CP-850 PSU. Under OCCT stress test could not top 82C. The i7-950 was OC'd and several different BIOS profiles were saves using the Asus OC Profile Tool. Note: All case fans were at their lowest of the three speed settings.

With a "24/7 OC" Profile of 3.82 GHz (68C under Prime 95) using Prolimatech Megahalems, Shin Etsu TIM and 1300 rpm quiet fans, system was whisper quiet.

Note: All case fans were at their lowest setting.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Watercooling would get you in the 50C range for a CPU at load, and likely mid-high 40's C for GPUs. Reducing the amount of heat, reduces the amount of voltage required to sustain an overclock, while also extending the life of components...both those watercooled, and others in the case that would 'soak' heat in from hot GPUs running @80C+ (x2 for SLI/crossfire).

You are right, it 'isn't necessary'. It also isn't necessary to own/drive a Corvette Z06 to work when a Ford Fiesta will get you there just fine.

Everything is preference...and some prefer a different solution to the same problem.

SHNS0

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
True. I was anyway very interested in liquid cooling, As soon as I saw that I could afford a pair of 470s and a decent LC system, I didn't even think twice about asking and learning.
Anyway, both you guys here and the guys on another forum helped me a lot, I'm now searching for good tubes.