Sign in with
Your question

Getting the most out of my computer.

Last response: in Overclocking
November 9, 2010 3:44:15 PM

I built my computer a while ago. and upgrade it gradually
I wanna know how to get the most out of my computer
I've been thinkin watercooling might be pretty cool but I want to know if it's worth it and if it's safe.
I also want to know if a foxconn can be overclocked.
my specs are:
3.4 quad core (AMD black edition)
4g of RAMM (soon to be 8)
GeForce gtx260 EVGA graphics card.
500w power supply (or 600)
and foxconn a78ax-s motherboard.
I would add any more details when I get home and actually look at the thing lol

More about : computer

a c 190 K Overclocking
November 9, 2010 3:47:41 PM

dont bother getting 4Gb more ram, pointless unless your doing heavy editing/modelling work, put the money onto a better card imo, nvid 460/ati 58xx
check your psu is good enough to power you.
not sure on foxx boards, I havbe an inkling they're not overclocker friendly though, but you should be able to bypass that by using amd overdrive or similar, I'd only do that if you cant bios clock though.
and an aftermarket cooler like the hyper212 will do you for cooling, unless you really really want to watercool :) 
Moto
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 9, 2010 4:46:48 PM

Yes, watercooling is safe...if you learn, understand and install it correctly. I've watercooled my main rig(s) for more than 8 years or so; enjoyed it from the very first day. However, there is a lot of bad information floating around on forums, so do yourself a favor and soak up as much information as you can. There is a sticky at the top of this forum (it has some watercooling essentials linked in it) as well as this link:http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/226970-water-cooling-essential-threads.html

If you have any questions, my username is the same on both forums...feel free to ask; on OCF, you'll find a lot more people dedicated to watercooling thank here.
m
l
Related resources
a c 190 K Overclocking
November 9, 2010 5:23:50 PM

I wasn't knocking W/c rubix, but a decent W/c loop is going to cost more than his rigs worth atm :p 
**Edit Then again, maybe he's better off learning and making mistakes on this rig than a shiny new beast hehe**

Moto
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 9, 2010 5:28:54 PM

Eh, cost depends. If you do some homework, you can get a pretty decent loop for pretty good prices. It's all about figuring out what is best for your build and budget to make the decision on what to buy and how to build.
m
l
a c 286 K Overclocking
November 9, 2010 5:29:57 PM

Hi j0k3r1192 and welcome to Tom's forum.

1- 8GB are a waste of money unless that you use many adobe applications at the same time.
2- Watercooling is very safe, but if you don¡t need it is a waste of money too. What do you want to do? Overclock? Buy a Hyper 212+ for $30 bucks.
3- Like I say, the watercooling isn't good if you don't want use it at extreme OC (something above 4.6GHz or more with 1.7V in the CPU),so, spend you money in a better mobo since that Foxxconn isn't good for OC.
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 9, 2010 5:33:54 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
I wasn't knocking W/c rubix, but a decent W/c loop is going to cost more than his rigs worth atm :p 
**Edit Then again, maybe he's better off learning and making mistakes on this rig than a shiny new beast hehe**

Moto

Right, I know. I just wanted to offer a knowledgeable voice from the WC community before it was completely voted against. :)  No worries.
m
l
!