Sign in with
Your question

Need Some Help Deciding Which CPU To Get

Last response: in CPUs
June 21, 2009 7:41:11 AM

What I like to get is a processor that can handle gaming and video encoding without overkill and that uses DDR3 if possible.

And my other question is how well will one work with compression files with winrar, using video converting apps, and gaming.

As far as gaming I like playing games like Crysis, and third person shooters online. Others would be Action and adventure.

I'm not to sure of which I should go with. Can anyone help me please.

One more thing when I get the cash together I like to put 2 GTS 250's in SLI mode inside a haf case if that helps.

Unless there's a better deal than buying 2 x 134.99 cards. Thanks in advance.

More about : deciding cpu

June 21, 2009 9:17:51 AM

I can't really afford an i7 or the AMD quad II either... lol me poor:p  sort of speak. I'm looking for no more than 125ish cpu at most if that helps. And yes if I had the money I would get an i7 core. But that will have to wait till next year heh and thanks for your post.
a b à CPUs
June 21, 2009 2:12:11 PM

For around $165 go with the e8400. Best CPU in that price range. Plus, you can overclock it to aa 1600 Fs\SB and it won't hold back your SLI GTS 250.
Related resources
a c 96 à CPUs
June 21, 2009 2:22:22 PM

warcloudff said:
What I like to get is a processor that can handle gaming and video encoding without overkill and that uses DDR3 if possible.

And my other question is how well will one work with compression files with winrar, using video converting apps, and gaming.

As far as gaming I like playing games like Crysis, and third person shooters online. Others would be Action and adventure.

I'm not to sure of which I should go with. Can anyone help me please.

One more thing when I get the cash together I like to put 2 GTS 250's in SLI mode inside a haf case if that helps.

EDIT: I saw your follow-up message as soon as I posted and decided to update my advice. Probably the best CPU for you is the AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition if you primarily play games. It costs $120 at Newegg.com and will be a very good gaming processor, uses DDR3, and will be reasonably decent with video encoding and file compression. The video encoding will not be as fast as a quad-core...but no quad-core in this price range will be able to play games nearly as well as the Phenom II X3 720.

If you mostly do video encoding, then I'd suggest the AMD Opteron 1354. It is the least-expensive quad-core CPU you can get your paws on ($75) and it does not have the infamous TLB bug. It also doesn't support DDR3, but it's a $75 CPU. It should be faster than the Phenom II X3 720 in video encoding, particularly if you use encoding applications that have only an even number of threads. Gaming performance should be okay enough, particularly since you are most likely feeding a high-resolution screen with your SLi setup. The GPU is more important in that arrangement than the CPU, so the $75 Opteron would be your best bet in that case.
a c 96 à CPUs
June 21, 2009 2:42:55 PM

Quote:
The E8400 is a great processsor, highly overclockable, however at $160 its waaay overpriced for a dual core, not to mention s775 is dead.

Plus, the $103 Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition is roughly as fast as the E8400 and uses a current socket (AM3).

Quote:
For $189 you can get a X4 940BE 3ghz quad. For SLI 250's your gonna need a quad at 3ghz or more or your gonna have a bottleneck.

Newegg also has the Phenom II X4 920 for $150. I had that in my initial recommendations but went to less-expensive CPUs since he said he was a bit budget-limited. The Phenom II X4 920 would be my overall pick in this situation, to tell the truth. I'd tell the OP to forget the GTS250 SLi and go with the Phenom II X4 920 and a nice Radeon HD 4850 and call it a day.
June 22, 2009 12:32:22 AM

e 8500 for 180.00!!! it overclocks to 4.0 on air! for everything you going to do , its the best all around.. just look at toms cpu charts. intel is the way! you will have to scroll half way down the page to see what the amd,s scored.
a c 83 à CPUs
June 22, 2009 12:46:17 AM

hot74rod2003 said:
e 8500 for 180.00!!! it overclocks to 4.0 on air! for everything you going to do , its the best all around.. just look at toms cpu charts. intel is the way! you will have to scroll half way down the page to see what the amd,s scored.

lol

That's all I've got to say to that.
a b à CPUs
June 22, 2009 11:23:52 AM

@OP

a) budget - 125 what?
b) what else have you got in your build? I'm guessing you need motherboard and RAM?
a b à CPUs
June 22, 2009 1:54:24 PM

seriously dude get an x3 710
ddr3 support
easily ocable to 3.0ghz
7.5mb cache
all ul ever need or want
but i dont think there are any am3 boards that support sli currently, but if ur willing to forgoe the ddr3 which really has no major performance advantage over ddr2
you could go sli easily, but if u find ddr3 necessary for watever reason u could get 2 4870s for just a little more.

peace out
a b à CPUs
June 22, 2009 2:14:29 PM

intel fanboys seriously i got nuttin really bad to say about intel, remember when the fx62 was king of the world, they cost an arm and a leg too, but if your on a budget then amd has the widest range and best bang for buck with just a small performance hit, you could buy 1 board that supports from the weakest am2 to the most powerfull am3 and i hate it when people act like the weakest intel beats the most powerfull amd, intel has the performance crown now nobodys argueing that but if you cant afford a $180 cpu then y cant you buy a $119 cpu which multitasks better. get the 710 dude you wont be disappointed

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/1669/rtr.jpg
a c 96 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
June 22, 2009 3:43:28 PM

warcloudff said:
~~~

I'll make a budget for you :D 

Phenom 720BE / Asus 790GX AM3: $180 AR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

G.Skill 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600: $85
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2 x XFX Radeon HD 4870 1GB: $300
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you feel an overwhelming urge to spend even more money in your quest for superiority and dominion over us lessor beings buy the 720BE / Asus 790FX combo for $264 ...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

!