zoridon

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
I have a gigabyte GA P35 DS3L motherboard Rev 1, when I connect a DVD to the sata ports or to the IDE ports the DVD fails to recognize or read about half of my game disks. For example Red Alert 3 and Oblivion. When I took the IDE DVD and connected to my sons old computer it correctly recognized the game disk so its not the DVD Players (I have tried 3 different brands) 2 sata and 1 IDE. I updated the Bios to the latest revision, played with my bios settings and nothing. Any sugesstions?

bilbat

Splendid
What BIOS rev are you on? Have you ever done the "Load Optimized Defaults" for the board? Recently, someone PMd me regarding some incompatible firmware on a DVD, but I think we can assume here, as several don't work, that's not the problem. Another question - have you recently added a new USB device? USB stuff can be problematic with these boards - really weird symptoms...

zoridon

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
I am on the latest Bios F9 dated June 16th 2009, I loaded Optimized defaults after the flash, I have no problems connecting any USB devices and I even took the IDE DVD ROM I had out of the case and connected to an external USB 2.0 enclosure, although the Computer recognizes the DVD Player when I load a game disk it fails to read it. This is with 3 different DVDs, one is a samsung, the other is a sony and I can't remember the 3rd. The IDE drive works fine in my sons computer case and recognizes the Game disks. That tells me the DVD players are not the problem and something to do with the motherboard is. Contemplating a fresh install of Windows XP since its been over about 18 months since my last install.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007

I was going to point out that this may be a reason there is a Rev. 2 DS3L, but I just caught something that makes it sound less like the motherboard's fault.

I even took the IDE DVD ROM I had out of the case and connected to an external USB 2.0 enclosure, although the Computer recognizes the DVD Player when I load a game disk it fails to read it.

Judging by this statement, it rules out the SATA/IDE ports being bad. It makes that re-install you mention sound like a good idea.

zoridon

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
Yea I was thinking that, some sort of corrupt code in the XP OS, I was hoping going to SP3 would fix the problem as well but it didn't. Actually noticed the problem over a year ago with Oblivion but wrote it off till I bought Red Alert 3 as a disk problem. It wasn't until this last go around that I have verified some sort of bug. I know the computer recognized Oblivion when I first built it and later failed to recognize the disk. Only upgrades since has been a quad core CPU and a new Sata DVD Writer, and going from 3 to 4 gigs of ram, all of of which were purchased after I first noticed the problem. Guess I'll start backing up my favorites and some docs.