Cannot enter bios on Sony Vaio, just replaced hard drive

abc00013

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
I have a Sony Vaio VGN-S360 and just replaced the hard drive. When I try to install the operating system I get the message "invalid system disk." I have tried to access Bios with no luck. It is a Phoenix Bios and from doing an internet search it appears the key to access is either F1, F2, or F3. I have tried each with no success. I have also tried esc, del, etc. Is there something I am not doing, or need to do, after installing the hard drive to allow access to the Bios? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Is there something I am not doing, or need to do, after installing the hard drive to allow access to the Bios? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BIOS is a chip on the MB. HD is not needed to enter BIOS. Reboot and try tapping the delete key and enter BIOS. Set the first boot device to CD/DVD ROM. Place the OS install disk in the tray. Save and exit BIOS. When prompted to select any key to boot from CD, do so. The OS should load the files necessary to install the OS onto the HD from there.

FWIW, the "enter BIOS setup" key on my wife's Vaio all-in-one is F2. Need to repeatedly press it while the Vaio logo is on screen.

Other than that, there's no requirement to get into BIOS.

You should be getting invalid system disk with a new HD if you fail to get into BIOS and it tries to boot the OS.

Well, two long shots. Just today I had to power off a PC that froze when awakened from sleep. When I powered it back up, no matter how hard I hit the enter key I couldn't tell Windows to delete the recovery file. Then I couldn't get into BIOS either.

Turned out the batteries in the keyboard had just died.

Second long shot - are you still using the keyboard that originally came with the PC? Have you tried a different keyboard?

Gumption

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Hmmm, me senses a pattern...

The way I see it - the BIOS isn't the problem - but let's see :

1. Take out the hard disk, then boot up and try to get into the BIOS without. You don't need a hard disk to get into it.
2. Tell us what happens.

pradeeprox

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
hmm..thnx for the prompt reply...

i hav a 4yr old laptop vaio vgn-s56gp...took out the old 60gb hard disk and replaced it with a 320gb hard disk

my optical drive broke and i somehow installed win xp over the network using a tutorial by ryantaadams [cheers to his hard work]

i previously changed my bios setting to boot from only network and disabled all the other options like HDD optical drive and floppy drive...

nw i cant seem to go into the bios at all...

plz help

dandamukunda

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

The problem is similar to me, though it is a desktop. The problem started when I wanted to install XP in the machine. It was a single partition, i.e full 300 GB was C drive. From the installation disc, I formatted the C drive (instead of just deleting it, by mistake). Then I could not start the machine although the installation disc was in the CD/DVD drive. I can enter to bios only when my formatted 300 GB Hitachi SATA HD is NOT connected. Once I connect the HD, it prompts to press F2 to enter setup. After pressing F2, it shows in the same screen "entering setup...". After that nothing happens.

I have also tried by removing the CMOS battery. It actually did not matter. Without battery, I could enter bios only when the HD is not connected.

Plz tell me if I am missing some step.

Thanks in advance