Sign in with
Your question

Are older SSD's still a good choice for the right price?

Last response: in Storage
October 8, 2010 4:15:27 AM

I was looking at buying an SSD, but the 128GB versions are too expensive for me right now. I was thinking about getting a 64GB for ~$135 on Newegg. Then I saw my local store had a deal on Patriot Torqx M28 64GB drives for $75 AR. I know this is an older SSD, but it has decent speeds at 220MB/s and 140MB/s. It has TRIM support thanks to a firmware update. Do you think that this is a good option to save $60? I'm a little suspicious since it's so cheap.

64GB SSD TORQX M28 PATRIOT PTX64GS25SSDR
a b G Storage
October 9, 2010 4:04:53 AM

This drive uses the Samsung controller. I don't know anything about this particular ssd or the Samsung. All I know is that I've never heard anybody rave about it.

"Older" ssds are dropping in price all over. Crucial's indilinx 64Gb model is on sale tomorrow for $70. I would take this over the Samsung. However, Intel's G2s are still good and anything with a Sandforce 1200 is currently top of the heap.

It's interesting watch the SSD market change from day to day. If you haven't jumped in yet I would say, "Go for it". Worst case is you spend $75 (4 cases of beer where I am) and you get something you're not over the moon about. By next summer things will have been turned on their ear again anyway.

IMHO ssd drives will soon outpace our computer's ability to use the information. The bottleneck will move elsewhere. I'm happy with anything that will read and write at more than 100MB/s and provides plenty of iops (50k is nice) for boot up, etc. My gigabit network will not exceed this limit anyway.
m
l
Related resources
October 9, 2010 5:41:45 AM

Thank you very much for the input. I think you're right that it won't be a huge loss if it's only an alright SSD instead of a great SSD. It'll still beat my 7200.10. Where is the Crucial on sale for $70? The only big problem for me with the Patriot is that it has a $125 rebate associated with it. That's lot to risk if it doesn't pull through.
m
l
a b G Storage
October 14, 2010 2:19:33 AM

I've had good luck with rebates. Only failed when I was 'late' (or they were slow opening the envelope).

The crucial was on sale at NCIX in Canada. (My favourite store). Although there is some tough competition, here, in Canada.

Keep an eye out. Know what you're interested in, and pull the trigger when something pops up. As you say, an ok SSD is a whole lot better than ANY spinner. Of course, upgrading a velociraptor may have a smaller difference.
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
October 14, 2010 2:59:38 AM

I think I would skip on the M28, back of my mind it did not get very good reviews (as most early samsung controllers). I have the Torqx 128 gig ( indilinx ) in a laptop - works great. Also recieved my rebate.

Also stay away from the Kingston V series V is for value, NOT performance, infact it is not much faster than a HDD. I'd probably skip on the WD blue also (Bought one - it's so-so and am using it in my older Laptop). Don't buy a Dane-elec, which advertizies an Intel 80 gig - it's the G1 model and does not support trim (also have).

When you find one, and before buying, google a review on it - Skip sequencial read/write performance (Mostly what is advertized) and look at the Random 4K read/write performance.
m
l
!