Sign in with
Your question

Partition issues

Last response: in Storage
October 8, 2010 3:16:58 AM

This one is beginning to stump me. I have a 500GB Segate hard drive. It was giving me a boot loop restarting just as you would start to see the XP logo. While eliminating hardware problems, I reset the BIOS to fail safe defaults. This caused my system to hang right after the pci device listing. I then began to scan the drive and found multiple bad sectors. I repaired them and still no luck. I put the drive in my desktop computer and recovered all files from the drive and then created (sucessfully) an image of the drive. Then I tried to format the drive to reinstall windows XP and it is only reading 132 GB instead of the 500 it should be. All partition programs I use from the Ultimate Boot CD and RIP linux show an NTFS partition 465.76 GB in size however windows XP cd is only seeing 132. Why???

I still think the drive might be going bad and plan to replace it but why is all non-windows based programs reading one thing and windows is reading another?

More about : partition issues

a c 93 G Storage
October 8, 2010 4:36:32 AM

the drive is not going bad it already is bad. sounds like a nice paperweight.
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
October 8, 2010 4:27:52 PM

The original version of XP did not support drives larger than 137GB. You need to find an install disk for XP with Service Pack 1 or later or create your own as suggested by ElenaP.
m
l
October 8, 2010 7:48:31 PM

sminlal said:
The original version of XP did not support drives larger than 137GB. You need to find an install disk for XP with Service Pack 1 or later or create your own as suggested by ElenaP.

Interesting. I did not know this. I have set up the original XP in Raid 0 with 2 160GB drives no problem. I will try vista or 7 when I get home. I was just going with XP because that is what was on there. Still, I think the drive might be shot.
m
l
!