Video Sync to PocketPC

January 12, 2005 10:57:01 AM

I can sync mp3 files without any problems, but when I try to sync mpeg video
to my PocketPC I get the error "Windows Media cannot convert the file to the
format required by the device".

I have Windows Media Encoder installed and I have successfully used
third-party software to encode in WMV format, so I know that my system CAN
convert mpeg to WMV.

Also, when I go to Options->Tools->Devices and then select my 1GB compact
flash card, the "Video/TV Quality" section is greyed-out. I can edit the
"Music Quality" section.

Any suggestions?

More about : video sync pocketpc

Anonymous
January 26, 2005 7:35:02 PM

"Haggie" wrote:

> I can sync mp3 files without any problems, but when I try to sync mpeg video
> to my PocketPC I get the error "Windows Media cannot convert the file to the
> format required by the device".
>
> I have Windows Media Encoder installed and I have successfully used
> third-party software to encode in WMV format, so I know that my system CAN
> convert mpeg to WMV.
>
> Also, when I go to Options->Tools->Devices and then select my 1GB compact
> flash card, the "Video/TV Quality" section is greyed-out. I can edit the
> "Music Quality" section.
>
> Any suggestions?
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 8:01:03 PM

I have a SPV C500 smartphone and have exactly the same problem. Did you find
out how to do it? The smartphone has media player 9 and my PC has media
player 10. Is that anything to do with the problem?

"Haggie" wrote:

> I can sync mp3 files without any problems, but when I try to sync mpeg video
> to my PocketPC I get the error "Windows Media cannot convert the file to the
> format required by the device".
>
> I have Windows Media Encoder installed and I have successfully used
> third-party software to encode in WMV format, so I know that my system CAN
> convert mpeg to WMV.
>
> Also, when I go to Options->Tools->Devices and then select my 1GB compact
> flash card, the "Video/TV Quality" section is greyed-out. I can edit the
> "Music Quality" section.
>
> Any suggestions?
January 30, 2005 6:25:02 PM

I haven't been able to make it work. I've done a little research and I think
that you are required to have WMP10 and WMP Mobile 10 too.

It's a complete rip-off since I know that Windows Media Encoder can encode
for the PPC. I think it is a scam by Microsoft and the PPC manufacturers to
force owners of older PPCs to updated to new units that have Windows Mobile
2003 and WMP Mobile 10.

They aren't getting my money that easy. I'll just continue converting using
the free Windows Media Encoder and then dragging the file to CompactFlash on
a media reader. It is probably faster and less buggy that way anyway.

Good luck!

"jrushen" wrote:

> I have a SPV C500 smartphone and have exactly the same problem. Did you find
> out how to do it? The smartphone has media player 9 and my PC has media
> player 10. Is that anything to do with the problem?
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 4:29:06 PM

Thanks. I have also done some research. On the WMP 10 website it states from
Microsoft that WMP 10 is not going to be availble as an upgrade( although as
you say it is possible). The Audiovox version of the Smartphone (which is
identical to the C500) has WMP Mobile 10 already installed. What a CON!!
Evidently Orange is being bombarded by irate customers as they also have the
ability for an over-air configuration. I will also be getting on to them.
There is a program download specificly for the C500 where you can convert DVD
to Smartphone from HANDANGOO, this works brilliantly but again it will not
transfer from WMP10 to Smartphone. In all other respects the SPV C500 is
fantastic. Thanks again, if you here anything let me know and I will do the
same.

"Haggie" wrote:

> I haven't been able to make it work. I've done a little research and I think
> that you are required to have WMP10 and WMP Mobile 10 too.
>
> It's a complete rip-off since I know that Windows Media Encoder can encode
> for the PPC. I think it is a scam by Microsoft and the PPC manufacturers to
> force owners of older PPCs to updated to new units that have Windows Mobile
> 2003 and WMP Mobile 10.
>
> They aren't getting my money that easy. I'll just continue converting using
> the free Windows Media Encoder and then dragging the file to CompactFlash on
> a media reader. It is probably faster and less buggy that way anyway.
>
> Good luck!
>
> "jrushen" wrote:
>
> > I have a SPV C500 smartphone and have exactly the same problem. Did you find
> > out how to do it? The smartphone has media player 9 and my PC has media
> > player 10. Is that anything to do with the problem?
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 5:27:03 PM

Unfortunately, Toshiba does not care about customers, so complaints to them
are just a waste of time. They abandoned the e740 PPC users ages ago when
they refused to give us the upgrade to Windows Mobile 2003 and couldn't even
be bothered to give us an excuse.

[soapbox]Personally, I refuse to ever purchase another Toshiba product
again. That level of customer service is completely unacceptable. I would do
the same for M$, but it just isn't as easy. In protest, I've moved to
Mozilla, Thunderbird, and OpenOffice and strongly suggest everyone try these
OpenSource solutions.[/soapbox]
!