Computer reboots when playing games

veneratio

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Hi, I am a new member. I bought a computer from cyber power less than a year ago and than installed windows vista 64 ultima. I recently started playing games on it, and noticed that after a while the computer reboots. Here are the system specifications.

Apevia X-Telstar Aluminum Full Tower 420W Case w/ Temp Display and Fan Control
CS_FAN: Extra 3-Color Neon Light LED Case Fan
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 i7-920 2.66 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366
CD: Sony 20X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive
CD2: 16X DVD ROM
FAN: Asetek Liquid CPU Cooling System (Extreme Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)
FLOPPY: 1.44 MB FLOPPY DRIVE
HDD: Extreme Performance (RAID-0) with 2 Identical Hard Drives(1TB (500GBx2) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
MOTHERBOARD: Asus P6T Deluxe Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard SAS Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA,Dual GbLAN,USB2.0,IEEE1394a,&7.1Audio
MEMORY: 6GB (3x2GB) PC1333 DDR3 PC3 10666 Triple Channel Memory
NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100 NETWORK CARD
PRO_WIRING: Professional Wiring for All WIRINGs Inside The System Chasis with High Performance Thermal Compound on CPU
POWERSUPPLY: 680 Watts Power Supplies (Hush Power Supply SLI/CrossFire Ready)
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX280 1GB 16X PCI Express (EVGA Powered by NVIDIA

I also downloaded a program called "Core Temp 0.99.4 it shows the following (this is with just Firefox running)

Core #0 53C
Core #1 48C
Core #2 52C
Core #4 47C

I though that perhaps it's the power supply, but it seems sufficient enouph 680 Watts. I also upgraded all the video drivers. I have no idea what is causing this.

I checked event viewer and get this
Source: USER32 Event ID: 1074 Reason Code: 0x500ff

Any help would be appreciated.

No. A 650 watt Corsair would be plenty.

I googled "hush 680 watt". Quite a few hits. Absolutely no specs. That leads me to believe that it's an excessively mediocre power supply.

Symptoms indicate a problem with temperatures or power. Going from a 2D desktop or application to a 3D game doubles the power a GPU needs. That can be enough to cause power problems.

veneratio

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009

So you think it's the power supply? I am not over clocking and here is a screen shot of my temp while idle:

CoreTempBeforeIdle.jpg

veneratio

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
I just did a BurnInTest V6.0, I did a Maximum CPU temp test and ran it for 11 min 20 sec, I received no errors, did 10 cycles and 10.303 Trillion Operations and my Core temp got to 90C but the Computer did not shut down? I guess I can check, the computer came like this from cyber power.

veneratio

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Ok, just did a 3D graphics test using BurnIn Test v6.0 and about 2 minutes into the test the computer reboot itself. Yes, it's under warranty, but tell them to fix what?

veneratio

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Ok, but when I ran the BurnIn Test the Temp went to 90 and it did not command a shutdown yet when I did a 3-D test in BurnIn it did do a computer reset? Obviously something is wrong with the temp but can something also be wrong with the power supply. I want to make sure they fix everything in 1 shot.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Hi

First of all i would re-seat the heatsink

I have read reviews on your

Sunbeam PSU-HUSH680-US-BL 680W

and unfortunately it seems to be a bit crap..

Go and get yourself a 800w + Corsair - and this should fix them all

veneratio

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009

What type of power supply would you recommend for my configuration?

kbits

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007

Something is definitely wrong with those temp, considering you aren't overclocking anything, but the shut down issue is more likely power related because like you said, it occur only when you stress the whole system.

Swapping the PSU for a better one and reseating heatsink are all good ideas, but will probably void your warranty. Have them look at those specific issues first. Basically, you want your computer to at least complete a burn-in test at stock speed (CPU & GPU) without crashing!

Also, I suggest you try a couple of pass of memtest before you bring back the computer, so you can rule out a bad memory problem. If there is a problem, have them replace the memory and test again.

Agreed to the above. While the Corsair is a fine psu, and will solve any power problems you may have, youve paid plenty for that rig, and its up to the supplier to stand by their work.
Your cpu temps are too high, like was said. Make them fix it all, especially the power and cpu heat problems

veneratio

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
I guess I will call cyber power tomorrow and see what they say. It's just a pain because I have to send out the whole computer for them to fix it and god knows how long that will take. I will run the BurnIn Test RAM and see what happens. It only crashes during the 3D Graphics test. The sad thing is, it crashes during warcraft 3. Thanks for the help thus far.

veneratio

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
The RAM test passed. So far the only test that crashed my computer was the 3D Graphics Test. With the "CPU Coverage" and "Maximum CPU Temp" test's the computer does not crash but I have to stop the test manually as the core temps get to 90 and I don't want to destroy the CPU.

shiftstealth

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Core i7 is good up to 100C then it throttles so it wont go higher, thats core temp not CPU temp. I'm on the stock cooler and i go to 86C on prime95 at 1.352vcore at 3.5ghz. if you know enough take out the video card then try the test again with onboard if you have it.

xanxaz

Distinguished
May 3, 2005
clean the dust out off the VGA and CPU FAN. make a chkdsk to the RAID array, disable autoreboot in case of system crash to see the error it gives... update drivers from vga. thats my advice. forget software tests. they are unrealistic sometimes.

veneratio

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009

I already updated the drivers for the VGA. I disabled auto reboot and the CPU FAN and VGA seem to be dust free. I just finished doing chkdsk and everything came out fine.

Trying to reach cyberpower customer support is almost impossible, and they would probably make me pay to send them the computer to their facilities for repair. Perhaps I should just put on arctic silver 5 and buy a corsair power supply 650 to 700 W instead of spending money on mailing the system?

veneratio

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009

Yes, I believe in Vista it's always on unless you put a command into RUN?

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

the more leg room the psu has the cooler the machine runs.

IE the powersupply doesnt have to work hard in giving the power to the machine there for it runs cooler

if yoy have a machine which requires 550 watts running on a 600w powersupply the psu will run hotter that a 800w.

I always over subscribe psus down to the fact that i may need an upgrade later on.

TRENDING THREADS