Sign in with
Your question

Driver Error?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 10, 2009 10:46:57 AM

Hi, I recently ran into an odd problem.

I turned on my pc earlier today, and about 20 minutes later the screen locked up. There was a strange "checkerboard" pattern on the screen that consisted of horizontal boxes filled with what looked to be miniature versions of what was on my desktop. I had no idea what it was so I turned the power off and rebooted. After rebooting it seemed to work ok for a while, but did it again about an hour later.

Normally I would just google a solution, but I have no idea what is causing the problem. It happens at random times and I wasn't gaming or watching any videos. I checked for dust on the cpu and for overheating problems and I can't seem to find anything.

I just reinstalled my video card drivers and I'm hoping that this is the solution. If it's not, does anyone have any idea of what it could be?

More about : driver error

April 10, 2009 1:16:32 PM

Is the video card fan spinning? Do you have a program to monitor the gpu temp on the video card? Sounds like it could be a gpu overheat.
a b U Graphics card
April 10, 2009 1:31:21 PM

Is it an ATI card?
If so, just scroll the mouse wheel and it will go back to normal.
Related resources
a c 130 U Graphics card
April 10, 2009 1:42:51 PM

evongugg said:
Is it an ATI card?
If so, just scroll the mouse wheel and it will go back to normal.

Oh come on you have to elabourate on that.... Whats going on exactly ?

Mactronix
April 10, 2009 2:06:47 PM

I have a similar problem. I just bought a GeForce 9500GT. When I played GTA4, the graphics are corrupted and ends up with a BSOD but it was not always. Sometimes I can play it for about 10 minutes then it happens again. In GTA San Andreas, It lags and sometimes graphics are also distorted and sometimes results in a BSOD. I have the latest nVidia Drivers installed. I was bothered so I went back to the vendor to ask for a replacement but the graphics was still distorted. My PC is not overclocked and I have not tried overclocking it yet eversince.

What could possibly be the problem? I was thinking that my power supply isnt supplying enough amperes to my video card. Though my 9400GT and 8400GS works with this machine without distorting the graphics.

Anyway, Before I experience this, My processor is a Pentium Dual Core E5200 paired with my 9400GT. There seems to be no problem. I was using the same board, Hdd, etc. I replaced my processor to a Core 2 Duo and my video card to a 9500GT then the problem existed. I tried reformatting the PC, still the same problem. I tried to re-seat the processor and the video card, still the problem exists. Pls. Help me.. I don't know what to do...

My Specs are:

Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 x86
Intel Core 2 Duo E7400
Inno3D GeForce 9500GT 1GB (It was Palit but It was replaced to Inno3d by the warranty)
ECS G31T-M7
2GB + 1GB Kingston DDR2 800mhz
Samsung 160GB 7200rpm SATA HDD
LG H55L DVDRW Dual Layer w/Lightscribe
Jimcron Internal All-in-One Card reader
slightly old DELL XPS ATX Case (Recycled CPU case from my old Pentium4 PC)
ACROSS KY-500ATX Power Supply 500w with 14a on +12v rail (my crappy PS, very weak I think!)

This is the specs of my other PCs(my working PC with no problem)

Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 x86
Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 (from the PC above)
Palit Geforce 9400GT 512mb
ASUS P5NSLi (Sli capable but slow 667 memory frequency!)
2GB + 1GB Corsair DDR2 667mhz (Due to the limitation of the board)
Samsung 160GB 7200rpm SATA HDD
Samsung DVDRom/CDRW Combo
ACROSS KY-500ATX Power Supply 500w with 14a on +12v rail (Same power supply with the PC above)

Windows 7 Ultimate build6956 x86
Intel Pentium 4 (LGA775) 631 3.0ghz w/HT
Palit Geforce 8400GS 256mb
ECS 662/1066T-M2
2GB Generic DDR2 667mhz
Hitachi 80GB 7200rpm
Lite-On DVDRW
Generic 500w Power Supply (Came with the casinng)
a b U Graphics card
April 10, 2009 2:59:24 PM

Mactronix,
it's a zooming effect. With the mouse wheel the desktop goes from small windows to full size. Not 100% sure which software causes it.
a c 130 U Graphics card
April 10, 2009 3:11:40 PM

Thanks evongugg

Mactronix
April 10, 2009 7:18:31 PM

DiscoDuck said:
Is the video card fan spinning? Do you have a program to monitor the gpu temp on the video card? Sounds like it could be a gpu overheat.

It's an onboard card. The thing is I'm not doing anything that could possibly cause it to overheat when it happens.

I reinstalled the drivers and that didn't fix it, but there's nothing hot inside the pc. I'm going to be putting a 3650 in it very soon and hopefully that will fix it, but if it's not a video card problem then I will still have the issue.
a b U Graphics card
April 13, 2009 11:45:53 AM

You probably have a Microsoft mouse with Intellimouse drivers installed.
When you press the wheel on the mouse it zooms out. When you press it again it goes back to normal.
It's called Instant viewer by microsoft.
!