What motherboard/memory for X3 720 BE

elpaletero

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Forgive me if these seem like stupid questions but I'm a newb at this.

I've finally decided to upgrade from my old 2.8 P4. I will be ordering a processor, motherboard, ram and harddrive and in a couple more months maybe a radeon 4870 within the next couple of days. Well, I already ordered the processor.

As noted above, I've decided to go with the X3 720 BE. As far as Motherboard and ram go, I'm a bit stumped. Should I go with a combo like this and take advantage of the DDR3 ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.234597

Or, Should I save money and go with this AM2 chipset and DDR2 ram and save some money http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.237079

Basically, is the DDR3 worth the premium?

Oh yeah, this will be used for media, photoshop, internet, light gaming (mostly emulators). In that order of importance. And overclocking isn't tooo important to me as I know nothing about it yet, maybe sometime down the line.

elpaletero

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
What!?! Both of those combos were available yesterday. I should've pulled the trigger then.... Oh well. I'll guess I'll just wait around for a couple of weeks incase another good combo comes around.

So if the performance difference isn't too drastic, I think I'll be better off with the AM2+/DDR2 combo. I think I will be moving this computer into the living room as a HTPC and building a bigger, better rig sometime next year. So I don't think I'll be seeing anymore upgrades other than the ones I'm doing now. Maybe a HTPC case and a PSU upgrade if anything.

elpaletero

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
I already ordered the P2 720 BE yesterday. I'm just looking for a mATX board and ram. I would like the mobo to have hdmi and spdif. I'm looking at the GA-MA785GM-US2H. Any opinions on this board?? Or any other board you might suggest I look at?

Thanks