Question about temperature please help!

shwan

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
hey i am using the program speedfan 4.38 and i noticed something very strange. my computer shut of suddenly and i thought it was a power outage but my alarm clock wasn't flashing i have heard that when cores over heat in order to protect the cpu they shut themselves down. so i download the speedfan program.

EDIT: getting diff temps from different programs please refer to this picture:
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff73/shwanman1/shwantemps.jpg

so i am assuming the fact i have a quad core processor and 4 temperature readings means that each temp is a temp for one of the cores. so i have 3 questions;

1. why is only one core blazing hot? or does temp 3 represent the overall temp of the cpu?
2. does that mean i have a faulty processor?
3. will adding another fan fix the issue i currently only have one kinds a dumb move huh?
4. should a buy a after market heat sync? i am currently using the one that came with the cpu

mcnuggetofdeath

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
speedfan never worked well for me, but the fact that temperature are reported normally with CPUid leads me to believe the issue is with speedfan, not your CPU. Ive overclocked a friends 9850, they run hot but not that hot. not while the other cores sit at 40*C. The CPUid one looks spot on though.

shwan

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009

thanks i was really hoping it wasn't my cpu i think i might add a after market cpu can anyway. feels like i should of had one for a while.

Mondoman

Splendid
1. Speedfan temp 1, 2 and 3 are system component temps, NOT CPU temps. "Core" is the CPU temp. AMD CPU's only have 1 temp sensor for the whole CPU, so you won't see 4 (or 2 or 3) different per-core temps for them.
The CPUid numbered temps are also system components - you'll have to figure out which temp is which component as it varies by MB.
2-4. No problem, so you're OK and don't need to buy anything.

shwan

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009

so according to speedfan what on my computer is 80C? that number scares me.

randomizer

Champion
Keep HW Monitor open while loading up the system and going back to idle and seeing if TMPIN0 and TMPIN2 (temp 1 and temp3 in Speedfan) ever change. If the min and max are always the same it's safe to assume that it's an erroneous reading from a sensor that may not even exist.

Mondoman

Splendid
The 80C may correspond to a non-existent sensor, but could be real. If your MB company has a hardware-monitoring program, try it. One component area that can get very hot is the VRMs (voltage regulator modules) -- I know many Abit MBs had this as a weak point. However, VRMs are rated up to 150C IIRC, so 80C wouldn't be too worrisome in that case.