Sign in with
Your question
Solved

120mm PWM Fans for Venomous X Black

Last response: in Overclocking
November 8, 2010 10:27:14 PM

Looking for suggestions on PWM fans for Venomous X Black from Thermalright.

Looking for quiet (No Delta's) 120mm PWM fans capable of letting me OC an i7-950 to 4.0 GHz with good temps.

Hoping for a black/black or black/white fan with no LEDS.

Planning on running a PWM Y splitter off ASUS P6X58D-E mobo CPU fan header if possible.

My current list of contenders is:

1. GELID Solutions FN-PX12-15
2. ARCTIC COOLING AF12PWM
3. Scythe SY1225SL12LM-P
4. Akasa 120mm x 25mm Apache Black Super Silent PWM Fan w/ Hydro Dynamic Bearings
5. Cooljag Everflow 120mm x 25mm 9-Blade PWM Fan

Any opinions on the above? Other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
a c 241 K Overclocking
November 9, 2010 1:36:45 AM

Noiseblocker BlackSilent Fan XLP - 120mm PWM
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
November 9, 2010 6:59:03 AM

ATF_ILLINI said:
Looking for suggestions on PWM fans for Venomous X Black from Thermalright.

Looking for quiet (No Delta's) 120mm PWM fans capable of letting me OC an i7-950 to 4.0 GHz with good temps.

Hoping for a black/black or black/white fan with no LEDS.

Planning on running a PWM Y splitter off ASUS P6X58D-E mobo CPU fan header if possible.

My current list of contenders is:

1. GELID Solutions FN-PX12-15
2. ARCTIC COOLING AF12PWM
3. Scythe SY1225SL12LM-P
4. Akasa 120mm x 25mm Apache Black Super Silent PWM Fan w/ Hydro Dynamic Bearings
5. Cooljag Everflow 120mm x 25mm 9-Blade PWM Fan

Any opinions on the above? Other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I hope you are looking at 2 fans for push pull config... All the fans you listed are good... i like the akasa's a little more of the lot... but i came across one which really blew me off... Noiseblocker M12-P... i just saw it in a friends rig and man was it silent... and that too at 2000 rpm... its a bit on the expensive side close to noctua's but they are pwm so one notch better... and the design and finish is top notch... i looked up on it on the net and found this

Also regarding the splitter... my recommendation would be to go for a this PWM splitter... if its still available or you can mod a couple of cables to look like this... this draws power direct from the PSU but still maintains PWM control for all the fans and doesnt confuse the mobo with multiple rpm feedback...
Related resources
November 9, 2010 3:12:26 PM

Thanks henydiah - nice find.

Thanks abully. - Yes push/pull and I'm planning on getting the PSU powered PWM splitter that you mentioned.

I like both of the Noiseblockers you guys mentioned, but I'm a bit concerned bout how the Noiseblocker NB-Multiframe M12-P would definitely not work with the heatsink fan clips and might not fit in the optional fan holder for the Venomous X.

Thoughts?

So Noiseblocker BlackSilent Fan XLP - 120mm PWM leading the way currently.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 10, 2010 4:11:38 AM

Ermm..... ATF, if you buy the Noiseblocker fans, not to say they are bad. But... They are kind of pricy, at their price point for 2 fans. You could get 2 Scythe Slipstreams or 2 Noctua NH-12P fans and get a fan controller and still have the same cost.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 10, 2010 5:56:13 AM

ATF_ILLINI said:
I'm a bit concerned bout how the Noiseblocker NB-Multiframe M12-P would definitely not work with the heatsink fan clips and might not fit in the optional fan holder for the Venomous X.

I really cant say since i havent used these bracket... my understanding is case fans with 120X120X25 specs are universal in outline irrespective of their shape... but i could be wrong... i checked with my friend who has the fan and he says the outer edges of the fan corresponds to a normal 120mm fan... but if you are having doubts then go with other choice...
m
l
a c 145 K Overclocking
November 10, 2010 5:42:07 PM

Suggest reading this article:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

where the Venomous-X-RT is listed among the top coolers (2nd place) for some ideas.

In my 2 builds from last week, I used these fans and splitter cable:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10026/fan-639/Scythe_...
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8418/cab-150/FrozenCP...

very quiet, 1300 rpm, 26 dBa

Created several OC profiles for the machine owner with the the 24/7/365 profile being at 3.82 GHz (160 BCLK) and 1600 memory speed (10 mem multiplier). Furthest I could get with these settings under OCCT was about 68C. All case fans (3 speed jobs in DF-85) were at their lowest setting

Got to 4 GHz at 167 but w/ memory at 1670 speed couldn't get thru an overnight run of P95.

Made several other OC profiles (Asus R3E lets you save about 10 separate BIOS profiles) at 4.0, 4.2 and 4.3 but had to keep mem multiplier at 8 and drop CPU multiplier down.

BTW, if you are interested in quiet computing, I'd suggest using the PWM splitter cable from this post which allows the PWM speed control to function (off the MoBo CPU header) as opposed to any PSU plug in type. You may notice that w/ twin fans tho, the lowest speed setting under which the fans will actually "come up to speed" will be 50%.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 10, 2010 5:55:28 PM

A couple more suggestions from my personal experience. I've used Scythe, Vantec, CoolerMaster, Enermax, Gelid, and Arctic Cooling for my fans. The best (quiet & flow) from my experience is the Enermax fans with the "twister" bearing. The "cluster" model is my fav at the moment but it is a white/white fan. They have white LED's too but they come with a switch to turn them off. Plus, the blades pop off the housing so you can actually clean the thing properly.

Other than Enermax, you may find the Arctic Cooling AF12PWM to have what you need. I'm not sure if you noticed, but it comes with a PWM socket to daisy-chain PWM fans together. I've used these fans and it works great if you only have a single PWM header to work with. You may find this convenient since you are looking to have a 2x PWM controlled push-pull configuration and this would mean you don't need a PWM splitter.

Here is an article that has a very comprehensive list of 120mm fans all compared that might help. It's from last year, but still has some good info:

Be Cool: Ultimate 120/140 mm Fans Roundup

I have no personal experience with Akasa, Noiseblocker, or Cooljag so I can't help you there.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 11, 2010 7:45:25 AM

JackNaylorPE said:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8418/cab-150/FrozenCP...

BTW, if you are interested in quiet computing, I'd suggest using the PWM splitter cable from this post which allows the PWM speed control to function (off the MoBo CPU header) as opposed to any PSU plug in type. You may notice that w/ twin fans tho, the lowest speed setting under which the fans will actually "come up to speed" will be 50%.

I disagree... getting a y splitter for mobo header fans is not advisable... see this thread where it explains this in detail...
m
l
a c 241 K Overclocking
November 11, 2010 8:08:43 AM

buy what in your heart , near your place, easy warranty ! long time used .....cool
m
l
November 23, 2010 2:31:49 PM

Best answer selected by ATF_ILLINI.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 23, 2010 2:47:49 PM

Thanks for the BA and all the best for your rig...
m
l
!