Sign in with
Your question

AMD CPU Overheating...

Last response: in CPUs
June 21, 2009 3:07:10 AM

I was worried about my cpu tempreture because it idles at 45- 47... I downloaded a stress test program and at 70% load my cpu was already at 55c. I'm scared because at 60c, silicon becomes unstable right? Can anyone help give me some tips for making it cooler. I think they mounted the IHS badly... I'm about to buy the CM Hyper 212 to replace my stock... Are these temperature normal? I haven't over clocked it or anything except under voltage my cpu like 0.5 volts. Thanks...

More about : amd cpu overheating

June 21, 2009 3:07:49 AM

Oh and I have the AMD II X4 940 and an Antec case with 2 fans on the front and 2 on the back..
a b à CPUs
June 21, 2009 3:11:12 AM

Can you clarify this comment you made?

I haven't over clocked it or anything except under voltage my cpu like 0.5 volts. Thanks...

What freq is it running at now?

You may need to reapply for HSF - shutdown, remove, clean off the old grease, reapply, refit and try.

idle temps should be lower than 45 unless you have oc'd it a lot.
Related resources
June 21, 2009 3:15:33 AM

Well the default voltage for my cpu is 1.35, right now I lowered it to 1.33 and about the same tempretures... If I lower any more I'll get a bluescreen when windows starts... I don't over clock at all, I was planning to overclock it but with these temps, even playing some old games isn't possible...

The current frequency is 3013
FSB 1087
Bus 202

When I first got the stock fan it already came with some grease so I put it on, but then, I bought some AS5 and cleaned the cpu and fan and put AS5 on. Still the same old tempretures...

June 21, 2009 3:53:10 AM

If you are running the stock cooler the temps arent that far off. With the stock cooler my 940 idled near 50 and maxed out into the 60's. If you are looking for a good cooler, get a Xigmatek S1283. I went thru 3 after market coolers before trying the Xigmatek which dropped my temps to idling in the low 30's and maxing in the mid 40's.
a b à CPUs
June 21, 2009 4:01:22 AM

right ... you dropped it ... I see.

Sounds like you should try using core temp or another similar utiity to confirm the temps are not some weird software alomaly first.

If reseating the cpu / hsf hasn't worked then try another aftermarket unit like your thinking.

In the meantime 60C under load isn't a bit deal anyway ... but keeping an eye on it is wise.

Tidying the internal cabling to maximise air flow is a good idea - I cut away all ofthe mesh in front of my vents ... pers choice and not recommended for little fingers (kids).

Are the front vents on that case stopping the air from being drawn in effectively?

A lot of cases are poorly designed.
June 21, 2009 4:01:40 AM

Some one said the Hyper 212 was about the same preformance but lower price...
a c 105 à CPUs
June 21, 2009 5:06:58 AM

my AMD CPU will reach 62C during gaming, 55C is a normal temp for peak performance
a b à CPUs
June 21, 2009 2:57:49 PM

I don't think your temps are that bad.
I certainly would go for remounting and reapplying the thermal paste again though.
AMD stock coolers are actually pretty good, my 920 clocked at 3.2 has never gone over about 54, idles at around 34. Be sure to use the correct amount of thermal paste, too much is as bad as too little. I use the rice grain size technique, sit the heatsink down about 1/8 turn off, and with steady pressure down turn the heatsink into position, and lock it down. May or may not be the best way, but I never have had any heat problems.
June 21, 2009 4:22:41 PM

I feel a lot better, my cpu at full load was at 57-59 for 10 minutes...
!