EP45-UD3P wont even post

dayman01

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
I am having a problem with the gigabyte EP45-UD3P motherboard, its not even posting, i have done everything i have read on here, and its only turning on for about 1 acutal second then turns off and just repeats that over and over again. i have a Q9550 processor in this motherboard, and checked for bent pins and found none, tried to boot with only 1 stick of ram, still nothing. Never had this problem until i started with gigabyte motherboards. If anyone can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Make sure you try it with nothing connected except the power switch and cpu fan. Disconnect the drive cables from the M/B, remove vid and other cards, etc... make sure the CPU fan is running.

This was a working system? Or did you upgrade something recently?

The sudden failure is similar to what you'd get with a major CPU error. Or bad power to board/CPU. You have another Power Supply to try it on?

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
I have the same board with a E-8400 and never experienced this problem.
It might be a problem with the bios or you might have gotten one of those boards that should have been caught at the factory...
I would send it back and be asured that the next one will work as expected.
Make sure you're not shoting anything out...that too will cause a system shutdown after power is applied.
please reply.....JQ

dayman01

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009

Thanks for your reply, and yes i have tried all of that, and yes the cpu fan does run for that slight second it will turn on. all six lights on the motherboard turn on too. And i have tried it on a different power supply too. This was never a working system, i just put it together the other day. I just didn't know if it was the cpu or the motherboard. i figured one of the two is bad.

dayman01

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009

How am i to know for sure that nothing is shorting out? i have it on a peice of cardboard to test it, so no metal is touching the board except for whats supposed to touch it. that is the only thing i could figure out that would be shorting it out. But i think i just got a nonworking motherboard.

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Well, nothing's shorting out then, but I wonder if you have and need a good ground? When ATX M/Bs, PSUs and "soft" power switches first came out, I had trouble with getting them to do anything but make a slight bump/thunk as they powered up then nothing. I built a real "board", wooden with a ground wire from the rigged metal post near Power Supply and had no problems. I'd screw in that one hole, one with silver ring around it, to ground it.

I was surprised recently when my old AOpen board ran fine without a ground. I could be wrong here, but there is a grounding issue of some sort when bread-boarding these motherboards. Others here know more than I do. Of course, you may have tested it in the case first. (I was reading another thread and jsc posted link to a boot problems page - good to read. He also mentions bread-boarding and doesn't mention a ground, so I'm likely wrong on that. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-261145_13_0.html )

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
How about your power leds....
When I boot mine it has 3 leds on...red, yellow and green.(from top to bottom or right to left)
After bios the leds go out.
What kind of power supply are you using? and are you using the 4 pins by the cpu?

bilbat

Splendid
The necessity for the 'board mount' grounds is because the case grounds established are connected to a 'board layer' that shields the high speed traces from capcitance developed to the case's mounting plate - high speed (and these things are beaucoup fast!) signals are prone to 'skewing' from any stray capacitance effect, which interferes with incredibly finicky detection timings and rise-times. If the board is not in a case, this factor is not an issue; if it is, this is always a good idea:
0043r.jpg

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Dayman I hope you get your issue resolved and not too expensive.

Bilbat I checked out your link and the pics are nice....but if you went with a better case so you could stuff alot of that wire behind the mobo you'ld be better off...
later...JQ

I have never done any special grounding on any of my breadboarded systems. And I always breadboard a new build. My last four builds used Gigabyte motherboards: (in no particular order) an EP45-UD3P, an EP45-UD3L, a G41M-ES2H, and an EP35-DS3P. I always install the OS and I always run Prime95 for 48 hours before I put everything in a case.

I have over 40 years experience maintaining military electronics systems so I know about proper grounding procedures. I just have never had any problems with simply grounding the motherboard to the PSU through the PSU cables.

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Good luck Dayman, let us know how it turns out.

jsc, the more I think about it the more I remember it being issues with the "soft" power switches. I was there for the transition from AT to ATX cases, power supplies and boards, working for a retail store at the time and had to create a new bench setup for the new stuff. I think the early soft switches wanted the board grounded.

Ahhh, I can remember my first clone - had read about it on a 1200 baud BBS - this new 8MHz Intel 8088 that IBM wasn't using because of their relatively new AT using the 80286. We were selling Tandy's for IBM compatibles at the time but they weren't perfect. I ordered a clone board and we were the first place in town to sell them.