Sign in with
Your question

Question about temperature please help!

Last response: in CPUs
June 20, 2009 10:56:48 PM

hey i am using the program speedfan 4.38 and i noticed something very strange. my computer shut of suddenly and i thought it was a power outage but my alarm clock wasn't flashing i have heard that when cores over heat in order to protect the cpu they shut themselves down. so i download the speedfan program.

EDIT: getting diff temps from different programs please refer to this picture:
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff73/shwanman1/shwan...

so i am assuming the fact i have a quad core processor and 4 temperature readings means that each temp is a temp for one of the cores. so i have 3 questions;

1. why is only one core blazing hot? or does temp 3 represent the overall temp of the cpu?
2. does that mean i have a faulty processor?
3. will adding another fan fix the issue i currently only have one kinds a dumb move huh?
4. should a buy a after market heat sync? i am currently using the one that came with the cpu

More about : question temperature

June 21, 2009 12:36:45 AM

speedfan never worked well for me, but the fact that temperature are reported normally with CPUid leads me to believe the issue is with speedfan, not your CPU. Ive overclocked a friends 9850, they run hot but not that hot. not while the other cores sit at 40*C. The CPUid one looks spot on though.
June 21, 2009 2:11:39 AM

mcnuggetofdeath said:
speedfan never worked well for me, but the fact that temperature are reported normally with CPUid leads me to believe the issue is with speedfan, not your CPU. Ive overclocked a friends 9850, they run hot but not that hot. not while the other cores sit at 40*C. The CPUid one looks spot on though.

thanks i was really hoping it wasn't my cpu i think i might add a after market cpu can anyway. feels like i should of had one for a while.
Related resources
June 21, 2009 3:30:13 AM

1. Speedfan temp 1, 2 and 3 are system component temps, NOT CPU temps. "Core" is the CPU temp. AMD CPU's only have 1 temp sensor for the whole CPU, so you won't see 4 (or 2 or 3) different per-core temps for them.
The CPUid numbered temps are also system components - you'll have to figure out which temp is which component as it varies by MB.
2-4. No problem, so you're OK and don't need to buy anything.

June 21, 2009 4:03:27 AM

Mondoman said:
1. Speedfan temp 1, 2 and 3 are system component temps, NOT CPU temps. "Core" is the CPU temp. AMD CPU's only have 1 temp sensor for the whole CPU, so you won't see 4 (or 2 or 3) different per-core temps for them.
The CPUid numbered temps are also system components - you'll have to figure out which temp is which component as it varies by MB.
2-4. No problem, so you're OK and don't need to buy anything.

so according to speedfan what on my computer is 80C? that number scares me.
a b à CPUs
June 21, 2009 4:26:19 AM

Keep HW Monitor open while loading up the system and going back to idle and seeing if TMPIN0 and TMPIN2 (temp 1 and temp3 in Speedfan) ever change. If the min and max are always the same it's safe to assume that it's an erroneous reading from a sensor that may not even exist.
a b à CPUs
June 21, 2009 9:22:00 PM

All true, but there's still the issue of why your PC shut down.
June 21, 2009 10:12:28 PM

The 80C may correspond to a non-existent sensor, but could be real. If your MB company has a hardware-monitoring program, try it. One component area that can get very hot is the VRMs (voltage regulator modules) -- I know many Abit MBs had this as a weak point. However, VRMs are rated up to 150C IIRC, so 80C wouldn't be too worrisome in that case.
June 22, 2009 12:53:37 AM

thanks to all of you for helping tons!
!