I7 gaming rig, advice and confirmation plz (pic)

godfath3r

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
hey folks im just waiting for payday to roll on friday before i start ordering. ive came up with a set up which costs £1300 which is about $1800 to you fellow brothers. i was just want confirmation whether;

>this set up is fine?
>will it handle crysis and other high end games on the higher settings?
>is there anything you would change?
>and finally do you think the psu will take another 285 in sli further down the line?

cheers all

**already got cd-drive and os sorted

o0 zeno 0o

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
You're missing a cdrom. Seem's expensive to me, but I guess if they are selling you a built overclocked system it's not that bad.

Oops, I just realized, you can't change the motherboard because it's part of the bundle. This means you can't add another GTX 285 later. Change that GTX 285 to a GTX 295 or a HD 4870 X2. Or at least change it to a HD 4870 1GB and add a second HD 4870 1GB when you can.

fullmetall

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Ahh, thats why, im at work, company wont allow me to go to that page hah, strict bastards. never mind, well by hearing what yall are saying,

He's got enough to get a i7 rig or a high end x4 940....you can build a i7 on $1400 u.s.a not including the monitor.

It's GA-EX58-UD3R (not GA-EP45-UD3R). It already has Crossfire. The problem is that it's a bundle, with the MB/CPU/RAM/cooler all picked by the seller and overclocked, and they picked a non-SLI X58. If he wants multi-GPU he has to stick with ATI cards. He is getting a 24" monitor, so multi-GPU is important.

@OP:
BTW, the Corsair 650W can't handle two GTX 285 cards either. nVidia recommends something like Corsair 850W or 1000W for that sort of thing.

godfath3r

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
ohh cheers aevm, great help. i think i will leave that bundle then by the sounds of it and go for a mobo that supports sli so i can updrage somewhere down the line. and i shall have to think again about that psu then. it looks like i will have to wait to next pay day again and reassess the situation. im patient i can wait another month its somethin i dont want to rush into. cheers again folks much appreicated

ps. prices seem expensive cause we get ripped off over in the uk, ohh and then there is the poor value of the £ atm :(

The low £ means Canadians like me can get very cheap DVDs from amazon UK, and I did spend a lot that way recently. This sort of thing should help the UK economy recover sooner. Maybe it's not such a bad thing after all. It also means UK companies that export stuff have an easier time paying salaries, so fewer layoffs, again an excellent thing.

Start another thread when you're ready to buy, OK? Things are changing very fast these days, and it would be smart to get fresh advice at that time. It may even be worth waiting for June or whenever the new 40nm video cards are out.