DirectX 9.0 "Cannot Copy File"

I recently upgraded my computer harware (new motherboard, processor, memory). I formatted hard drive and reinstalled windows XP SP1. I've installed Windows updates and drivers for my PC Hardware (video card, sound, etc.).
When I go to install DirectX 9.0b... it gives me an error at the start of the "COPY FILE" stage of the installation. ERROR: Cannot Copy File. I have tried downloading DirectX from microsoft website, and I have tried 2 CD's with DirectX 9.0b installation. All of them give me the same problem. Does anyone know what causes this error. Found a small description on my problem in the Microsoft Knowledge Base but all it says is that the DirectX installation files are corrupt.. find another installation source. (I apologize about being so vague on the error description.. not at problem PC at the moment.. can repost more information as needed)
I also noticed that in DxDiag.. it gives me an indication that files are missing upon starting DxDiag. It shows version 8.1 and has files listed as "missing" under the DirectX Files tab. It also fails the 3D display tests.
Thanks for any help.

Jeffo

Distinguished
May 11, 2004

I would try reinstalling DirectX 8.1 to see if that will
work. Then try the 9.0b isntall again.

If that doesn't work, try these tricks:
"dx90b_redist.exe" is the name of the full DirectX
package. You can extract the files with this command:
dx90b_redist /C /T:C:\DirectX9b
So this will extract to a folder on C: named "\DirectX9b".
Go into that folder and try using MSIEXEC commands.

The MSI package for DirectX is "mdxredist.msi". So type
the following to force a reinstall:
mdxredist.msi /fa

To uninstall, try this:
mdxredist.msi /x

Not sure, but some of the pre-9.0b vulnerabilities might
have caused your situation:
us;819696