Sign in with
Your question

Random crashes and confusing memtest results

Tags:
  • Memory
Last response: in Memory
September 1, 2009 2:12:59 AM

Hi everyone,

I've been having a very frustrating problem the past 4 days where my pc will randomly restart while i'm playing game, browsing the net, clicking on the my documents folder, simply moving the mouse cursor or when trying to copy files from one folder to another.

Also, my web browsers (chrome and firefox) continuously crash with a number of errors associated with them.

I was going to reformat the pc but instead tested using memtest which lead me to the following...

I immediately thought the memory was dying so I ran a memtest straight after a random restart and it found over 75 errors, i restarted and ran the test again and this time it found none. So i removed one ram module and tested one on its own, again no error. I tested the other one i removed on its own with no error.

I chose to test memory sizing>bios->all and it found over 100 errors which I don't know if it means the memory is bad or my actual mother board.

Now i'm stuck and don't know if it's the memory or the motherboard or my HD :( 
I'm running 2x2gb Corsair Dominator 1066mhz pc2 8500 ddr2 sticks. I had to replace these once before.
My mother board is a Gigabyte GA X48 DS5.
CPU is intel CORE2 E8500 3.6/6m/1333

If anyone has any insight or suggestions please help me! :p 
I don't know if my setting in bios do anything, but when I run memtest the CAS is showing as 5-7-7-24, which is what i've been running the ram at for nerly a year with no real problems. On e the chips themselves it has 5-5-5-15 on it so I'm not entirely sure what's going on there...

More about : random crashes confusing memtest results

September 1, 2009 4:51:43 AM

You may need to add a little voltage to them. If your at default voltage for the MoBo 1.8v might not be enough as they're rated to run at 2.1v But you say they ran OK for a year, so you may only need 2.0v
m
l
September 1, 2009 11:21:59 AM

unclefester said:
You may need to add a little voltage to them. If your at default voltage for the MoBo 1.8v might not be enough as they're rated to run at 2.1v But you say they ran OK for a year, so you may only need 2.0v

Thanks Fester, but where abouts in the bios do i do it?
I haven't really messed with volts and things in a long long time :( 

thanks
m
l
Related resources
September 2, 2009 4:27:02 AM

Go to the MB Intelligent Tweaker (MIT) tab in the BIOS. Scroll towards the bottom and you will see ****System Voltage Optimized**** on the next line is System Voltage Control>set this to manual and it should then have DDR2 OverVoltage Control right under it. Where it has (Normal) type in 2.0 (be careful to make sure you put the period in there) Hit the F10 button at the top of the keyboard to save changes and you should be good to go.
m
l
September 2, 2009 5:04:40 AM

unclefester said:
Go to the MB Intelligent Tweaker (MIT) tab in the BIOS. Scroll towards the bottom and you will see ****System Voltage Optimized**** on the next line is System Voltage Control>set this to manual and it should then have DDR2 OverVoltage Control right under it. Where it has (Normal) type in 2.0 (be careful to make sure you put the period in there) Hit the F10 button at the top of the keyboard to save changes and you should be good to go.

should I leave the CAS to what is written on the ram sticks or what the bios sets it to?
m
l
September 2, 2009 6:06:17 AM

It's not critical and you probably won't notice a difference, but you should be able to get to the rated settings of 5-5-5-15. At worst you would have to reset the CMOS and restore the voltage to 2.0v again.
m
l
!