Is High End DDR2 Ram Worth it?

brendeng

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
im in the market for a new computer with DDR2 ram, and i was wondering if the high end ram sticks like Corsair XMS2, Knigston hyper x, Mushkin, and Corsair dominator are worth the extra money?

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
The biggest thing that will affect performance is the timings. Going from cas 6 or 5 to 4 will have a greater effect than going from 800 to 1066. Also, with Intel CPU's using a FSB, you tend to see a bit of a performance boost by running the FSB and Memory at a 1:1 ratio.

Keep in mind that the standard voltage for DDR2 is 1.8v. Most memory is sold at higher voltages which is nothing more than overclocked settings that the manufacturer guarantees will work with those modules. I always suggest people get the memory with the lowest timings and the lowest voltages.

This
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146731
is a set that I've suggested quite often and I still believe is a very good choice.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
The answer to your question isn't a simple yes or no. But, if that is what you seek, then I will say no, they are not worth it! I have found that great memory doesn't have to be the top of the line from any given brand. In fact, the most expensive isn't always (or typically) the best. Don't fall into the "highest numbers = greatest performance" ploy. Always (!) keep in mind that all these companies have a marketing team whose job it is to upsell products - the best and only way they can do that is to repackage and rename products and entice noobs and semi-noobs to waste their money. Eventually we all learn. That said, all the products you listed are solid - go with the least expensive if you want to stick to one of these. Good luck!

brendeng

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Muskin's timing is 5-5-5-12
Kingston Hyper x is 5-5-5-15
Corsair XMS2 is a 5-5-5-18
and i have removed the Dominator from the running :D

But my new question is whats the difference? the higher the numbers the better? because there all pretty much the same price on newegg...

brendeng

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
well on cyberpowerpc.com those are the only choices, so im kinda only interested in the brands i listed.. which is the best value for the money outa the 4?

Did you read any of the very good answers that have been posted? Do any of them fit in with anything that several people have told you over and over? Can you make a decision based on what everyone has just told you, or are you having problems understanding? What board are you putting them on? Are any of them on your motherboard manufacture's compatibility list? If they require more than 1.9 ovlts, also be prepared for initial no-boot problems.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007

The lower number the number the better but you also have to look at the voltages the stick require to achieve those numbers. Manufacturers cover for lesser chips by increasing the required voltages to achieve better timings.

Obviously you are buying a pre-built system. One thing that system builders do is jack up the price of upgrades such as larger hard drives and better memory, to make money while keeping the price of the base system low. My suggestion would be to just get whatever RAM is the cheapest and upgrade it yourself if desired.

Soggy_Popcorn

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006

OP, don't necessarily listen to this; cas4 is not always ideal.

If you are planning on pushing the ram beyond its stock speeds very much, and you will if you want to keep a 1:1 ratio, then timings will have to be sacrificed, and you'll be paying a premium for low timings which you don't need or want.

PS: heartily agreed with the previous posters that OCZ is great stuff. It'll take your overclocking abuse, even if you get their budget models. TBH, a lot of high end ram is overrated and overmarketed. Plus, I've heard great things about their customer service and return policy.

OCZ is quality.

Yes there is a difference. Go with the Mushkin :D. I take it you're looking at the Mushkin Redline 1000 with 5-5-5-12 as the Black 1066 is 5-5-5-15 but easily runs at the same 5-5-5-12 as the redline (I was gonna get the redline as it was cheaper than the 1066, but the 1066 recently dropped in price so..). At current prices I think the high end memory is certainly worth the money. Of course if you're gonna go prebuilt or something then it just depends on what they are charging you :D.